Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EBAY fishing Gear?

EBAY fishing Gear?

I've been lookingon Ebay at a range of Melaluka and Pelagic fishing rods and reels. Has anyone had any experience with these brands?

Re: EBAY fishing Gear?

melaluka reels , i bought a couple to throw in the boat and leave in there , 2 baitrunners over 18mths ago and they are still ok , bit noisy and clunky but i have only washed them off after each trip , never greased them and still going strong .

I have a pelagic rod, caught doggy macs on it, still going ok. and got it for about 20 bucks including postage i think it was so a bargain in my books

Mike

Cheap and nasty - I have had a few "Pelagic" rods....one snapped when throwing a light weight sinker and the other is in the shed : as I will not use it....if your keen on fishing buy a better brand.....you don't have to spend big bucks to get a good shimano / daiwa rod...

I purchased a range of the "Pelagic" e-bay rods.
    Good for the price @ $20 - $30 each !!
    Have had the 12-15 kg o/head out a few times offshore. Pulled in good Snappa no trouble and a 20kg Cod !!
    Have noticed a bit of green around the runners but I'm a shocker for cleaning my gear.

Cheers
    Craigie.

cheers guys sounds like they are all right at the right price

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colourco View Post
    cheers guys sounds like they are all right at the right price
    The only rods that are good value are the Pelagic 8 to 12kg and the 10 to 15kg mustard coloured eglass rods in 7 foot or 6'6". Don't bid any more than $16.00.

They work well on snapper and red emperor. The blank will last forever but look after the runners.

Cheers
    Barry

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

but its when u hook up to that fish you have been after for ages and you get let down by your gear is when the price becomes the problem a few more bucks and he was mine then youll note what reddybayfisher is talking about tight lines

seriously if you have an eye for a bargin and a bit of patience you can do better out of walk in tackle shops and supermarkets.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

The particular Pelagic rods I refer to in my previous post have been used by the charter operators at Rainbow Beach for the past two years with great success. I've even seen one get a 10 foot tiger shark to the surface.

I have six of them (overheads and threadline) and have been useing them for the past 18 months primarily to catch snapper and red emperor. My last 3 red emperor to 10kg were easily landed by one of these rods the 10 to 15kg overhead model. At $20 to $30 each including express delivery to your door they are a bargain. Who cares if they may only last two years throw them overboard and pull out another one

At least I can give an informed comment having used and seen these rods in action over the past two years.

Cheers
    Barry

I have one of the Sambo 10 - 15 kg rods, seems to perform pretty good, i only paid $15 inc postage. I've hooked some fair lumps of fish but the biggest test so far was hooking a stingray that must have weighed 30 kegs. handled it ok. doesn't have the smooth solid feel of the more expensive rods but they'll get you out of trouble.

Funny, i have a dirt cheap rod on my expensive Penn 850.
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

I have a Melaluka 600O reel. It's pretty much junk. Terrible finish and feel.
    The first one I received was toast out of the box, and I had to pay return shipping for the replacement. Pretty soon, my $20 reel was closer to $40.
    My local tackle store has some old Shimanos for about $40. I'd be spending my money there if I was to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Damned67 View Post
    I have a Melaluka 600O reel. It's pretty much junk. Terrible finish and feel.
    The first one I received was toast out of the box, and I had to pay return shipping for the replacement. Pretty soon, my $20 reel was closer to $40.
    My local tackle store has some old Shimanos for about $40. I'd be spending my money there if I was to do it again.

I have to agree. I bought a Melaluka (4500 i think). Hooked a good fish the 1st time I used it and the drag failed. Threw it in the bin back at the boat ramp. BARGAIN!!!

Buy cheap...buy again!

May as well get somethin' decent in the first place.
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

I bought a 60kg game rod off the Premium Fishing guys who import the Pelagic rods. It snapped at the butt when I was setting line drag to 12kg
    Sent them pictures and they sent me a new rod. No fuss. Also bought a heap of other gear off them. 50and 80 series reels. (Omoto) and to date cant fault them. I will let you know after they get a real big workout if you like
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.