Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EBAY fishing Gear?

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Re: EBAY fishing Gear?

Quote Originally Posted by NEWBY View Post
    I bought a 60kg game rod off the Premium Fishing guys who import the Pelagic rods. It snapped at the butt when I was setting line drag to 12kg
    Sent them pictures and they sent me a new rod. No fuss. Also bought a heap of other gear off them. 50and 80 series reels. (Omoto) and to date cant fault them. I will let you know after they get a real big workout if you like
    I've had an Omoto overhead reel for the past 5 years and usually fish offshore at lease 20 times per year. The reel has performed without a blemish and has only been serviced twice with no replacement parts required. About two months ago I purchased two more Omotos one a two speed overhead S Series (ebay cost $104) and the other a beautifully made little overhead jig VS10 series.(ebay cost $127).

Both these reels have been christened on red emperor to 10kg and I am very happy with them. Took them to my mate who repairs and services reels for a living and asked him to check them out. He pulled both reels apart reassembled them and said that they were beautifully made with precision cut gears in the two speed.

Alan Tani the US fishing reel expert recently gave a good report on the VS10.

The motto of this story is that not all fishing gear sold on ebay is crap. If you do your research and stick to the better quality stuff you will get a bargain.

I once had a Wilson Live Fibre Texallium 15-24kg rod (about $300 worth) which snapped in half while fishing off Cape Moreton. The fish was pretty big but you expect that the line would break before the rod .

Cheers
    Barry

Hey Newbie, please let us know when you do about these reels. Very interested as hard to justify the expense of some of the other brands when only going out chasing the big stuff a couple times a year.

I love my Tiagras 50's but at $1,200+ a throw for the 80's it is going to be a hard sell to the missus and the 50's are just too small on the SE QLD shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by InterNut View Post
    Hey Newbie, please let us know when you do about these reels. Very interested as hard to justify the expense of some of the other brands when only going out chasing the big stuff a couple times a year.

I love my Tiagras 50's but at $1,200+ a throw for the 80's it is going to be a hard sell to the missus and the 50's are just too small on the SE QLD shelf.
    www.############.com.au

They have a 1800 number...Ask for Nick.... Tell him Newby from Gladstone suggested you call him...He will look after you...
    I just used a few of the reels in the Hervey Bay Tournament last month. I used the http://www.############.com.au/sambo...hing-reel.html with 8kg mono for the tournament on shimano rods. Dolphin fish, green jobbies and an unstoppable huge something were all on board and testing the reels to the fullest and they performed without fault. Very smooth drag and free spool. In fact you have to watch the freespool as you will get overrun. They run out forever. They do an 80 class too. I have not tried those yet though.
    http://www.############.com.au/sambo...hing-reel.html
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

ive seen these brands on ebay and showed some interest, then i read all the negative feedback and believe they are cheap junk. some people complained they were damaged when they received them and that they were seconds, some complained the rods snapped on casting. poor quality and cheaply made. you get what you pay for. i guess the ones here who say theve had a good run are lucky. i for one am sick and tired of seeing cheap chinese cr*p for sale in australia. if you can, spend more, and anoth cheaper option is to buy a second hand rod or reel of better quality thats been looked after. if its local pick up you can normally inspect it first. check the negative feedback first if there is some, its always swung my sale. just my $0.02.
    "izzz izzz izzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"... sounds of heaven.

"You're gonna need a bigga esky!"

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b8nburlee View Post
    ive seen these brands on ebay and showed some interest, then i read all the negative feedback and believe they are cheap junk. some people complained they were damaged when they received them and that they were seconds, some complained the rods snapped on casting. poor quality and cheaply made. you get what you pay for. i guess the ones here who say theve had a good run are lucky. i for one am sick and tired of seeing cheap chinese cr*p for sale in australia. if you can, spend more, and anoth cheaper option is to buy a second hand rod or reel of better quality thats been looked after. if its local pick up you can normally inspect it first. check the negative feedback first if there is some, its always swung my sale. just my $0.02.
    Mate, just researched the website and no complaints re the Omoto overhead reels. Most complaints are over the cheep threadline reels and nasty little baitcasters which are not made by Omoto.

Quality reels are available at good prices but you need to know your brands.

Cheers
    Barry

sorry barry, mate i failed to point out that the brands i was refering to were the pelagic and melaluka gear that i'd seen. i havent looked at omoto, so wont pass on any opinions on those. steve.
    "izzz izzz izzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"... sounds of heaven.

"You're gonna need a bigga esky!"

From what I have researched, the OMOTO is good gear is you stay away from the earlier KAM models. Apparently they had drag issues but I have been told that if you ge replacemet drag washers that are available from Jack Erskines that they are a reel compatable with the top brands. I have 4 x 300's 2 x 50's and 2 x 80's. The 300's and 50's have been tested out on big fish so far and have not had a problem.
    The Sambo elite gear from fishing deals com au are good quality. I have 4 x tt20sII's..on shimano backbone elite rods. Good stuff so far and as previously mentioned, they hav been tested. I have not tested their rods however so cant comment...
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

I don't understand why people buy those cheap crummy brands such as Pelagic and Forsyth when you can go to your local fishing store and buy a cheap Penn combo that will last years longer than the Ebay rubbish for only a few dollars extra. The only Pelagic product that I have heard of being decent is their braid but still I would rather have 100% confidence in what I have fishing with so I will spend a little extra on Power pro braid or equivalent. Probably the worst product on Ebay are the cheap crummy lures with blunt hooks and a terrible swimming action. Please do not waste your money on them.

I'm yet to pick up some of this cheap fishing gear (rods & reels) bought off ebay or sold through chain stores & say - Yep that feels nice.
    ...... rods feel like a broomstick or noodle .... use cheap components .
    ....... Reels usually feel rough by comparison - and feel / look cheap

Then I guess - value is in the eye of the beholder

............ & I've been spoiled

- save your money & buy decent gear

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I still stand by my statement that melaluka reels are junk (at least the one that I have)... but some cheap stuff can be pretty good.
    Years ago, I bought a cheap Penn combo. The rod is easily surpassed by cheap graphite rods, but that little reel is simply amazing... and it's always getting upgraded onto a better rod. It's one of my son's favourite reels, partly because of what it's landed in the past. It's got a lot of sentimental value from good times and good fish, but it certainly punches well above its weight.

Hi Newby,
    Interesting to hear your comments regarding the Omoto KAM reels. I bought 2 when I first got into fishing, and have hardly used them. seems a drop of inox got int the drag on one, and I can't get more than about a kilo of drag now. The other is not much better. Pulled this apart, cleaned etc, but still no good. I was thinking of throwing them out and thought I learnt the obvious lesson about buying cheap gear. But every other part appears to have a good finish, seems good quality and looked good for the $$$ paid. I remember seeing the same reels at over $300 on US sites at the time IO bought them.
    Do you know any more about the replacement drag washer options?

Cheers,
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by NEWBY View Post
    From what I have researched, the OMOTO is good gear is you stay away from the earlier KAM models. Apparently they had drag issues but I have been told that if you ge replacemet drag washers that are available from Jack Erskines that they are a reel compatable with the top brands. I have 4 x 300's 2 x 50's and 2 x 80's. The 300's and 50's have been tested out on big fish so far and have not had a problem.
    The Sambo elite gear from fishing deals com au are good quality. I have 4 x tt20sII's..on shimano backbone elite rods. Good stuff so far and as previously mentioned, they hav been tested. I have not tested their rods however so cant comment...

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J View Post
    Hi Newby,
    Interesting to hear your comments regarding the Omoto KAM reels. I bought 2 when I first got into fishing, and have hardly used them. seems a drop of inox got int the drag on one, and I can't get more than about a kilo of drag now. The other is not much better. Pulled this apart, cleaned etc, but still no good. I was thinking of throwing them out and thought I learnt the obvious lesson about buying cheap gear. But every other part appears to have a good finish, seems good quality and looked good for the $$$ paid. I remember seeing the same reels at over $300 on US sites at the time IO bought them.
    Do you know any more about the replacement drag washer options?

Cheers,
    Darren
    Try Erskines Tackle in Cairns. That was the info I was given. From what I have been told, he has replacement washers and your right, the rest of the reels are of a high quality. They are using the 50's and 80's on charters over in the states now with no complaints. Apparently, the latest release of OMOTO reels are fantastic. We dont have those here yet. I have blown out 2 sets of washers on KAM300's now. I will probably send all 5 of my KAM300's up and get them all fitted with the new washers by Jack. Have sent him an email. Happy to let you know what happens if you like?
    NEWBY T.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    I don't understand why people buy those cheap crummy brands such as Pelagic and Forsyth when you can go to your local fishing store and buy a cheap Penn combo that will last years longer than the Ebay rubbish for only a few dollars extra. The only Pelagic product that I have heard of being decent is their braid but still I would rather have 100% confidence in what I have fishing with so I will spend a little extra on Power pro braid or equivalent. Probably the worst product on Ebay are the cheap crummy lures with blunt hooks and a terrible swimming action. Please do not waste your money on them.

mate which lures you refering to i sell mine on there i'am lucky to get 20 bucks for a 8inch skirted lure that i make myself with yozuri skirts .yet there are blokes paying a lot more for the chinese sh#t that does not even swim properly.so its got me beat what people want these days.if aussie's dont buy aussie made product's then all you will be able to buy in the future will be chinese made.i send my lures worldwide 90% of the buyer's are repeat buyer's they trust in our gear because they no where it's come from.the only time some of these cheap manufacturer's have seen the ocean is on a postcard.

Quote Originally Posted by b8nburlee View Post
    sorry barry, mate i failed to point out that the brands i was refering to were the pelagic and melaluka gear that i'd seen. i havent looked at omoto, so wont pass on any opinions on those. steve.
    some of pelagic reel's are omoto more so there game reels
    omoto have been around for a while but relativaly new in aus.

Quote Originally Posted by yalta View Post
    mate which lures you refering to i sell mine on there i'am lucky to get 20 bucks for a 8inch skirted lure that i make myself with yozuri skirts .yet there are blokes paying a lot more for the chinese sh#t that does not even swim properly.so its got me beat what people want these days.if aussie's dont buy aussie made product's then all you will be able to buy in the future will be chinese made.i send my lures worldwide 90% of the buyer's are repeat buyer's they trust in our gear because they no where it's come from.the only time some of these cheap manufacturer's have seen the ocean is on a postcard.
    Your lures rock bud. Swim right. Lotsa smoke, nice colours...Personally recommend your stuff to anyone. We did give it a hard time in Hervey Bay..Keep up the good work mate. Have a great chrissy. Say G'day to the missus from Newby and crew on Carnelpya.
    NEWBY T.G.