Thread: Product Review- Edge Pro Knife Sharpening System.

Product Review- Edge Pro Knife Sharpening System.

* Mods I wasn't sure if this was the right section so feel free to move as you see fit*

From the age I was in single digits my Grandfather tought me to sharpen a knife or chisel using an oil stone. While I consider myself more than competent on the old trusty stone, I was looking for a more time efficient system. After searching around for electronic systems I decided on a manual system that utilises purpose built stones in varying degrees of grit. The one I settled on can be seen at their site below:

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

I bought the APEX model from the site. While there were problems using the normal methods on the site, I took the risk and put in my credit card details and shipping address. It was delivered in less than 2 weeks shipped via UPS who also sent emails for shipping tracking.

The System: While I only have using cheap hand sharpeners and the oil stone method to judge against, I can say from the start that this system is by far superior. While it does have some small down falls (will mention below) I can honestly say that anyone can achieve as good a sharpness on a knife as any stone in a fraction of the time and probably safe to say a far superior result. I say probably because you would have to be an absolute master on a stone to achieve a better finish.

The main motivation for buying the system was to cut the considerable time I take to get the sort of sharpness I want in a blade using an oil stone. In saying that the first time I used Edge Pro I realised how bad the edge on some of my knives were and it took some time to get the knives up to standard but in the future the time spent maintaining the edge will be very minimal (est:1-2mins).

I bought the APEX 4 kit. After doing several filleting knives(neglected) and several chefs knives that had been thrown around a drawer with other metal knives resulting dings etc in the blades I should have ordered 2 or 3 more 120 grit stones on top of the kit. If your in a similar situation where your knives need some considerable work I would advise to get extra 120 grit stones (relatively cheap) to get the edges down to a uniform flat edge.

Pitfalls: I would like the platform that you hold the knife on to be a little wider. When sharpening filleting knives the thin and long edges mean that when sharpening the knife off the platform you have to take a lot of care not to flex the blade making a different sharpening angle. While I was able to get a really good finish on the filleting knives the white plastic on the top of the guide clip now is worn a little flat as I wasn't paying enough attention and started sharpening it instead of the blade. Also the two suction caps that help secure the base so you have a stable platform aren't so good allowing the system to move at times. Not that this really affects anything much as your concentration is spent on keeping the knife flat and the stone against the blade.

Advantages: The systems allows you to sharpen a blade to multiple angles and maintain an exact angle time and time again depending on the setting you use (see video). This for me alleviates the one major downfall of using a stone (keeping the right angle) while having all of the upsides of a stone. When moving to the 600 and 1000 grit stones you basically don't even have a burr to work back and forth anymore its that precise! Once finished all the knives I have sharpened to this point have had a perfect uniform edge from base to tip and the edge has close to a mirror finish! I expect from now on after a fishing trip or when sharpening the house knives i will give them 2 passes each side with the 600 and 1000 grit stones and a wipe each side with the ceramic steel and the job is done in less than a couple of minutes per knife. It also doesn't use one of these dodgy knife grips to hold the knife in position (that never really work). Your hand can hold the knife as flat as needed on the base. Having a genuinely sharpe edge on a blade without any sign of a burr (often confused for a sharp blade until it becomes blunt very quick) is excellent for piece of mind IMHO.

At the end of the day the system is still a manual system and it isn't cheap. At $235.00USD plus shipping of $44USD inc insurance it is a fair investment to keep your knives sharp. But in saying that it does the job it was designed for very very well and I am happy with the outlay at this stage. I highly doubt any electronic system could produce a similar result!

Although I have only sharpened 10 knives to this point I would recomend the product to others. I will update this review in the future if that opinion changes...

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Re: Product Review- Edge Pro Knife Sharpening System.

Good report chris!!!

ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

I have got one of these (also the APEX) and I can confirm that they are sensational! It might be a bit of an investment, but you're only going to have to buy it once.

There use to be this old bloke, that went door to door offering to sharpen your knifes, for a couple of bucks. I used him once to my desust he used a grinding wheel .I then took my knife and reshapend it on a stone. If you sharpening kit is that good. I'd gladly pay the couple of bucks To have the job done right.

Can the Apex get down to Japanese knife angles? Say 22 deg ?

Quote Originally Posted by flybloke View Post
    Can the Apex get down to Japanese knife angles? Say 22 deg ?
    It will do between 7-25 deg

You can adjust the system to sharpen pretty much any angle you'll ever need.

Still happy with it so far. Just got to get the time to sit down and do all the knives at once.

Cheers

chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Thankyou,
    Im currently using the Lanksy system. OK but I think the surface area of the stones are too short and thin. They also wear out and become concaved. Giving a not so flat bevel.
    This system looks the shiz.

Thanks for taking the time to post this report Chris.

The bane of my fishing and cooking life is bloody blunt knives. I am lucky enough to have a kind friend (Bundy1) take pity on me and sharpen mine between trips, but I would love to be able to competently do my own. Just never had the know-how (plus lack of patience!)

Thanks again.
    Cindy