Thread: 3ltr Turbo Diesel Patrol

3ltr Turbo Diesel Patrol

Hi all,hoping someone can inform me on the pulling power of this model.I have a 95 model 4.2 diesel(non turbo) but its getting tired now.Im pulling a 625 explorer that comes in at about 2+ ton.I have also been looking at the 4.2turbo/diesel tray back which shouldnt have a problem at all.Any info would be good.Thankyou mick.

Re: 3ltr Turbo Diesel Patrol

Mate I pulled a 685 with a GUIII 3.0, and it did it well.

I'm in trucks and earthmoving gear, and having lived in the damn things, I kinda "have a feel" for machines, and how they're coping.

I always felt a little concerned about the Patrol. It did well, but never... quite... felt... right... Get a 4.2, or spend the $ on a Cruiser.

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Mick

Stay away from the 3.0l mate , there blowing up! Get a 4.2 and and if you invest a few extra grand, you'll almost double it's power at the rear wheels ( not chipped , just letting it breath properly)

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

mick i have a 3.0 l td patrol auto and this is my second one and i pull my 4.7 m quinn runabout with it no prob and also pull a kk camper with 3.8 m tinney on top all fully loaded 1600 + kgs with it off road - did the telegraph track to the cape and back but it was certainly at its limit in the rough stuff - good truck and brillaint off road when not towing but yes a few of the early ones do occassionally blow up but the later ones (after late 2002) rarely do blow a hole in no 3 cylinder - if it was me and i could afford i it would go with the bigger 4.2 - love the 3.0 l td patrol but 2.5 ton is a lot of weight to tow mate with a smallish 3.0 l 4 c motor - best rob

mick i have a 3.0 l td patrol auto and this is my second one and i pull my 4.7 m quinn runabout with it no prob and also pull a kk camper with 3.8 m tinney on top all fully loaded 1600 + kgs with it off road - did the telegraph track to the cape and back but it was certainly at its limit in the rough stuff - good truck and brillaint off road when not towing but yes a few of the early ones do occassionally blow up but the later ones (after late 2002) rarely do blow a hole in no 3 cylinder - if it was me and i could afford i it would go with the bigger 4.2 - love the 3.0 l td patrol but 2.5 ton is a lot of weight to tow mate with a smallish 3.0 l 4 c motor - best rob

Thanks guys for your input,i was aware of the problems with them blowing up which was a concern.I also heard they recalled them due to an oil pickup problem.The only 4.2t/d i can find at the moment are in tray backs which the wife doesnt like the idea of.The first thing i was going to do ian was an exhaust from the turbo and a k&n filter as i have done with my previous trucks.
    Last edited by outwide1; 10-10-2009 at 07:46 AM. Reason: add more

Hi Mick

How many kms does your existing Patrol have on it? Where are you located?

The non turbo 4.2 patrol puts out 85kw and even when not towing runs out of sting going up long slopes. I know as I have one ie an 89 GQ that used to drive me nuts and it was even worse towing (obviously) so I poped a schwitzer turbo with open exhaust and an oil cooler and picked up approx 40% more kw, now about 130 and a 40% addition to torque.

When its cruising on the highway in 5th now, with the cruise control on, and not towing its 2.5 ton Vag load; it goes up and down hills like the roads flat.

So why dont you keep what you have and just get it fresher and fit a turbo etc.;
    heaps cheaper and probably better than what you may be able to find out there?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Pay the extra $$ and get a TD cruiser you will never look back .

Hi Mick

Or check some of these out with and without turbos

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/is-bin...oAAAEjQlEFipw9

The Auto 4.2 would be good too esp with a turbo droped into to it.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................