Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Purchasing Reels from the US

Re: Purchasing Reels from the US

If you added up what I've spent OS on stuff compared to what I've spent locally,it pales into insignifigance.The local guys get my regular business...because they're local.Occasionally when the planets align I'll explore the US sites,and have a punt.
    no different to having an occasional beer in a different pub from the local.The small guys are not making anything out of the vast differences in price,so who else has their fingers in the till?By the way boys watch those toes and the line
    Paulo

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    It's fact! You don't mind paying $3 to upgrade hooks and split rings on a $15 lure, but you begrudge paying $20 for a set of drag washers to upgrade a Large Mouth Bass reel to a Barra reel. I've not had warranty refused by Daiwa for having different washers or handles on my Zillion. Maybe your history with Shimano has followed you to Daiwa?
    I've changed the knobs on most of my Zillions, my Certates and Exists. Not sure which models you are buying Matt. Have Tackletour done a comparo between JDM and Aus market reels?

I'm not sure who you are replying to here Dale ....
    But anyhow - For me Daiwa make the best baitcast and spin reels atm ...... been buying Daiwas as opposed to Shimanos over the last 12 years - ( bought miss stella 4 years ago ..... and so underwhelmed by it)
    The Zillions and Steez all suffered from poor drags and have been upgraded - no dramas .... best move possible.
    As for Warranty .... I heard straight from Daiwas Shannon Watsons mouth that drag upgrades would void warranty - reels could be overstressed ....... a direct question posed to Shannon on an upgrade for a Steez 103.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMark View Post
    If you added up what I've spent OS on stuff compared to what I've spent locally,it pales into insignifigance.The local guys get my regular business...because they're local.Occasionally when the planets align I'll explore the US sites,and have a punt.
    no different to having an occasional beer in a different pub from the local.The small guys are not making anything out of the vast differences in price,so who else has their fingers in the till?By the way boys watch those toes and the line
    Paulo
    Hey Paulo

Yeh I've probably bought a fair bit of my bigger ticket items overseas for the past 4 years ...... but not all
    The greater majority of terminal tackle , line and lures have been bought locally ..... as they are more often or not required then and there...... so my spend is still significant.
    The distributors have a lot to answer for ....... I pay more for a pkt of owner STN66s or Nitlon braid with the $ @ US$0.99 than what I did when our currency was at $0.72 (37% ish change). When the dollar fell - prices jumped - when the dollar strengthens nothing.
    Worst of all - tackle is being downgraded ( made cheaper)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Chris,
    This is where the trouble lies,the flow on of benefit screams to a halt at the distributors.This leads to disaffected consumers,thus these consumers purchase OS to obtain a break that should be occuring at home.The main people who get hurt are the small operators who can't match the buying power of the bigger players and eventually are squeezed out.As always the ones who do the least get the most,it can't be sustained but nothing is done.
    Paulo

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMark View Post
    Hi Chris,
    This is where the trouble lies,the flow on of benefit screams to a halt at the distributors.This leads to disaffected consumers,thus these consumers purchase OS to obtain a break that should be occuring at home.The main people who get hurt are the small operators who can't match the buying power of the bigger players and eventually are squeezed out.As always the ones who do the least get the most,it can't be sustained but nothing is done.
    Paulo
    Sadly so! ..... selfishly though I will keep the money in my pocket and get the best bang for my buck as I can.
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

The Aussie dollar hit 99 cents this week. The tackle our retailers are now selling in many cases was probably bought by the distributors over 6 months ago, and in some cases ordered at a fixed price over 12 months ago, to a contract price that may well have been set 2 years ago.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    The Aussie dollar hit 99 cents this week. The tackle our retailers are now selling in many cases was probably bought by the distributors over 6 months ago, and in some cases ordered at a fixed price over 12 months ago, to a contract price that may well have been set 2 years ago.

Makes for pretty poor business sense if that is the case ....... very rare for a contract price as a distributor to be locked in on a fixed currencey........Normally A order is usually placed and a price quoted for that shipment.
    Regardless - I think you will find that the distributors pay a smidgen of the final sell price ..... eg I heard that a well known soft plastic is landed at 1/20th of the RRP and a best selling HB lure at 1/15th
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

So OS Daiwa products will not be covered by Warranty in OZ?

Cheers, Break
    Thats another one for the Punisher!

just purchased a daiwa tierra 3500 from the states for $124 delivered this is about half price!!! the dollar is amazing at the moment!!

i buy all my rods, line, and tackel in aus and reels overseas this seems to be a fair compromise i reckon...