Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Reels from the US

Re: Purchasing Reels from the US

I own a tackle shop and cop a flogging in lost sales when the aussie dollar is high and I don't blame anyone for wanting to save money.
    But before everyone goes crazy I would say remember does Bass Pro, Shimreels, Cabella's support your Fishing Comps, help Fish Stocking Assoc 's stock our Lakes etc or is it BCF, Tackleworld and your local Tackle Stores.
    When Peter Garrett decides to close down the Coral Sea to Fishing will Shimreels and the other USA stores come to the Australian Anglers aid or will we want more support from AFTA and Australian Tackle Companies and Importers. Like I said I don't blame any one for trying to save a buck as it is to hard to come by, but take time to think of the bigger picture.
    Cheers Foxie

Magela, your point is very true.

I have bought many reels, rods and lures. Be at least around the 7grand mark these days.

All of which have been in Australia apart from lures. I will always hunt around, but always stay true to the Australian fishing shops.

I know I can get the reel or rod of ebay or plat, but seriously. You never know if its going to arrive or not.

I know of my mate who was scammed $600buks and he couldn’t get it back.

Stotty

Yeah well, here on the Goldy the only tackle shop that was in there with us fighting during the AFLP/Fishing party saga, the green zones protest saga and the snapper shitfight was Doug Burt's Fishing tackle so I still support those guys with just about all my other purchases.

BCF, and all the other big guys didn't give a stuff when I contacted them for support during all these goings on. What has AFTA done for us over the last few years during all this??????????? Haven't heard too much and I do keep an eye on all the fishing media.
    Check out my boat for sale in the classifieds

• 469 Stacer open Seahorse/Nomad
    • 50hp 4 stroke tiller Mercury
    • Heaps of extras, in top condition
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My two reels came in today from Reel############.com in the timeframe promised and at a great ass price, gotta luv free shipping

Shimano Sustain 6000fe delivered for $330 rather than the $515 which was the cheapest I could get it online here.

Delivery about one week.

Can't afford not to if I want to upgrade my tackle.

Regards, Rob.

Ebay is very good for reels and just about all the gear. Being in Fiji I had to resort to ebay to get just about all of my popping and jigging gear from rods and reels through to line etc.
    So far....cannot complain.

Last time the AUD was up wi picked up a Daiwa Zillion 50th Anniversary red model for $215AUD and a Shimano Curado 200 E5 for $170AUD, another $45AUD to have them delivered to my house in Emu Park Central Queensland. I placed the order and paid on Friday morning, the reels arrived the next Tuesday before 12.00 noon. That is 2 working days from USA to CQ! Tacklewarehouse, definitely recommend them.

Was under half Australian price.

An interesting post here about Daiwa reels from OS.
    http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/bb3...hp?f=8&t=12182
    For you info. Daiwa Australia Zillions have better bearing fitted as standard. They also come with a 5 year warranty. I know of a person who recently bought two Daiwa Zillion PE Specials from a supposedly reputable Toowoomba tackle retailer. They didn't come with a warranty certificate. They were cheap, but they were unofficial grey imports. The unsuspecting buyer, if he has trouble, will return them to Daiwa Australia as he lives in Darwin. He will get them returned to him becasue they are not Australian reels, and the serial number, drag washers and bearings will immediately tell Daiwa that they didn't come through them. Cheaper isn't always cheaper.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

I dont see anything about zillions in that article it seems to be about exists or is it a rumor spread by those who have interests in the aus tackle industry, and while i am at it Most of my reels are bought here and the quality of the ones i have bought os are the same or better depending on what you buy and where ...matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Yep, it's all a conspiracy. Put my PE beside my mates cheap PE and you can feel the difference. Mine played up in PNG last year after giving it an absolute flogging for 10 days. Daiwa Australia fixed it, no questions asked. I have 10 Zillions, one of which came from OS, as it isn't available here. It feels different because it has cheaper bearings. I heard of an Aussie company selling Saltigas over the net and supplying them with a photocopy of the Aussie warranty. Those that were returned were found to have inferior internals, often from an old Regal. The fix for these often cost more than the reel was purchased for.
    Dale

I have purchased a lot of reels from overseas also. My preference is for Daiwa, and I must give kudos where kudos is due, I have Diawa Australian prices very close to USA delivered prices for example Daiwa Saltist Lever drag size 40, only about $40 AUD difference now in price. For the $40 bucks, I now buy Australian as you get the warranty. Funny thing is though, I have never needed warranty as they are a great product. I have had a few corroded bearings, but this isn't covered by warranty (my mistreatment).

I recently travelled the USA and they just dont have the selection of reels that we do in Australia for salt water.

There is no choice but to buy braid from the USA, it is 1/3 the price of Aus and no one is doing anything about it.

Regards Adam

Spot on re the braid Adam, flippin'ridiculous.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    Yep, it's all a conspiracy. Put my PE beside my mates cheap PE and you can feel the difference. Mine played up in PNG last year after giving it an absolute flogging for 10 days. Daiwa Australia fixed it, no questions asked. I have 10 Zillions, one of which came from OS, as it isn't available here. It feels different because it has cheaper bearings. I heard of an Aussie company selling Saltigas over the net and supplying them with a photocopy of the Aussie warranty. Those that were returned were found to have inferior internals, often from an old Regal. The fix for these often cost more than the reel was purchased for.
    INTERESTING ...... Dale - Is this fact or heresay ?
    I cant feel the difference between Zillions out of Japan and ones bought locally.
    I owned 3 Zillions and a HLC - the HLC (bought locally) and one of the Zillion 100HAs also bought locally have had roller bearings replaced within their first year.
    (these reels are only used in the fresh)
    additionally because Daiwa baitcaster drags are a heap of garbage - they get replacement erskine upgrades and lapped washers fitted - which voids warranty.
    So this being the case ..... I'm better off saving 40% on the local purchase price and deal with any potential issues.
    As always - Its buyer beware though.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

As far as I know we get the same model as the U.S ... the one where the knobs are not changeable ... why is this? Are they made in a different country? This really confuses me.

Tackletour did a comparison between the U.S and JDM zillions ... very small cosmetic differences.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwazillion.html

It's fact! You don't mind paying $3 to upgrade hooks and split rings on a $15 lure, but you begrudge paying $20 for a set of drag washers to upgrade a Large Mouth Bass reel to a Barra reel. I've not had warranty refused by Daiwa for having different washers or handles on my Zillion. Maybe your history with Shimano has followed you to Daiwa?
    I've changed the knobs on most of my Zillions, my Certates and Exists. Not sure which models you are buying Matt. Have Tackletour done a comparo between JDM and Aus market reels?
    Dale