Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UHF channels

Re: UHF channels

Maybe thats a good M&G topic....one where the 'nerds' and i use the term with the utmost respect...could educate us luddites (and i include myself unreservedly in this group) with the latest and greatest..or even just the basics, on how to make best use/performance out of our often redundant(due to lack of knowledge of use thereof) radios/gps etc. Its not a hobby of mine...but I am always fascinated by peoples ability to tune in to various bands on the airwaves and listen to what is happening ........police, air traffic, port authority, transport etc.....its the general crap I hear on the 'standard' channels that led me to tell the boss I didnt want the UHF in my next company car.....even though my territory went from bundaberg to cooktown.

Greg

no problems there
    I'm always willing to share info
    helped a lot of people find things they need and saved them money in the process
    GPS devices one the money spinner these days
    mapping upgrades costing hundreds of $$
    but I have the latest Garmin car Nav map, GarminTopo/offroad tracks maps and Garmin Bluechart marine maps, the Garmin mapsource software for saving/editing tracks and waypoints
    latest Garmin GPS software for my mobile phone(car Nav + Marine)

all for free
    and garmin is just part of it
    TomTom/Destinator/IGO and more

One thing about CB radios, you could buy a GME/Uniden, or for a little bit more get a Kenwood/Motorola/Tait etc. commercial radio with many more features and channels, or an the added bonus of more 25watts and all programmable from your home computer(Kenwoods from the front of the radio)

Just don't ask me to fix your computer
    I hate computers
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch

Gotta watch the wattage though Kev,

5 watts maximum 'allowed' on transmit.. saying that though, I have a Tait that I'm about to set a couple of channels up high for emergency use, etc..

But I agree with you, if you have the know how, spend a little more and go the extra

Yeah Taits are good, just a little overpriced and over rated by some
    I like my Kenwoods
    got a couple of TK-880s here
    255 channels
    45 watts
    programmable from the front panel
    Alpha channel names
    nice and compact
    and even better was the $300 each price tag
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch