Thread: 1 or 2 piece bream rod

Question 1 or 2 piece bream rod

I have a dilemma, I am looking for a new bream rod to replace an old stick. I intend to use it for flicking squidgy jigs and small lures to chase bream and flathead, and may be average size Bass. I have pretty much decided on a Strudwick rod which will suit my purposes, fishing out of my 4.2M centre console and also my kayak.
    My dilemma is, should i go 1 or 2 piece? All the AFt pros seem to use 1 piece rods, is there any handicap by getting a 2 pce over a 1 pce. I know the benifits of having a 2 pce for ease of portability and storage, but is there a quality penality to pay? The Strudwick comes in both 1 and 2 pce configurations, and both are rated 2-4 kg and identical cast weights, and both cost exactly the same price. So cost isn't a deciding factor.
    As far as portability goes, I already have 2 baitcaster rods that are 1 pce so transporting 1 more 1 pce isn't going to cause any more problems than I already have. The only problem is that the bream finesse style rods are all around 6ft 6ins to 7ft plus in length, and my longest baitcaster is only 5ft 6in's long. So if there is no difference in in quality etc between a 1 and 2 pce, I would then naturally choose a 2 pce. Any help here would be appreciated.

Re: 1 or 2 piece bream rod

I'm not sure on the technical aspects, but I've converted over to one piece rods since the start of this year. They just seem to feel better. *shrug*

A one piece rod will always outperform a two piece rod on the 'bench'. Its that dead spot where the pieces join that kills em. Having said that....most of my 6 - 7' rods are two piece...purely for transport and storage purposes. I would prefer one piece over two piece for purely fishing purposes every day of the week....but compromises sometimes have to be made, and with modern blank technology, you don't lose much performance wise. If you can transport it no worries...go the one piece, but dont fret if you have to go two piece.

Greg

I think the 2 piece rods of today are a world away from the older rods of 30 odd years ago. The old ones with the chrome joiner. We all grew up with them.

Ok, I grew up with them.

I like the idea of the one piece, and have several, but the 2 piece are great for travelling, which I also have many.

I also bought a 4 piece recently (goes well in a suitcase) for whiting etc, and you almost would take it as a one piece rod.

Sure, the one piece is better, but....

Steve

If you look at quality 2 piece rods you'll see bugger all in the way of flat spots or loss of performance ....... in fact the best light bream rod I've ever used was a 2 piece IMX Loomis ( mind you.... you pay for it ) -
    Nitros are certainly worth looking at ....... & the warranty makes them even more compelling .
    Just keep in mind that todays multi piece technology was born in the fly fishing sector .... where manufactures like Sage , Loomis , Hardys etc developed exceptionally high performance 3-5 piece blanks.
    So you can certainly buy with confidence if you dont skimp.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Red face Re: 1 or 2 piece bream rod

Thank's guys, I will probably go with the 1 pce as I was leaning that way anyway, and your input just pushed me that little further that way. As I said I already have a couple of baitcasters that are 1 pce and one more probably won't make that much difference.
    The Strudwick that I am looking at is only 6'6" so it isn't that much longer than my other rods. If it was 7'+ like some of the finesse rods then it might have been a problem. I will just make up a couple of pvc rod tubes to transport them.
    Thank's again. Stu.

Checked out a Wilson LCS ultralite bream 1 pc this morning, rated 2-8lb line, any input on their quality?

Got my rod. It is a Gary Howard Envy 66L 1-3kg. Can't wait to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
    Got my rod. It is a Gary Howard Envy 66L 1-3kg. Can't wait to use it.
    Very nice rod mate, you should be happy.

That sounds rather nice. I hope you like it

you wont go wrong with that rod....nice piece of kit.

greg