Thread: coochie muddlo thieves solar panels

coochie muddlo thieves solar panels

I just got another solar panel stolen off my boat. admittedly it wasn't very secure but i went out today to secure it even further it was gone. they stole a fender as well while they were there.

I spoke to the guys working on the coochie ferry on the swing mooring and one of them said his got stolen too about 4 weeks ago and so did someone else.

It would seem there are thieves just going around boats on swing mooring at coochie and elsewhere i guess just helping themselves to solar panels.

even if they are bolted down securely they are just cutting them off or using spanners. getting sick of this thieving shit that goes on. if it's not crab pots its solar panels.

Re: coochie muddlo thieves solar panels

That's incredible!! in a bad way!, Why do people even look at others stuff as something they could take?

What options are available to secure it from theft or vandalism? apart from taking the panel home each time which would defeat the purpose I expect.

Cheers fnq

yes unfortunate the solar panel is used to keep the batteries charged. the other guy said something like they sheered the bolts off to get his. not sure how they would to that? hammer and chisel?

someone must hear or see something you would think.

I hope to be selling mine soon anyway but i will be hopefully doing some night time crabbing around there and will definitely have my video cam on me!

That really pisses me off, scum bags stealing other peoples property that they have worked so hard for and the associated costs.

I'd know what I would do if I caught the bastards, they'll never steal again.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Razgo- View Post
    yes unfortunate the solar panel is used to keep the batteries charged. the other guy said something like they sheered the bolts off to get his. not sure how they would to that? hammer and chisel?

someone must hear or see something you would think.

I hope to be selling mine soon anyway but i will be hopefully doing some night time crabbing around there and will definitely have my video cam on me!
    You might have to invest in Infra Red Night Vision googles and camera, same as the military have, works wonders but a bit bright under starlight. Turns night into day and can pick up any heat signature.

Peter

I have a sony HDR-XR520V cam that works surprisingly with very little light.

I should have taken some film last night on the water as it was nearly a full moon and the water was like a sheet of ice and 0k winds
    there were more drunks and bottles around then fishermen

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

check out the local markets at the week end if you spot it just call the police these poeple are not wanted .hilly

Coochie is wel known for its low life scrum around the island druggies and island kids with nothing better to do.
    They steal bikes, whippper snippers ,mowers, whatever they please and all they get is a slap on the wrisp because they are to young, and the parents always say that its wasnt my little johnny he was here with me the whole time.
    When have just watch them do the deed.
    The police are coming over to coochie regularly now with the cars and barge but it doesnt deter these little a********s and low life c***s.

Cheers Troy

we got the shits with this years ago when panels were a lot more expensive.

we did several things

Etch the glass with name etc several spots - some obvious some not.

Used a epoxy glue on the back and attached a "c "hook onto teh back of teh panel. On the deck the same. Unless you had time and patience lifting the panel just smashed them. Our theory was if we can't have them neither can they .

Used screws and drilled out the "x"star heads or with bold throughs we ground the top of the bolt head to a cup bolt impossibe to hold and on the shaft inside the cabin just slotted the end to hold it as we did up nylocs

Had wired secured through deck very tight to panel as then if they tore it off the wires would tear out off the panel and make it nearly worthless.

We used to glue down the flexible ones so they fell to bits if trying to remove.

For 400 bucks you can buy sd camera with sensor and night leds theat takes frames whenever anything moves on deck. Can mount to see who comes on board ( seagulls) and I have seen a few in back windows at ramps pointing at trailers.

With the size of SD cards being big now you can get them doing short film clips

A bit more dosh and you can have one with a gsm sim in it and it will send you a SMS and or teh photo of the trigger.

Smart thieves are now using IE+R glasses to see cameras - it never stops.

Scum - hope they drown.

Quote Originally Posted by ooglie74 View Post
    Coochie is wel known for its low life scrum around the island druggies and island kids with nothing better to do.
    They steal bikes, whippper snippers ,mowers, whatever they please and all they get is a slap on the wrisp because they are to young, and the parents always say that its wasnt my little johnny he was here with me the whole time.
    When have just watch them do the deed.
    The police are coming over to coochie regularly now with the cars and barge but it doesnt deter these little a********s and low life c***s.

Cheers Troy
    I had a feeling things my be bad but never realised how bad. I saw the coppers shoot over ion their barge the other day. that police barge moves well!

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    we got the shits with this years ago when panels were a lot more expensive.

we did several things

Etch the glass with name etc several spots - some obvious some not.

Used a epoxy glue on the back and attached a "c "hook onto teh back of teh panel. On the deck the same. Unless you had time and patience lifting the panel just smashed them. Our theory was if we can't have them neither can they .

Used screws and drilled out the "x"star heads or with bold throughs we ground the top of the bolt head to a cup bolt impossibe to hold and on the shaft inside the cabin just slotted the end to hold it as we did up nylocs

Had wired secured through deck very tight to panel as then if they tore it off the wires would tear out off the panel and make it nearly worthless.

We used to glue down the flexible ones so they fell to bits if trying to remove.

For 400 bucks you can buy sd camera with sensor and night leds theat takes frames whenever anything moves on deck. Can mount to see who comes on board ( seagulls) and I have seen a few in back windows at ramps pointing at trailers.

With the size of SD cards being big now you can get them doing short film clips

A bit more dosh and you can have one with a gsm sim in it and it will send you a SMS and or teh photo of the trigger.

Smart thieves are now using IE+R glasses to see cameras - it never stops.

Scum - hope they drown.
    I like that camera idea but would have to be hidden so they don't pinch that? I know you can buy those IP security cams too but just cant help thinking it would get pinched too.

i like the idea of gluing the back too so it will break and be useless to them
    might have to buy thermal imaging cameras which is way better than infered and sit out there one night.

This business of boats being tampered with on mooring seems to be way more prolific than i would have thought.

Wow cormorant you have tried just about everything under the sun by the looks
    It would be nice to get your hands on one of these little ratbags

I was over there for 3 days and the barge came over twice.
    They dropped a car off both times.
    Thier is also plain clothed cops on the island as well.

Cheers Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Wow cormorant you have tried just about everything under the sun by the looks
    It would be nice to get your hands on one of these little ratbags

That camera with a scope and gun underneath would save alot of trouble for everyone.

Often kids are blamed but it is normally adults an doften very well planned and tooled up.

I now of "sports boats " that had interiors removed and thrown overboard just so the boats would be written off so the thieves could rebirth another boat and all the mechanical bits. It can be steal to order and the big marinas and areas of moorings are like a supermarket for em. .

We have caught 3 over 25 years be it from them trying to resell stuff or actually on board one day. They got a fright and a swim- shame they floated but Police were already called but they had to tread water for 25 minutes - Have had various types of remote fuel storage and equipment that was being targeted so learnt about cameras. It is so god when thye don't even know they have tripped it and they get caught and you have 100% evidence especially when you don't tell em until the have already lied in their statements

Weird when you actually find out who thieves are- not down and outs and many doing it for a career.

Engraving the panels became necessary as commercial navigation ones and solar street lights ones were getting stolen so they etched them with energy names and serial numbers so they could be identified. They then started removing the glass so to prevent this they were epoxied to make them self destruct on removal as they were compact high quality..

With battery operated agle grinders and gas operated reo cutters not much is really secure but getting photos and video sure helps if you can find em. and at least the insurer pays.