Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Gaint Cod in the News??

Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Ahoy there LBGaddict,

Mate, DNA testing would have to be done by fisheries scientists and not the idiot who caught the fish. DNA is a specific diagnostic tool that has vigoureous scientific methodology to follow.

Anyway, can anyone honestly say without any hesitation that they are 100% certain beyond any reasonable doubt that this fish is what they think it is....emphasis on think...

Now think of this, you may ridicule or say BULLSHIT it can't happen....have anyone even thought of the remote possibility of inbreeding or cross-breeding?

Cross and Inbreeding in the wild happens with snakes and also to humans right up to 19th Century, probably as late as early 20th Century. Even the rulers of countries were inbred..just look at England.

DNA would be needed not just key elements.

Fisheries Inspectors are not equiped or trained to do DNA profiling.

Thats my spin.

Peter
    I agree that DNA is the only way to indentify the species, beyond a shadow of a doubt, but not beyond reasonable double, there are rules of thumb so to speak which can be administered. Exactly the same way we tell pig eye sharks from bull sharks.

I assume you've also had a formal education in the science sector, so you understand how easily and identifcation key would identify this species beyond reasonable doubt.

+1 $400 each is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by LBGaddict View Post
    I agree that DNA is the only way to indentify the species, beyond a shadow of a doubt, but not beyond reasonable double, there are rules of thumb so to speak which can be administered. Exactly the same way we tell pig eye sharks from bull sharks.

I assume you've also had a formal education in the science sector, so you understand how easily and identifcation key would identify this species beyond reasonable doubt.
    LBGaddict,

Hello, Yes, I know where your coming from and one can do a key id.

Quote Originally Posted by honda900 View Post
    arent they paid to be the front line?

Regards
    HOnda.
    Front line or not front line, its always a thankless task.

I too use to be at the coalface, right in the eye of the public. However you can do things all by the book and all by the guidelines and still get shafted by the bosses that sit in a comfortable chair and drink coffee or tea and a call is made from a disgruntled pax or fisho....blah blah blah....you're called in the office...please explain....and the customer or in this case the crim seems to get the last word...so I don't blame the fisheries blokes or sheilas.... I think the word discretion comes ito it...

I'm sure as this post goes to air there would be inspectors or should say Field Officers (they had an official name change),,,Also Queensland Police are also automatic Field Officers (formerly knownas Fisheries Inspectors). would be reading the posts

Henry Paluszek had them trained to take on the role...I raised the question to him directly in an article I read at the time in Bush'N'Beach Magazine.

Paluszek denied it but eventually came out in the wash. I should know, I underwent training for it.

So much for jumping hurdles and loops and the bars raised even higher..FFS

You have to wait until someone actually dies or retires before you can get in and its not what you know, its who you know.

I'll scan the headline of a news clipping in the Northern Star.

Headline read "Students Reel in DPI" I opened the gate for others to get in.

Peter

Shame, Shame, Shame !!!!!

What a disgusting turnout!!

Old mate should have been made an example of !!

Bondy and l.b.g. unless I am mistaken analysis of the flesh of the fish by electrophoresis would be quicker and simpler and would identify the species 100% correct, DNA takes too long in this country. Electrophoresis has been around since the 80's(and would be available to fisheries) and was used to bust dishonest fish marketers( eg selling hussar etc as Red emporer, catties as barra, etc) works by analysing the protein structure of each individual species(like a fingerprint) using a spectrophotometer or similar.

By the way has the six toed banjo player apolagised for removing such a majestic fish from our waters !! - like I said SHAME !

If you can't identify it - IT GOES BACK!!

What he and his family did, IMO, was wrong.

What I can't (for the life of me) understand how this bloke said he was going to eat it???? Caught 25kms off Bundy.....Bloke lives near Toowoomba....How does one keep this fish on ice for that time period????

$800 fine is a joke. The vessel should have been confiscated and a much higher fine imposed.

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    If you can't identify it - IT GOES BACK!!

What he and his family did, IMO, was wrong.

What I can't (for the life of me) understand how this bloke said he was going to eat it???? Caught 25kms off Bundy.....Bloke lives near Toowoomba....How does one keep this fish on ice for that time period????

$800 fine is a joke. The vessel should have been confiscated and a much higher fine imposed.
    The only way to keep this one frozen is in a large freezer van or heaps of dry-ice.

Quote Originally Posted by hooknose View Post
    Shame, Shame, Shame !!!!!

What a disgusting turnout!!

Old mate should have been made an example of !!

Bondy and l.b.g. unless I am mistaken analysis of the flesh of the fish by electrophoresis would be quicker and simpler and would identify the species 100% correct, DNA takes too long in this country. Electrophoresis has been around since the 80's(and would be available to fisheries) and was used to bust dishonest fish marketers( eg selling hussar etc as Red emporer, catties as barra, etc) works by analysing the protein structure of each individual species(like a fingerprint) using a spectrophotometer or similar.

By the way has the six toed banjo player apolagised for removing such a majestic fish from our waters !! - like I said SHAME !
    G'day Hooknose,

Electrophoresis may have been used but its not accurate enough nor widely acceptable these days by leading forensic investigators around the world.

DNA is more robust and gives more info than Electrophoresis (so I'm told by my peers).

I think there was a large scam going on in restaraunts throughout Sydney and Melbourne where one was paying through the nose for a good table fish (on the menu) and only to be served with a substitute, ala suprise.

Even the experts got fooled....there are many fish around that once skinned you would not know what it is. There was a 60 Minutes and 4 Corners investigation on this scam a few years ago.

Even the toffs got toffted

Thats the reason why restauranters (chefs) dont purchase skinless these days.

Peter

I would like to be the first person on this thread to say Sorry !!!!
    SORRY they did not fine them enough
    SORRY they did not make an example of them
    SORRY they did not fine his mate for defending him.

DBS
    My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DBSRODS View Post
    I would like to be the first person on this thread to say Sorry !!!!
    SORRY they did not fine them enough
    SORRY they did not make an example of them
    SORRY they did not fine his mate for defending him.

DBS
    What part of Jimboomba are you in? I too use to live in the area.

Jimboomba (Aboriginal name for place of little water), how true that is.

Peter

nice fish but would taste really bad
    would of been fun for about an hour then just boring

Seeing the article and the goose posing in front of the fish with his family makes me think of a saying I once heard "God must love stupid people because he makes so many of them."

Jimbo99.
    Why In The Name Of Hell Would Anyone Kill Such A Beautiful Fish. It Has Probably Been Living For Over A Hundred Years. Why Not Have A Look At It, Take A Photo And Set It Free. You Can't Eat It, I Hope The Proper Authorities Take The Appropriate Action And Fine Them. AND I BELIEVE THEY HAVE BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THEIR BOAT TOO.

I agree Sandman. I like to keep a feed as much as anyone else (thats if I catch any). But why would you keep one like that? Cant be a lot of that size around anymore.
    Steve