Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaint Cod in the News??

Gaint Cod in the News??

I got to work this morning and found all the talk to be about some huge ginormous cod that was caught off Bundy? Did anyone else catch that, and if so could someone provide a link for me please? I would be very interested to have a bit more of a look into it, as the blokes at work were saying this things was over 6ft long or something. I've tried searching just about every combination i could think of but the only thing that keeps popping up is that friggin baby one they thought was trying to eat people in Darwin

Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

So shines a good deed in a weary world
    - William S Shakespeare and William S Wonka_

thanks mate. That is one huge fish, anyone care to have a stab at what species of cod? I'l have to go through my book when i get home

Looked like a Qld groper to me? I could be wrong. I was a little suprised someone would keep it even if it wasnt. there are not to many other cod species growing to that size are there?

yeah that was my first thought when I heard about it, which is why it sparked my interest, either potato cod or Qld Groper, but looking at that photo I'm not sure now. I don't know of any other species that get that large tht would be found only 25km off Bundy, which i assume would still be pretty shallow because of the reef? (please correct me if I am mistaken, never been fishing there).

I am however still sure it is a species of Groper

I don't know if I'd be eating it like stated in the article. It'd be like eating boot leather.

I'm not sure if it is a QLD groper, but if it is, but aren't they a no take fish? No matter what size?

Pazz

qld groper and no take

Last edited by yakka; 05-10-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: add link of pic

I agree yakka, i just had a look through every known species from the serranidae family found in Australian waters and QLD Groper is the closest thing to it, except for colour variations I'm pretty satisfied that it is a Qld groper.

Well done to the bloke who caught it, not only have you kept a no-take, protected species but you've gone and skited about it in the friggin paper and on the news, well done and I hope the DPI bleeds you dry.....ignorant tool

tried to upload a photo clearly outling the similarities to Qld groper couldnt do it as i am at work!! Its not a potato cod , and on the news last night it had a clear shot of the pectrol fin that indicated Qld groper , the photoes linked into this thread dont clearly show markings. But why would you take a cod that size !!

'It is a once in a lifetime fish - I don't think we'll ever see anything like this again.' - Steven Kutija

The above is what was reported by QT regarding the cod the fisherman caught

If the "cod" is a no take species then I hope that the Fisheries remove many thousands of dollars from his pocket

Even if it is not a no take species then him and his family should feel ashamed for taking a fish of that size that as he is quoted of saying - I don't think we'll ever see anything like this again.'

Why not take a few pics of it alongside the boat and let it go

It most probably will be riddled with worms anyway

there's a couple of reason you would take it, but from where I stand, none from a table point of view.

If in fact the fish is from very deep water there's the barotruama aspect, plus going by what he said, a 2 and a half hour fight, i doubt the fish would have survived anyway. Still, letting it go would have given it some chance rather than keeping it, or even taking it out of the water for that matter

If it is a Qld Groper I would imagine Fisheries would have already been around to fine him and take the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    there's a couple of reason you would take it, but from where I stand, none from a table point of view.

If in fact the fish is from very deep water there's the barotruama aspect, plus going by what he said, a 2 and a half hour fight, i doubt the fish would have survived anyway. Still, letting it go would have given it some chance rather than keeping it, or even taking it out of the water for that matter
    Agree but it doesnt look like it suffered anything from being winched up from the deep, possibly dead from the fight or the fact they winched it up over the side of the boat ? Only lip hooked so no issues with releasing the poor old fish. His in a world of pain if he cant prove its not a groper. Dont think there is an excuse even if the fish was dead once it came up , the fact is that he gutted it took it home and plastered it all over the news!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ausfish View Post
    If it is a Qld Groper I would imagine Fisheries would have already been around to fine him and take the fish. So must be some other species??
    Spot on Steve but you have to admit it looks very much like a Qld Groper , would like to know the exact species if its not.