Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Gaint Cod in the News??

Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

Quote Originally Posted by crowog View Post

SO SINCE YOU ARE ALL SO GOOD MAYBE YOU SHOULD ALL APPLY FOR A POSITION WITH THE FISHERIES DEPT!
    I would, but they couldn't pay me enough for my expertise. The fisheries twits are pretty damn clueless, I had an officer one day trying to tell me the 60cm doggie mac (School Mac) I had in the esky was a spaniard, since when did spaniards have dark blotches and a white patch on their dorsal fin i asked, nevertheless, I had a victory that day.

I was pretty sceptical at the start, being that the photo in the article was of a dead fish, but after look at numerous photo's of dead gropers I AM CERTAIN that your mates fish is indeed a qld groper, which was set in concrete as soon as I saw that headshot of the live fish you posted, which you said, in no uncertain terms, that it was the same fish.

I have come up with one other possibility that it could have been (without seeing the photo of the live fish) and that's a Potato Cod, but guess what? Yet another protected species.

One way or another, you, your mate, who ever caught and kept the fish is in deep poo.

And as other have brought up before IF YOUR MATE COULD NOT IDENTIFY THE FISH ON THE BOAT, WHY DID HE KILL AND KEEP IT????

Answer that simple question and you might be able to save a bit of face in this grave digging contest you seem so intent on winning

Crowhog i was never in doubt even when i saw it on the news i cringed, i've caught juvinial's and adult groper before in qld and nsw and even one bigger specimen than yours i can tell you right now even if a dna test came back saying it wasn't i would still be correct because that fish can not be anything else.

Just heard on 7 news they received a $400 fine each

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Ahoy ther brisbane_boy,

Are you sure it's a Queensland Groper and not a NSW one that came into Qld waters and therefore name Qld GROPER because some bugger discovered it in Qld waters? Fish have no political boundaries.

I think the Traditional Owners had caught giant cod and bigger gropers up in Cairns long before us.

There would be historical photos and clippings available about an Aboriginal fella who went into Cairns pub asking for a few people to give him a hand in lifting the groper. No one offered, so the bloke tied the boat to the jetty.

A few hours later the fella returned and few other blokes and the boat and catch was high and dry.

The groper was bigger than the one that was published in the press and on this forum. If I can find the article I'll post it.

Peter
    Maybe you could defend this fella, thats gold

Channel 7 Brisbane just ran a brief story, stating both parties were fined $400 and the fish, a Groper, was estimated at 30 years old. (6.17 pm Monday)
    Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdhouse01 View Post
    Channel 7 Brisbane just ran a brief story, stating both partied fined $400 and the fish, a Groper, was estimated at 30 years old. (6.17 pm Monday)
    Thanks for the update, but that is just plain crap. Imagine what that fish could sell for on the black market, we are talking many thousands of dollars here, a total of $800 is certainly not going to turn any of the black marketeers off at all.

Shame fisheries....shame, shame shame.......

could not agree more scott
    Although i dont think these idiots new what they were doing But ignorance wont stand up as defence
    I think a lot less fish would be taken if people new the real age I once took a cod and years later found out its age lets just say it was older than me at the time and a photo would have lasted longer.

ah guys, why are there hardly any replies bagging the guy that kept the illegal jew on the post:

Re: Caboolture River 6/10/09
    Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    Thanks for the update, but that is just plain crap. Imagine what that fish could sell for on the black market, we are talking many thousands of dollars here, a total of $800 is certainly not going to turn any of the black marketeers off at all.

Shame fisheries....shame, shame shame.......
    Not all of us know the prices on the black market!!
    For most is to catch and eat - not catch and sell!!

ah guys, why are there hardly any replies bagging the guy that kept the illegal jew on the post:

Its the size that matters - no one gets jealous of a small one!!!!!!!!!

So i guess it was a QLD Groper then!!! The fine was a tad on the piss poor side though!! I would still like to know what Crowog and his mate though it was when they boated it?? Any why they spent all that time trying to???? 5 minutes into the fight you would have known it could only have been a giant cod or really large shark , i've hooked a few unstoppables before and broken them of once i realized the hopelessness of the situation, even if you win the battle you let the thing go so whats the point!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdhouse01 View Post

Probably because, rightly or wrongly, that a massive cod is more emotive than a soapy. Some on here are more vocal about certain species (again, rightly or wrongly) and a big cod tends to raise the hackles.

Not missing in action - sitting back wondering how all you so called fishos get your info?

As I recall from reading all the posts many times over, in the begining NOONE was 100% sure of what the fish was!!
    So what you are all trying to say is that on the spare of the moment after checking all the info you have IN THE BOAT when fishing, you would not have kept it if you thought it was a legal fish?

I am sure you all googled it and looked in all the fishing stuff you have BUT is that what you have with you on the boat???????

If the fish COULD NOT be identified on the spot by the fisheries with using their special books and so forth I question how all of you can make a 100% positive ID. After the scientist has assessed the fish extensivley, an ID was made.

SO SINCE YOU ARE ALL SO GOOD MAYBE YOU SHOULD ALL APPLY FOR A POSITION WITH THE FISHERIES DEPT!
    Mate, whether or not he could correctly identify it in my book is a moot point. NO ONE should kill such a magnificent beast as that for personal glory (unless you really, REALLY, REALLY need it for food, which I suspect wasn't the case). WTF is the point in slaughtering such a glorious animal (not to mention devastate the eco-system that surrounds the fish)?

There is no financial gain; there is no food gain because from all reports they taste like shit at that size. Again; what is the point?

Sheer macho, egowank. That's all.

This story has disgusted me since I saw it on the news.

No excuse!

Not all of us know the prices on the black market!!
    For most is to catch and eat - not catch and sell!!

Its the size that matters - no one gets jealous of a small one!!!!!!!!!

So you think were all jealous of the capture do you??? Really?? Surely your not that stupid, i mean keeping a protected fish is stupid, really stupid, but thinking others a jealous, now thats taking it to another level. Anyone have the address of the Darwin awards, i think we have a contender!!!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PumpyChowdown View Post
    Mate, whether or not he could correctly identify it in my book is a moot point. NO ONE should kill such a magnificent beast as that for personal glory (unless you really, REALLY, REALLY need it for food, which I suspect wasn't the case). WTF is the point in slaughtering such a glorious animal (not to mention devastate the eco-system that surrounds the fish)?

There is no financial gain; there is no food gain because from all reports they taste like shit at that size. Again; what is the point?

Sheer macho, egowank. That's all.

This story has disgusted me since I saw it on the news.

No excuse!
    That bit is crap unless he used C4 or something like it, it's just typical urban fluff, sure that particular nich will change slightly and within normal parameter....but dont forget lots of fishys wishys are right now swimming around breathing easier they will see another day out that never would have with the big bloke around...until the next big bully moves in to terrorise the same territory.

it's way dangerous down there.

cheers fnq

glade they got a fine atleast.... should have been more much more.

I work on the rule if I dont know what it is I dont keep it, even if not quite sure dont keep it.

its just not worth it you just end up looking like a complete w@nker.