Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Gaint Cod in the News??

Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

Dont know what species it is or the species of the idiot that caught it but is it any wonder that EPA , Fisheries and Government think we are a mob of yobos when this fool takes, and then broadcasts taking a beautiful animal like that?
    Makes me feel ashamed to be a fisho.

Sorry Guys, made my previous post before reading the posts from all Ausfish members. No longer ashamed to be a fisho.

IMHO,
    If you play netball, rugby, cricket or fish, you need to know the rules of the game. If you not sure then the benefit of the doubt is in favour of the defender (eg in this example, the fish). Otherwise it becomes 'bringing the game in disrepute'.
    Cheers,

I've been watching this thread with interest. I'm no expert in fish ID, but the shot of the fish lying in the boat seems to confirm what everyone else is saying about Queensland Grouper being the most likely.
    My question is whether the newspaper and TV which ran the story will give equal prominence to the story of the guys prosecution, or will they be too worried about having egg on their faces? Seems to be an excellent opportunity to educate and remind the public on the penalties for taking protected fish.

Simply disgusting. I hope he has the book thrown at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Damned67 View Post
    I'm speechless.

A protected species.
    Purchased from the black market.
    For resale to the public.
    and he only got a $2500 fine????

Based on that, I doubt that the guy in question (in this thread) will get anything more than a slap on the wrist.... if anything.
    I don't know where the $2500 came from, I found out the him and his wife were fined $400 each and that was the full extent of it.

Cheers
    Murray

Quote Originally Posted by LBGaddict View Post
    It IS a Queensland Groper and nothing else. There is no question, chances are the fisheries officers have never come into contact with the species, therefore can not identify it correctly.

As was said previously there is no way this practice can be construed as legal. Even for those who wish to argue that it is another species.

On another side, there should be a decent photograph of a QG for identification purposes put out by the DPI, although they would need to take the time to find either a freshly yet naturally deceased specimen, or to put a live fish on a mat. Which is too much effort for that sector.

There is no need for a DNA test to determine species. Just a scientific key, which should be on a hand to fisheries officers.
    Ahoy there LBGaddict,

Mate, DNA testing would have to be done by fisheries scientists and not the idiot who caught the fish. DNA is a specific diagnostic tool that has vigoureous scientific methodology to follow.

Anyway, can anyone honestly say without any hesitation that they are 100% certain beyond any reasonable doubt that this fish is what they think it is....emphasis on think...

Now think of this, you may ridicule or say BULLSHIT it can't happen....have anyone even thought of the remote possibility of inbreeding or cross-breeding?

Cross and Inbreeding in the wild happens with snakes and also to humans right up to 19th Century, probably as late as early 20th Century. Even the rulers of countries were inbred..just look at England.

DNA would be needed not just key elements.

Fisheries Inspectors are not equiped or trained to do DNA profiling.

Thats my spin.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Now think of this, you may ridicule or say BULLSHIT it can't happen....have anyone even thought of the remote possibility of inbreeding or cross-breeding?
    Leave the qld groper out of this it was 100% fine, we all know where the problem started!

Are we talking about the people in the boat that caught the fish? Good chance of inbreeding

Where is Crowog, missing in action? Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post

Cross and Inbreeding in the wild happens with snakes and also to humans right up to 19th Century, probably as late as early 20th Century. Even the rulers of countries were inbred..just look at England.

I think it may finally have dawned on Crowog that the pointed gill rakers and Qld gropers go together and his mates actually in the poo! I would say he was pinning his hopes on that gill raker from the start!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

If i had a mate who butchered a fish like that I would refer to him as my "stupid ex mate"

Thinking about it I don't think I know anyone that stupid

once fisheries have fined him and confiscated his boat, they should make him eat the whole bloody thing himself

Quote Originally Posted by brisbane_boy View Post
    Leave the qld groper out of this it was 100% fine, we all know where the problem started!
    Ahoy ther brisbane_boy,

Are you sure it's a Queensland Groper and not a NSW one that came into Qld waters and therefore name Qld GROPER because some bugger discovered it in Qld waters? Fish have no political boundaries.

I think the Traditional Owners had caught giant cod and bigger gropers up in Cairns long before us.

There would be historical photos and clippings available about an Aboriginal fella who went into Cairns pub asking for a few people to give him a hand in lifting the groper. No one offered, so the bloke tied the boat to the jetty.

A few hours later the fella returned and few other blokes and the boat and catch was high and dry.

The groper was bigger than the one that was published in the press and on this forum. If I can find the article I'll post it.

Peter

Angry Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

[quote=lee8sec;1083155

Where is Crowog, missing in action? Leigh[/quote]

Not missing in action - sitting back wondering how all you so called fishos get your info?

As I recall from reading all the posts many times over, in the begining NOONE was 100% sure of what the fish was!!
    So what you are all trying to say is that on the spare of the moment after checking all the info you have IN THE BOAT when fishing, you would not have kept it if you thought it was a legal fish?

I am sure you all googled it and looked in all the fishing stuff you have BUT is that what you have with you on the boat???????

If the fish COULD NOT be identified on the spot by the fisheries with using their special books and so forth I question how all of you can make a 100% positive ID. After the scientist has assessed the fish extensivley, an ID was made.

SO SINCE YOU ARE ALL SO GOOD MAYBE YOU SHOULD ALL APPLY FOR A POSITION WITH THE FISHERIES DEPT!

Crowog, the QUESTION is WHAT did your Mate identify it as? Thats all we are asking?

I dont know what it is, thats why i wouldnt KILL IT.Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by crowog View Post
    Not missing in action - sitting back wondering how all you so called fishos get your info?

As I recall from reading all the posts many times over, in the begining NOONE was 100% sure of what the fish was!!
    So what you are all trying to say is that on the spare of the moment after checking all the info you have IN THE BOAT when fishing, you would not have kept it if you thought it was a legal fish?

I am sure you all googled it and looked in all the fishing stuff you have BUT is that what you have with you on the boat???????

If the fish COULD NOT be identified on the spot by the fisheries with using their special books and so forth I question how all of you can make a 100% positive ID. After the scientist has assessed the fish extensivley, an ID was made.

SO SINCE YOU ARE ALL SO GOOD MAYBE YOU SHOULD ALL APPLY FOR A POSITION WITH THE FISHERIES DEPT!

I just dont see the point of taking a fish that big. I would also would like to know was this the only fish taken on this trip, or did he bag out and have to come home. as for me I would not keep a cod if my life depended on it there are so many better eating fish around. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dbs
    My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.