Classifieds

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 194
  1. #91

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by crowog View Post
    It was not my MATE who could not id the fish, it was the 2 fisheries officials with all there expert books who could not id the fish.
    If DNA testing was so easy then why still after 4 days has there been no OFFICIAL answer to what species of fish it is?
    There probably getting the paperwork ready to lock this case down, you dont keep an illegal size fish then ring fisheries up to make an iD

  2. #92

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    I still think its a bloody big cod and not a groper. Hopefully I have attached a pic of a big unit I caught and released years ago. Please note the similarities of the pointed part of the gill raker. Sorry if the pic is too small.

    Cheers, Clutter

  3. #93

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by brisbane_boy View Post
    you dont keep an illegal size fish then ring fisheries up to make an iD
    I would hate to tell you, but it was actually the thread poster who contacted the fisheries complaining that he knew EXACTLY what it was and wanted something done about it.
    You are right, you don't call fisheries to make an id because they CAN"T!!!

    **Clutter** I am intested in knowing what type of cod you id that catch as? I am glad that there is one person on here who can tell the difference in fish - yes the gill rake is completely different on a cod to a groper and the giant one caught too had a pointed gill rake not rounded like the QLD Groper that some people on here SWEAR it is!!

    Attachment 52284 This is a photo of THE fish in question!

  4. #94

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Nice gropers boys crowhog you seriously need to learn your fish bud.

  5. #95

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by crowog View Post
    I would hate to tell you, but it was actually the thread poster who contacted the fisheries complaining that he knew EXACTLY what it was and wanted something done about it.
    You are right, you don't call fisheries to make an id because they CAN"T!!!

    **Clutter** I am intested in knowing what type of cod you id that catch as? I am glad that there is one person on here who can tell the difference in fish - yes the gill rake is completely different on a cod to a groper and the giant one caught too had a pointed gill rake not rounded like the QLD Groper that some people on here SWEAR it is!!

    Attachment 52284 This is a photo of THE fish in question!
    CROWOG,
    Are you simple or what? Groper are a no take species, cod over 120cm no take species. WTF do you think it is, if it is not a cod or a groper?
    Marty.

  6. #96

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Crowog - can you please divulge your relationship with the fish involved. Did you catch it. Were you on the boat? Did a relative/friend catch it. Maybe then we will know the background from which your arguing your point. Those with a vested interest can sometimes have a biased arguement.

    Do Qld fisheries have the fish now?

    I'm pretty sure it's a groper. Note the round pectral fin. A give away IMHO

    As a former resident of the Lockyer Valley - it wouldn't surprise me either

    Brett

  7. #97

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Do you want a hand to dig that hole Crowog? I could grab a bucket and some rope to help remove the dirt. Seriously, as adamant you are that it is not a Qld Groper, so far everything you have offered to defend your position has gone the other way. The picture of the live fish, just proves my point further:

    Qld Groper, no take species, get ready to sell all your gear to pay the fine.

    Just to prove my point further, here's a typical shallow water Qld Groper
    http://www.ultimatefishing.com.au/fi...are_resize.JPG

    Notice the pointed Gill Raker, the yellow spotted fins, shape of the head.....geez your fish and the one in the link sure look alike....

  8. #98

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    not sure which it is but like most others i would have released this old fella to fight a 100 more days, i once heard that if you take big cods out of an area, that area looses fishing quality of all species, either way its an illegal fish. if the fella that caught him dosent get any sort of fine what sort of message is this sending to the rest of the fishos???its ok to take an illegal fish if you didnt know what it was!! or He got away with it why shouldnt i. man wouldnt he feel like sh@t if he saw this thread


    jp

  9. #99

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    Do you want a hand to dig that hole Crowog? I could grab a bucket and some rope to help remove the dirt. Seriously, as adamant you are that it is not a Qld Groper, so far everything you have offered to defend your position has gone the other way. The picture of the live fish, just proves my point further:

    Qld Groper, no take species, get ready to sell all your gear to pay the fine.

    Just to prove my point further, here's a typical shallow water Qld Groper
    http://www.ultimatefishing.com.au/fi...are_resize.JPG

    Notice the pointed Gill Raker, the yellow spotted fins, shape of the head.....geez your fish and the one in the link sure look alike....

    No need to help with the hole Scott he's doing fine on his own!

    Crowog, i'm going to type this very very slowly, it a Queensland Grouper. I really wouldn't try and help your mate any more, he's in enough trouble atm!


    ian

    ps. here's some more qld groper pics, againg note the pointed gill rakers

    http://www.arkive.org/queensland-gro...ge-G40204.html
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

  10. #100

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by crowog View Post
    I would hate to tell you, but it was actually the thread poster who contacted the fisheries complaining that he knew EXACTLY what it was and wanted something done about it.
    You are right, you don't call fisheries to make an id because they CAN"T!!!

    **Clutter** I am intested in knowing what type of cod you id that catch as? I am glad that there is one person on here who can tell the difference in fish - yes the gill rake is completely different on a cod to a groper and the giant one caught too had a pointed gill rake not rounded like the QLD Groper that some people on here SWEAR it is!!

    Attachment 52284 This is a photo of THE fish in question!
    Yeh somehow before or after the fact I didnt think old mate who caught it gave a lot of thought about exactly what species or size it should have been

    It would be pretty lonely if there wasnt 1 person who agreed with you, someone to share the fine

  11. #101

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    crowog - Whatever your relationship is to the person who caught the fish (I'm assuming that it was you who caught it unless told otherwise) perhaps you should call this one a day, you're certainly not winning the argument.

  12. #102

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    Crowog

    What did your mate think it was?
    This is the only question that needs to be asked. Give me a reasonable response and I might have a little sympathy for the pathetic specimen who is calling himself a fisho
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

  13. #103

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    A lot of the argument seems to be over weather it's a cod or a groper... Isn't one as bad as the other?

    I think this bloke deserves a hiding.. I just can't work out any excuse that would excuse him from punishment.

  14. #104

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Taking a protected species is quiet a bit diff than making a measuring mistake.

    It looks to not be the first time judging by this article.

    http://www.abc.net.au/rural/content/2008/s2373938.htm

  15. #105

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by brisbane_boy View Post
    It looks to not be the first time judging by this article.

    http://www.abc.net.au/rural/content/2008/s2373938.htm
    I'm speechless.

    A protected species.
    Purchased from the black market.
    For resale to the public.
    and he only got a $2500 fine????

    Based on that, I doubt that the guy in question (in this thread) will get anything more than a slap on the wrist.... if anything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us