Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Gaint Cod in the News??

Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

I have been told that this fish was a diving attraction and divers were feeding the fish regularly. I have also been told the fish was around 120yrs old.

Cheers
    Murray

It's a BS excuse that the rules are to hard, you want to fish , learn the rules simple. Sizes can get tricky at times specially for fish you dont normally target but as has been stated before if you dont no put it back !!! I have done this before and am sure will do it again! Yes there alot to boating but it is you responsability to know where you can and cant fish ( especially these days) and how many and what size you can take and what you have to do the fish when you catch them( fin removable) There are no excuses imho!

ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    It's a BS excuse that the rules are to hard, you want to fish , learn the rules simple. Sizes can get tricky at times specially for fish you dont normally target but as has been stated before if you dont no put it back !!! I have done this before and am sure will do it again! Yes there alot to boating but it is you responsability to know where you can and cant fish ( especially these days) and how many and what size you can take and what you have to do the fish when you catch them( fin removable) There are no excuses imho!

ian
    Ian
    I'm not disputing that fact but the gov could make it easier .I too have thrown fish back that I later found out what they were .
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

I make no excuse for anyone, we all should know the rules, However it could be done better, simplify the rules, reduce the amount of rules and make them accessible to everyone.

Thinking the internet has all the answers is a fools paradise, Websites not upadated containing old information. I was able to prove that DPI had not updated one of its web servers and had flat rock in a yellow zone, it was quickly fixed.

Regards
    HOnda.

Qld groper. Illegal catch. Also, shoulda had its pec fin removed. You'd be surprised how many are around those waters, and much bigger. Have seen them feeding in only 4m of water, not far offshore. This girl shoulda been bladder pierced and sent back home. Probably 60 years old. Real shame for both the fish, and the damage it may do to us fishos!

Cuzza

Honda,
    Please don't try to make excuses for him or anyone who doesn't know the rules in regard to sizes or even boating regulations. They are not hard to find at all just ring them up and they will send out whatever you need be it bag and size limits, boating rules and regulations or even maps of fishing areas that show all the new zones.

This bloke has towed a boat from the Lockyer Valley to Bundy and travelled out 25k in the boat to fish so don't try to tell me he was a part time fisho who didn't know the rules, we are not talking about a 12ft tinnie here. Even if he didn't have the size and bag limits with him he could easily have called over the radio and asked someone. I have fielded many calls over the years over the radio and heard plenty more. As for the identity of the fish it could have been pitch black and it was only ever going to be a groper or a cod not the world biggest whiting. Simple equation, bigger than 1.2 it goes back regardless.

Please don't insult us any further trying to give this idiot an out because its totally unacceptable.

This is my opinion anyway.
    Cheers, Clutter

There is no excuse for this scenario....

but clutter, I disagree with your commment...

"This bloke has towed a boat from the Lockyer Valley to Bundy and travelled out 25k in the boat to fish so don't try to tell me he was a part time fisho who didn't know the rules, we are not talking about a 12ft tinnie here."

If this guy knew what he was doing was illegal, why would he proudly display the catch on TV??? I dont understand that....have I missed something?

I honestly think some people need more education on bag limits etc. Getting the information is not hard...its on the internet....and if you dont have the internet, when you pick up your bait, the tackle shops have the regs.....

But i think the rec licencse thread that came up on aus fish a little while back has some merrit. A basic examination would be a way to basline the minimum knowledge of all fisher people.

Maybe (hopefully not wishful thinking), the money raised could be put to good use.

If there wasnt an issue here, you would not have this situation...

Clutter,

Perhaps if you read my first sentence. "I make no excuse for anyone, we all should know the rules", You would not have responded.

Regards
    HOnda.

Guys, how many times does the Judiciary say ignorance is no excuse?

Laws are made to be vague and at times in shade of grey otherwise Barristers, QC's and the solicitors including the Judge would not be referring to their Judicial Bibles (Law books and Regulations) to interpret the meaning of it only to make their own song and dance and interpretation.

Irrespective of the stances people make, its a fact of life.

"On the balance of probabilities........the onus of proof lies upon the prosecutor or some other scenario. blah, blah, blah.

Thats my spin...Peter

I don't know what all this talk about it being dark when he caught it has come from, read the article, the fish was brought to the surface about 2.45 PM since when is it dark before 3 o'clock in the afternoon? He must've had his friggin eyes closed.

The law states the ignorance is not an excuse, and that does not only apply to fishing regulations, it applies across the board for all offences. I agree they could make the rules easier to understand and yes I think the idea of a single reference book available free at tackle shops, and also posted with boat rego's is a good idea. That aside, I don't cae if he knew what the fish was or wasn't its a protected species and he should be shot down in a ball of flames, preferrably by the rec fishing public, to show that we "the redneck fisho's" (as the green boogers have us pegged) are an intelligent mob that is all for SUSTAINABLE fishing (I refuse to use the word 'conservation' as lately that seems to have had its meaning changed to that of 'preservation') and in fact do not support those who don't take part in sustainable fishing practices in any way shape or form.

If he uses the excuse that he didn't know what it was, then what the hell is he doing taking the fish?? For all he knows it could be more poisonous than cyanide.

Whether the laws are ambiguous or not, a protected "NO TAKE" species as defined can not be any clearer, you aren't allowed to keep them end of story. It seems that so far some people are starting to come to this bloke's defence, even though what he has done is blatantly illegal

As far as I am aware there are more than just those few cod and groper species out there. Maybe everyone needs to have a closer look at the limits as not ALL have a max size and not ALL gropers are NO TAKE!!

All cods and groupers
    38 min
    Combined limit of 5 in total of all cod and grouper species
    Cod and grouper exceptions
    Blackspotted rockcod (estuary cod) NEW
    38 min 120 max
    Camouflage grouper NEW
    50 min 70 max
    Flowery rockcod NEW
    50 min 70 max
    Goldspotted rockcod (estuary cod) NEW
    38 min 120 max
    Greasy rockcod
    38 min 100 max
    Maori rockcod
    45 min
    Barramundi cod
    No take
    Potato rockcod
    No take
    Queensland grouper
    No take

I agree with lampuki regarding the need to make the laws simpler. To stop the confusion why not make them ALL size limited or ALL same rules.

Why would they go to all this trouble if it was indeed a species that would get them into trouble, if that was the case then why not keep it to themselves.

My next question is - Have the DPI come out and actually said from the photos they are 100% sure it is this fish or that??? There must be a reason!

Quote Originally Posted by crowog View Post
    As far as I am aware there are more than just those few cod and groper species out there. Maybe everyone needs to have a closer look at the limits as not ALL have a max size and not ALL gropers are NO TAKE!!

All cods and groupers
    38 min
    Combined limit of 5 in total of all cod and grouper species
    Cod and grouper exceptions
    Blackspotted rockcod (estuary cod) NEW
    38 min 120 max
    Camouflage grouper NEW
    50 min 70 max
    Flowery rockcod NEW
    50 min 70 max
    Goldspotted rockcod (estuary cod) NEW
    38 min 120 max
    Greasy rockcod
    38 min 100 max
    Maori rockcod
    45 min
    Barramundi cod
    No take
    Potato rockcod
    No take
    Queensland grouper
    No take

I agree with lampuki regarding the need to make the laws simpler. To stop the confusion why not make them ALL size limited or ALL same rules.

Why would they go to all this trouble if it was indeed a species that would get them into trouble, if that was the case then why not keep it to themselves.

My next question is - Have the DPI come out and actually said from the photos they are 100% sure it is this fish or that??? There must be a reason!
    Some of the cod named can confuse people as eg greasy cod are also know as rock cod, size difference amoungst the 3 ?
    There will allways be a difference of opinion out there but Groper have been protect for many many years now and regardless of how often you fish most people would know this to be the case?
    As Ian stated no excuses for ignorance if your not sure let it go, particular something of size, there will allways be the cowboy out there who ruins it for us all...
    If its not a groper and we may never here from DPI about the outcome the damge is done. The guy possibly has coped alot of flack from other allready and we have had a pretty good go at him here. Lets just lead by example and move on.

Mick

Hi crowog.

Its my understanding that the size limits and bag limits are formulated based upon research gathered and the limitts (max/mins/etc) are implemented to ensure sustainability of certain species....with this, regulations with a certain level of complexity will exist.

I am not suggesting that we simplify regulations relating to min and max sizes, rather I would prefer that we educate and enforce the regulations that currently exist.

I think this may well be a prime example where someone simply didnt know....and whilst they are several posts (including mine), yelling that ignorance is no excuse....it doesn't help the dead grouper, or the thousands of other fish that are taken illegally every year.

The illegal take comes down to ignorance/intentionally breaking the law.

Ignorance is resolved by education.
    Criminals are stopped via enforcement of law.

Unfortunatley I dont think either of the above mentioned solutions are/will be implemented at a suitable level.

That's enough from me on this thread.

Sad and aggrevating!!!!

even if ya left the rule book at home, not hard to jump on the vhf and ask the question. bit like chinese tucker really, if in doubt, chuck it out!!!!!!!!!!!