Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaint Cod in the News??

Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

The only other cod it could be is an estuary cod which grow a tad smaller ...alot smaller but far bigger than the one discussed. But from all photoes it is a Groper and not an estuary cod .

I'll be very interested to see the outcome of this one. If Fisheries do nothing they'll truly show themselves as toothless tigers. If you don't know, take a photo, let her go.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

estuary cod still get the sort of camo colouration at the large sizes. But still they have a max size of 120cm, the other individually regulated cod species range from a 70-100cm max size.

Just another note, species aside, I wonder if he clipped a pectoral fin? all cods and groupers are now classified as Coral Reef Fin Fish and must have one pectoral fin removed.....you'd need bloody boltcutters to cut the fin off that thing

When my mother saw this on the news, she beckoned me to have a look at the news item. (mum is not into the politics of fishing, but is well aware of the regulations re size limits, and also the eating qualities of fish). Her first statement to me was..."why would you keep a fish that size?". I am wondering if this is a stunt by nine to whip up a frenzy from the anti fishing lobby. Agree with others...if its a cod its over size, if its a groper its a no take species....either way it appears the guy is out of order taking the fish. Looks like there are no fishos on the editorial staff at Ch 9. My first reaction was.......FFS thats all we need.....another advertisement to give ammo to the groups that want to ban fishing. If this is proven to be an illegal capture, I hope 9 do a follow up story outlining the results, with appropriate comments of condemnation from representatives of the rec fishing fraternity.

Greg

Personally, I think its a big cod but either way he's dug a big hole for himself because they are protected over 1.2m (as said elsewhere). If he caught it at the spot that I am thinking of that's 25k's off Bundy it will be a real shame. If it is the place it's just one big rock about the size of a house with just sand for miles around. Its a great place for diving as there is a very diverse range of fish there. It used to be pretty well protected as you really needed a clear day to get the land marks to get on the spot but with the advent of the GPS it would cop an absolute hiding.

The spot in question is a conservation zone but if you didn't know where it was previously our boof headed government published the marks on its site. It's probably one spot that should actually be green.

Quite a few years ago I caught a 1.5m cod in 110m of water at deep tempest. We had to do the swin bladder thing and swim it for about 45minutes before it took off back down under its own steam. At the time I spoke to Ern Grant (Grant's Guide to Fishes) about it and he couldn't give me an age but estimated it to be around the 105kg mark. I really can't understand why you would keep such a fish. Got to be at least 100.

My thoughts anyway.
    Cheers, Clutter

'It is a once in a lifetime fish - I don't think we'll ever see anything like this again.' - Steven Kutija

of course we won't because you've killed it ya d**khead. he's had his 15 minutes of fame now fine the pr**k.

Qld groper, potato cod, over 1.2m cod - ALL NO TAKE or so i'm led to believe.

matt
    c'mon, take the bait....

When the anti fishing bodies decide to use this against us, maybe we should show them this thread, to outline how this kind of thing actually sits with decent fishos.
    As for the argument about fish coming up dead, they still need to be set free, otherwise every big no take fish would be kept and claimed to have died during the fight.
    There is no argument regarding the ID of the fish anymore, so there should be no hesitation from the fisheries to fine this individual, ignorance is no excuse. Once you begin fishing, the onus is on the angler to know how to identify all species which may be caught and the regulations regarding the species. If an angler gets stumped with an ID then the fish goes back. Simple and fair.

I nearly cried reading that article - poor bloody fish lives to be a hundred odd yrs....all for some bozo to .......well I dont actually know what the hell he thought he was going to do with it.........

SHAME SHAME SHAME.
    Fine the idiot AND make an example of him!

Cindy

What would be perfect would be to let the recreational fisho's decide his fate. That would show the rest of the world that we are as serious about conservation as anyone else.
    Let's face it, the conservation groups are mere moments away from tearing the rec. fishos apart over this 'once in a lifetime' capture.

To me this incident highlights a couple of things:

1. Maybe an education process as part of aquiring a mandatory rec fishing licencse in qld might have avoided scenarios like this? Use the money raised from the rec licence to fund actual enforcement of bag limits and size limits.

2. Whilst it is dissapointing to see this happen, its one fish....think of the thousand of fish that are taken illegally becuase the relevant bodies dont properly enforce existing laws!! I was speaking with the DPI researcher to see what he was doing, and his comments were that he regularly saw illegal catches, but he didnt have the authority to do anything about it. Think of all those fish that are netted for cat food?

3. Those wishing to work against the rec fishing community can easily influence the general public. An incident like this could gain significant traction.

To add to Lampuki's comments;

not to detract from the fact that the fish may / may not have been correctly identified, given the fact it was dark as well and I do not condone what has been done in any way.

The fishing regulations on size, bag limits, specie specific times of year, boating regluations, licencing requirements, radio requirements, gear requirements, green, Yellow and Blue zone requirements.

The regular boater has problems remembering all the rules, how does a casual boater say takes their boat on holidays once or twice a year rembember all the rules.

All the govie departments need to get together and simplify the rules and provide all the requirements in a single book free to all fishermen. This should be annually updated with the current rules and regulations. How bout including some detailed species photos as well?

Regards
    Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by honda900 View Post
    To add to Lampuki's comments;

not to detract from the fact that the fish may / may not have been correctly identified, given the fact it was dark as well and I do not condone what has been done in any way.

The fishing regulations on size, bag limits, specie specific times of year, boating regluations, licencing requirements, radio requirements, gear requirements, green, Yellow and Blue zone requirements.

The regular boater has problems remembering all the rules, how does a casual boater say takes their boat on holidays once or twice a year rembember all the rules.

All the govie departments need to get together and simplify the rules and provide all the requirements in a single book free to all fishermen. This should be annually updated with the current rules and regulations. How bout including some detailed species photos as well?

Regards
    Honda.

Wait , what? Its easy up here.
    http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/
    The " internet ",its like a big book.
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences. P.J. O'Rourke

Supertinny,

The internet is like a big book however you can spend many hours traversing government websites for very little result.

I.e show me where on the GBRMPA web site where I can find the green zones for Moreton bay,

or what I am required to carry in my boat when I go offshore?

or the speed limit changes to the gold coast waterways?

You cant assume everyone has internet access or understands the internet.

Regards
    Honda

Honda,
    Your doin it wrong.
    Whats your occupation again?
    pS you wont find Moreton Bay on the GBRMPA. It was an example.
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences. P.J. O'Rourke

let alone have the internet on their boat which is quite often when the questions come up
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT