Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Gaint Cod in the News??

Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    Aren't bar cod limited to 120cm?
    G'day Matt,

Bar Cod grow a lot bigger than that, but mostly deep water, not quite continental shelf but close.

Electric reel to get these buggers or spend a lot of time cranking a large alvey reel.

I'll send you a photo of one caught from Coffs Harbour way.

Peter

crowog
    only lousy $400 each, what did they do sleep with the magistrate
    give up they were breaking the laws on all species of cod or groper anyway
    don't know fish but thought it was a bar cod, crap and besides barcod are deepwater fish and only grow to 1.6max no way do they get as big as goldspot or Qld gropers
    have to agree with birdhouse about the hypocrits, remember the barra caught on the sunshine coast out of season?
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Quote Originally Posted by crowog View Post

It was ID'd on the boat as a Bar Cod (which grow much larger), we have sighted a Bar cod before and at that size they have the same characteristics. Unless it is something that you have seen before in better pictures than provided by the DPI then going on the photos used for ID they had done the right thing. All of the photos where given to appropriate people before the story was run and they researched too (with no change in species name)
    So you've caught and eaten Qld Groper before and called them Bar Cod?

Ray De R

Yep bar cod get to about 1.6m and bass groper about 1.8m And the mere fact that your bringing these out of about 100m+ means they dont survive! Adults live in 100m+

Crowog.

So you discounted the obvious choice and picked the rediculous when trying to identify the fish, You really wanted that cod in the tucker box didn't you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian

Here's the deep water guide, Barcod Really????

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/documents/...FieldGuide.pdf
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    Aren't bar cod limited to 120cm?
    As we have pointed out before check the rules before you make a silly statement
    http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dp...2_ENA_HTML.htm

I would also like to know where people have read how deep the fish was caught?? And no-one will ever really know the exact coordinates and the depth of where it was caught!!

Who gives away EXACT info on REAL good fishing spots

25kms of Bundy was the report , your 40kms short of the shelf mate, get a grip!!!!

finding_time

Don't rely too much on that brochure presented by DPI. There is also a NSW Bar Cod that is a lot bigger than Qld.

Also, this infomation from Qld comes from Observers Programe that rely on blokes on trawlers (hopefuly not pissed when describing the fish at the time). also must admit their reproduction of the fish image could be a lot clearer.

QDPIF only have a 2 , maybe 3 official fisheries observers on their payroll, rest are volunteer info from the deckhands on other boats.

Peter

The bundy sink hole, dug by this fella.

Hey Peter

Mate i've been doing alot of research on Bar cod, Bass groper and other deepwater ooglies as i've been spending more and more time chasing them! the photo of the live fish posted on page 7 of this thread could never ever be mistaken for a bar cod, i've caught a few barcod and there very dark and they dont have pinky green fins with yellow spots!!

Quote Originally Posted by brisbane_boy View Post
    The bundy sink hole, dug by this fella.
    Roflol , Your a very amusing man BB

Quote Originally Posted by crowog View Post
    Have you ever bought fish from a take-away?? You would be suprised how much of that is actually 1 big cod cut into small pieces for the likes of you!!
    It's the same old story that "I don't eat squid, but I love calamari" Also would you say that if you caught a 30kg Red Emporer, 14kg snapper would you say the same thing? As it is an old fish would it taste like cr@p?

P.S Just so you know it tasted just like a 5kg cod.

It was caught for food not a trophy

As stated by another poster - not everything is as they say in the paper and on the news, not all is black and white.

It was ID'd on the boat as a Bar Cod (which grow much larger), we have sighted a Bar cod before and at that size they have the same characteristics. Unless it is something that you have seen before in better pictures than provided by the DPI then going on the photos used for ID they had done the right thing. All of the photos where given to appropriate people before the story was run and they researched too (with no change in species name)

Last time I checked neither Red Emperor or Snapper were protected so a bit pointless using them as an example. Why not admit that your mate made a stupid mistake (one hopefully he learns from) and move on.

I see bar cod, my bad.

who cares what it was identified as, no self respecting fisho would keep a cod/groper at 2.2 m anyway, particularly if you couldn't identify it

Crowog,

I dont understand the argument, apparently the fine has been given out therefore it contravenes a regulation to the satisfaction of the authority, the bar cod argument is irrelevant even if the regulations you refer to dont state a max size and they only come under the 38 min. Your only argument is they got the identity wrong? guess who most would back?

So what did the DPI tell you the fish was or what regulation was infringed?, ie something must of been said to backup the fines? ie what species it was..

i doubt any authority would impose a fine for contravening a regulation without informing people what it was.. and you are so close to the fish or so it seems?
    Tangles KFC

I have been told that it was identified as a Qld Groper and a fine of $400. if it doesn't go to court.

$400 you have to be kidding!!!