Classifieds

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 194
  1. #136

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by brisbane_boy View Post
    Maybe you could defend this fella, thats gold
    Hello brisbane_boy,

    I don't think so, not for all the tea in china.

    But it is true about the early day aboriginals, I'll have to find the clipping.

    Peter

  2. #137

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezzer View Post
    Probably because, rightly or wrongly, that a massive cod is more emotive than a soapy. Some on here are more vocal about certain species (again, rightly or wrongly) and a big cod tends to raise the hackles.

    Good point, emotive issues will always get a lynch party together

    How many precious species, are hit by us in our boats each year, how many gropers/cods are eaten by crocs each year?

    It's the old tree in the forest debate...

    I'd just like to see the Wayne that keep an illegal small fish and bragged about it, bagged the same way. (rather than being defended by Ausfish senior members)
    Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

  3. #138

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    any serious qld fisherman could ID the fish as a groper. At the start of the thread there was no good photos to show people who didnt see the story. I seen the story on the news and said to my wife that it was a groper and they will be lucky to get away with it. A cod that big with yellow fins couldnt be anything else fishos didnt need special books they just needed some public out cry to get off their ass and do something.
    Quote Originally Posted by crowog View Post
    Not missing in action - sitting back wondering how all you so called fishos get your info?

    As I recall from reading all the posts many times over, in the begining NOONE was 100% sure of what the fish was!!
    So what you are all trying to say is that on the spare of the moment after checking all the info you have IN THE BOAT when fishing, you would not have kept it if you thought it was a legal fish?

    I am sure you all googled it and looked in all the fishing stuff you have BUT is that what you have with you on the boat???????

    If the fish COULD NOT be identified on the spot by the fisheries with using their special books and so forth I question how all of you can make a 100% positive ID. After the scientist has assessed the fish extensivley, an ID was made.

    SO SINCE YOU ARE ALL SO GOOD MAYBE YOU SHOULD ALL APPLY FOR A POSITION WITH THE FISHERIES DEPT!

  4. #139

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Hey people,

    That just goes to show how serious the Court views fisheries laws. The prosecutor who is representing Fisheries, i.e "The Crown" could have more vigour.

    However in realtity the prosecution shops around for a magistrate who is anti poaching or anti fish or whatever he / she mostly dislikes.....the defence shops around for magistrates that are the opposite...then there's the social club where magistrates get together and talk shop, same as the barristers, soilcitors, etc.
    then work out a compromise before the next session.

    Don't kid yourself this does not happen, its a fact but not widely known outside the circle.

    Peter

  5. #140

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdhouse01 View Post
    Good point, emotive issues will always get a lynch party together

    How many precious species, are hit by us in our boats each year, how many gropers/cods are eaten by crocs each year?

    It's the old tree in the forest debate...

    I'd just like to see the Wayne that keep an illegal small fish and bragged about it, bagged the same way. (rather than being defended by Ausfish senior members)
    Ahoy Birdhouse01,

    My comments are general that neither defend nor condone, just stating what could be.

    There's always two sides to a coin, not one side.

    Don't belive everything you read and see in the media, its not blank and white, its shades of grey.

    Peter

  6. #141

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...18/2165765.htm
    ...maybe of some interest...
    Cheers

  7. #142

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    good to see those rednecks get a fine, it might not be much only $400 but it's something

  8. #143

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdhouse01 View Post
    Good point, emotive issues will always get a lynch party together

    How many precious species, are hit by us in our boats each year, how many gropers/cods are eaten by crocs each year?

    It's the old tree in the forest debate...

    I'd just like to see the Wayne that keep an illegal small fish and bragged about it, bagged the same way. (rather than being defended by Ausfish senior members)
    Umm Ok you've lost me here, since when did people DEFEND the bloke, by the time I had read the thread, the photo had been removed and post edited, others might have seen the post in its original form, but I didn't so I held my tongue. I don't catch jew up here anyway and wouldn't know what the legal size was. Nowhere in the text I read did it say that he kept the fish, just that he caught one at such and such a size. I did not read anyone defending him either. Best you check a few things througoughly before you make an attempot at insulting someone.

    Before, anyone jumps on the bandwagon calling me a hypocrite for what I've just said (ie I didn't see it so I won't comment) save it, I first started this thread and you'll read that I reserved my judgement (not that it really matters) until I not only read the srticle provided in the link of the second post, but also made a positive ID, so before you open it, shut it and have a good think about any replies to this post.

    And Crowog, you are still bantering on with 'the fish was kept for food', well, so what, the bloke couldn't identify it so he was going to eat it anyway? Anyone ones who fishes and is worth more than a pinch of shit knows that in Qld, its pretty much a case of the bigger the fish, the more chance of cigatuera, clearly this bloke is worth less.

  9. #144

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by castlemaine View Post
    http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...18/2165765.htm
    ...maybe of some interest...
    Cheers
    Castlemaine,

    Many thanks for this, the last slide from the ABC Mid North Coast Clarence River was the main point I was getting at.

    In Qld it was few Aboriginals up Cairns way targeted these giants.

    Maybe some people might open their eyes instead of using blinkers.,just like some drivers that fail to indicate when changing lanes or could not be bothered to indicate, whats 10 seconds of their life. FFS.

    Peter

  10. #145

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    Umm Ok you've lost me here, since when did people DEFEND the bloke, by the time I had read the thread, the photo had been removed and post edited, others might have seen the post in its original form, but I didn't so I held my tongue. I don't catch jew up here anyway and wouldn't know what the legal size was. Nowhere in the text I read did it say that he kept the fish, just that he caught one at such and such a size. I did not read anyone defending him either. Best you check a few things througoughly before you make an attempot at insulting someone.

    Before, anyone jumps on the bandwagon calling me a hypocrite for what I've just said (ie I didn't see it so I won't comment) save it, I first started this thread and you'll read that I reserved my judgement (not that it really matters) until I not only read the srticle provided in the link of the second post, but also made a positive ID, so before you open it, shut it and have a good think about any replies to this post.

    And Crowog, you are still bantering on with 'the fish was kept for food', well, so what, the bloke couldn't identify it so he was going to eat it anyway? Anyone ones who fishes and is worth more than a pinch of shit knows that in Qld, its pretty much a case of the bigger the fish, the more chance of cigatuera, clearly this bloke is worth less.

    I'm in agreeance of what you said Scott nthQld

    Lots of people engage the gob first then think later,

    That's my spin on this.

    Peter

  11. #146

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by crowog View Post
    Not missing in action - sitting back wondering how all you so called fishos get your info?

    As I recall from reading all the posts many times over, in the begining NOONE was 100% sure of what the fish was!!
    So what you are all trying to say is that on the spare of the moment after checking all the info you have IN THE BOAT when fishing, you would not have kept it if you thought it was a legal fish?

    I am sure you all googled it and looked in all the fishing stuff you have BUT is that what you have with you on the boat???????

    If the fish COULD NOT be identified on the spot by the fisheries with using their special books and so forth I question how all of you can make a 100% positive ID. After the scientist has assessed the fish extensivley, an ID was made.

    SO SINCE YOU ARE ALL SO GOOD MAYBE YOU SHOULD ALL APPLY FOR A POSITION WITH THE FISHERIES DEPT!
    You're either missing the question altogether or you're purposefully ignoring it. Either way, you're not helping your (mates) case in the slightest.

  12. #147

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Cant believe Crowog is still going on defending it , Glad they fined them not enough.

  13. #148

    Exclamation Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Quote Originally Posted by PumpyChowdown View Post
    There is no financial gain; there is no food gain because from all reports they taste like shit at that size. Again; what is the point?
    No excuse!
    Have you ever bought fish from a take-away?? You would be suprised how much of that is actually 1 big cod cut into small pieces for the likes of you!!
    It's the same old story that "I don't eat squid, but I love calamari" Also would you say that if you caught a 30kg Red Emporer, 14kg snapper would you say the same thing? As it is an old fish would it taste like cr@p?

    P.S Just so you know it tasted just like a 5kg cod.

    It was caught for food not a trophy

    As stated by another poster - not everything is as they say in the paper and on the news, not all is black and white.

    It was ID'd on the boat as a Bar Cod (which grow much larger), we have sighted a Bar cod before and at that size they have the same characteristics. Unless it is something that you have seen before in better pictures than provided by the DPI then going on the photos used for ID they had done the right thing. All of the photos where given to appropriate people before the story was run and they researched too (with no change in species name)

  14. #149

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Crowog,

    Bar Cod - are you serious - in what depth were you fishing - and wasn't it off Bundaberg.

    Again - are you serious

  15. #150

    Re: Gaint Cod in the News??

    Aren't bar cod limited to 120cm?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us