Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mondy Dash

Re: Mondy Dash

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    What's happened to the Manscape??? where's the soup strainer gone?lol you look bald without the fuzz face Chris.
    Well done on the research and reconnaissance trip.

Cheers Roo.
    That all right roo you should of seen the look on his face when he got back to our camp and ound we had a pile of wood he could not jump over but was not allowed to light it due to fire ban he almost cried

And Chris i have a dr tens machine if you want to borrow it i find it helps my back

shane

What's happened to the Manscape??? where's the soup strainer gone?lol you look bald without the fuzz face Chris.
    Well done on the research and reconnaissance trip.

Cheers Roo.
    I went incognito ...... notice "no red Berkley hat too"

It surprised Shane when he saw me

It was good to do a R&D trip ........ my first really !

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Just an area of interest so thought I may offer some advice. It is amazing how often these threads are coming around to sporting/physio/exercise...

Tennis elbow also called lateral epicondylalgia is a skank of a condition that will not be fixed by glucosamine (research suggests it fixes nothing other than the mind) or trans######### electrical stimulation (TENS) devices. It is a degeneration of the common extensor origin for all the muscles that make the wrist extend (think tthe movement where we lift/hop a plastic). Why does it happen? It is normally attributed to middle aged persons, higher in diabetics for several reasons, and in those with rapid increases in training load especially through that region. Eg the weekend warrior who decides to take up tennis - hence the name

Some ideas
    1. Don't get it.
    2. Try to minimise the onset of the load. Going from pushing a pen 12 hours a day to twitching a rod 12 hours is a sure way to get it.
    3. Try and alternate your presentations. Give your wrist extensors a rest and rip a hard body with a downward or across motion so that you are promoting wrist flexion. It is also not a bad idea to switch hands for a while (definitely a possibility when using spin tackle), may take some practice.
    4. Try and be active and do some resistance training between fishing trips.

Quick question Chris, where you fishing baitcaster or spin tackle?

Cheers Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    Just an area of interest so thought I may offer some advice. It is amazing how often these threads are coming around to sporting/physio/exercise...

Tennis elbow also called lateral epicondylalgia is a skank of a condition that will not be fixed by glucosamine (research suggests it fixes nothing other than the mind) or trans######### electrical stimulation (TENS) devices. It is a degeneration of the common extensor origin for all the muscles that make the wrist extend (think tthe movement where we lift/hop a plastic). Why does it happen? It is normally attributed to middle aged persons, higher in diabetics for several reasons, and in those with rapid increases in training load especially through that region. Eg the weekend warrior who decides to take up tennis - hence the name

Some ideas
    1. Don't get it.
    2. Try to minimise the onset of the load. Going from pushing a pen 12 hours a day to twitching a rod 12 hours is a sure way to get it.
    3. Try and alternate your presentations. Give your wrist extensors a rest and rip a hard body with a downward or across motion so that you are promoting wrist flexion. It is also not a bad idea to switch hands for a while (definitely a possibility when using spin tackle), may take some practice.
    4. Try and be active and do some resistance training between fishing trips.

Quick question Chris, where you fishing baitcaster or spin tackle?

Cheers Scott
    Thanks Scott

80% Baitcast this trip

However ...... The damage was done on the last trip (3 weeks ago) where I spent days on end casting big big plastics on BC gear...... mostly point casting , so you can imagine the effort exerted.
    There was very little done in the way of twitching HBs

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by rc@hinze View Post
    I wondered if you would have lost that fish if it didn't have a second hook to get leverage against to open them up?

I have been reading in Rod Harrison's book about the main hook that connects on a hard body is the front treble because of the way barra hit their prey. I know my hardbodies mainly have the front hook connected. Maybe we are off track with single hooks on the top of plastics? Good for weed maybe and traditional jighead design but not as good for hooking Mr Barra.

Well done on reading a good book mate, Harro has a few tips in there for those that still read things away from the net. Ever reducing numbers these days.

Some interesting stats about who has caught what in there as well.e.g. 30kg barra.

Biology was a interesting part. A bit of history thrown in which is alwasy a good read, as these guys might get forgotten by a few segments of the net crowd searching for the next best thing.

I never get sick of reading his work, some of the best writing you will ever see.
    It's a shame these older writers are just sick of the net (some parts) as we could learn so much from them as many wheels have already been invented, we are just putting new tread on old rims at times.

e.g weedbed barra article circa 1986 already done and well before that i reckon, yet some think it was invented at Awoonga in 2007..

Soft plastic shrimp pre cyclone tracy, getting re-invented now. Most still dont' know about it.

Bream gear and bream sized soft plastics on barra used guiding in the NT in early 90's and so on. You wait that one will be re-invented in comp for sure and land claimed as a new invention LOL> Then printed in a mag, i predict.

Cheers Lyndon.

PS
    The point is that reading history puts everything in todays world in perspective and at times makes many look silly who think they are barra guru's or internet legends. I reckon most of us still have craploads to learn.

For instance i read a book the other day about a guy back 30 years who was really into stealth, so much so that for Jew fish he hated anyone making the timber beams creek when he was fishing it was with stealth in mind with soft feet. Then he was also sure shadows thrown in the water by lights made big fish flee the area and his fishing captures were reduced, another observation several decades old with big Taylor not being caught anymore on some beaches fitted with lights. Some of this stuff is 30-50 years old, but interesting hey...
    He tried to fish by himself, to reduce noise.

Yet in barra what iv'e seen with regards to stealth for many mean't turning the engine off 30m from the fishing area, and i only saw people stop throwing in anchors in the last few years (mainstream & net crowd), let alone turning off sounders, not stepping down on lower decks with elephant feet, kicking cans around the deck, and alwasy on the powers steering of electrics. Bumping into trees and so on. Yet old mate had all his shit together 30 years ago, what's old is new. Kind of like sneaking up on prey with a spear, soft feet, stealth, lots of lateral lessons there too.

Another mate is reading old books with info going back with traditions hundreds of years old that he doesnt' read or see much in the mainstream, go searching and the more interesting stuff we will find. Thats the fun part if you can read books, not just the net.

Cheers Lyndon.

Well I'm for one am glad that we have a fishing Scholar in our midst ...... One that can share the origins of our fishing techniques , product development etc etc. .... Bravo! ....... we can all rest easy. - That base is now covered!!!!

Now moving on from the book of Genesis ...... Like the wheel , fishing techniques & tackle have been improved & redeveloped ..... Thankfully ..... each year sees a leap ahead!

Sure , lets pay homage to those that went before us ......... but hell even some of those guys are using braid

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Well I'm for one am glad that we have a fishing Scholar in our midst ...... One that can share the origins of our fishing techniques , product development etc etc. .... Bravo! ....... we can all rest easy. - That base is now covered!!!!

Now moving on from the book of Genesis ...... Like the wheel , fishing techniques & tackle have been improved & redeveloped ..... Thankfully ..... each year sees a leap ahead!

Sure , lets pay homage to those that went before us ......... but hell even some of those guys are using braid

Chris
    You are a strange man

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    You are a strange man
    Yep ...... I wonder why
    Maybe it lies in what has been highlighted.

Well done on reading a good book mate, Harro has a few tips in there for those that still read things away from the net. Ever reducing numbers these days.

Some interesting stats about who has caught what in there as well.e.g. 30kg barra.

Biology was a interesting part. A bit of history thrown in which is alwasy a good read, as these guys might get forgotten by a few segments of the net crowd searching for the next best thing.

I never get sick of reading his work, some of the best writing you will ever see.
    It's a shame these older writers are just sick of the net (some parts) as we could learn so much from them as many wheels have already been invented, we are just putting new tread on old rims at times.

e.g weedbed barra article circa 1986 already done and well before that i reckon, yet some think it was invented at Awoonga in 2007..

Soft plastic shrimp pre cyclone tracy, getting re-invented now. Most still dont' know about it.

Bream gear and bream sized soft plastics on barra used guiding in the NT in early 90's and so on. You wait that one will be re-invented in comp for sure and land claimed as a new invention LOL> Then printed in a mag, i predict.

Cheers Lyndon.

PS
    The point is that reading history puts everything in todays world in perspective and at times makes many look silly who think they are barra guru's or internet legends. I reckon most of us still have craploads to learn.

For instance i read a book the other day about a guy back 30 years who was really into stealth, so much so that for Jew fish he hated anyone making the timber beams creek when he was fishing it was with stealth in mind with soft feet. Then he was also sure shadows thrown in the water by lights made big fish flee the area and his fishing captures were reduced, another observation several decades old with big Taylor not being caught anymore on some beaches fitted with lights. Some of this stuff is 30-50 years old, but interesting hey...
    He tried to fish by himself, to reduce noise.

Yet in barra what iv'e seen with regards to stealth for many mean't turning the engine off 30m from the fishing area, and i only saw people stop throwing in anchors in the last few years (mainstream & net crowd), let alone turning off sounders, not stepping down on lower decks with elephant feet, kicking cans around the deck, and alwasy on the powers steering of electrics. Bumping into trees and so on. Yet old mate had all his shit together 30 years ago, what's old is new. Kind of like sneaking up on prey with a spear, soft feet, stealth, lots of lateral lessons there too.

Another mate is reading old books with info going back with traditions hundreds of years old that he doesnt' read or see much in the mainstream, go searching and the more interesting stuff we will find. Thats the fun part if you can read books, not just the net.

Cheers Lyndon.
    I certainly feel strange when someone writes stuff that is meant to be a shot at or belittle certain people ...... specially ME ..... I'm funny that way!.

Sure , post & contribute ... offer opinions - but dont make insults like what is being done here........ Its certainly not required or appreciated.
    It adds nothing _ Hell , its not even clever

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

oops! dropped a pin.

oops! dropped a pin.

I could hear it hit the ground from up here.

oops! dropped a pin.
    Keep the noise down
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

oops! dropped a pin.

Shhhhhhh
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

stop wispering..
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    There seemed to be a new "Secret spot" that was being fished regularly by several boats last weekend......... The left hand point at the entrance to Bird bay - Up till this trip ...... I had never seen a boat anchor off it & fish into it. There were 5 boats there on Saturday afternoon ........... with the falling water level it certainly has some appeal.
    The changing dynamics is a good term for these impoundments .......... now that I'm getting a chance to see it first hand & on a regular basis - places that were red hot are now revealing their secrets ........ with the falling water levels.

Awesome stuff .... but I would have loved to have seen the dam when at 18% to familiarise myself with these locations

Chris
    A mate and I just got back from our fist time too Mondy, fished the "NEW" secret spot over a few days and pulled 6 fish, we even had a double hook up both fish landed one going 111 & the other 96. All fish landed in this spot where on the smaller HB's with 1/4 jig head 6/0. All fish caught in this spot where caught on dark and well into the night. We did have a few massive boils really early in the morning on fizzers. We fished a weed bed just off the main basin pulled 2 98cm and a 67cm one of the fish in this spot was caught on a HB and the other two fish on a rapala x-rap. While fishing his spot & on one of the fish we landed a fish and another boat had seen what was going they trolled straight over and put the boat straight onto the weed bed and started casting, i have never seen anything like it. Also we lost a few fish in heavy timber on slick rigs up in south b arm.
    over the 6 days we got 111, 110, 109, 103, 3 - 98, 96, 92 and a 67. when i get the photo's i'll post them up.

Quote Originally Posted by wilco View Post
    A mate and I just got back from our fist time too Mondy, fished the "NEW" secret spot over a few days and pulled 6 fish, we even had a double hook up both fish landed one going 111 & the other 96. All fish landed in this spot where on the smaller HB's with 1/4 jig head 6/0. All fish caught in this spot where caught on dark and well into the night. We did have a few massive boils really early in the morning on fizzers. We fished a weed bed just off the main basin pulled 2 98cm and a 67cm one of the fish in this spot was caught on a HB and the other two fish on a rapala x-rap. While fishing his spot & on one of the fish we landed a fish and another boat had seen what was going they trolled straight over and put the boat straight onto the weed bed and started casting, i have never seen anything like it. Also we lost a few fish in heavy timber on slick rigs up in south b arm.
    over the 6 days we got 111, 110, 109, 103, 3 - 98, 96, 92 and a 67. when i get the photo's i'll post them up.

Thats pretty good fishing there Wilco - Well done & look forward to the piccies ..
    Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO