Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mondy Dash

Re: Mondy Dash

Quote Originally Posted by matt fraser View Post
    Thanks for a top report Chris, and well done on getting onto some good barra.

I've got the itch pretty bad myself at the moment, just trying to get the planets to align to get back to Monduran. You must be trashed after a trip like that, broken rough sleeps, hard fishing - you well and truly deserve the results.

You do look trashed in that first pic!

Thanks again for the report, and well done,

Matt

ps. try some Glucosamine Rapid Cream (red tube) on the elbow, its worked wonders on my back and shoulder.
    Thanks Matt

Yeh , I was trashed ...... little sleep rather than anything else.

This was a bit of a different trip for me ........ tackle & technique trials - I was quite pleased with my results - much better conversion rates (actual hook ups) ......

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nice little sneaky session Chris!! well done mate. Couple of good pics and always a good story too!!!

Would have been a good weekend at Mondy I reckon...we had a shocker over at Boondoomba...must have run over a chinaman on the way...we had to pull out of the electric final on Sat arvo due to family issues (both Spud and I)...on top of work issues,tent issues, boat issues, fish issues (lack of size) and I had yellow fireline too...it was one drama after another.

Should have stayed at home and fished Mondy!!! Thanks for the report. Good to see you nutted a few positives with a tackle and technique. Good luck with the elbow before ABT...your going to need to be sorted!!!....as someone said, try glucosamine...and I think a naturapath told me once, magnesium too...dont hold me to that...I will check.

Should be firing up for the weekend MASA comp.

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    Thanks for the report Shane....nothing boated but far from boring for you.....I just have to get my arse in gear and get up there....Cheers Mate
    Shame you didnt get one of them mate, drive me nuts that would! Good on ya tho for gettin up there and at them. Hope you really nail them next time.
    Im off overseas again so will not get a chance for 3 weeks or more, leave a few tings and flatties in the passage please! like just a small feed LOL
    Cheers
    Flatzie

Good reports guys,as usual.Keeps the juices flowing.Was it cold at 2am being all wet Chris??
    Paulo

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Nice little sneaky session Chris!! well done mate. Couple of good pics and always a good story too!!!

Would have been a good weekend at Mondy I reckon...we had a shocker over at Boondoomba...must have run over a chinaman on the way...we had to pull out of the electric final on Sat arvo due to family issues (both Spud and I)...on top of work issues,tent issues, boat issues, fish issues (lack of size) and I had yellow fireline too...it was one drama after another.

Should have stayed at home and fished Mondy!!! Thanks for the report. Good to see you nutted a few positives with a tackle and technique. Good luck with the elbow before ABT...your going to need to be sorted!!!....as someone said, try glucosamine...and I think a naturapath told me once, magnesium too...dont hold me to that...I will check.

Should be firing up for the weekend MASA comp.

Cheers Steve
    Thanks Steve

A little bit sneaky .... I do much prefer fishing with someone else - specially over such a long day.
    I actually went home pretty satisfied with the placcy modifications... I feel confident that I can use them in my barra fishing now.
    I've got around 3 weeks off ( no barra) before I head up to Faust for a bit of a look for a few days ..... so hopefully I can get over this barra elbow
    Shame about your Boondooma trip ....... better check that a banana wasn't slipped into the boat ( there seemed to be a bit of that going on at the muster )
    You have the Family Classic on this weekend dont you ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMark View Post
    Good reports guys,as usual.Keeps the juices flowing.Was it cold at 2am being all wet Chris??
    Paulo
    It actually wasn't too bad Paul ...... Infact I got rid of the jacket during the night because I was too hot ......... even when I started fishing prior to sunrise , I just had a shirt on (& pants )

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Better check that a banana wasn't slipped into the boat ( there seemed to be a bit of that going on at the muster

I wonder who that could of been ,but did you bust the myth Chris about Banana's on the boat, as i believe the banana was on you boat from the sunday of the muster and as it was in front of your net you either did not get another fish or did not use the net, And i am innocent of the crime i just saw who put it in the boat and laughed at him or her as the case may of been

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks Steve

A little bit sneaky .... I do much prefer fishing with someone else - specially over such a long day.
    I actually went home pretty satisfied with the placcy modifications... I feel confident that I can use them in my barra fishing now.
    I've got around 3 weeks off ( no barra) before I head up to Faust for a bit of a look for a few days ..... so hopefully I can get over this barra elbow
    Shame about your Boondooma trip ....... better check that a banana wasn't slipped into the boat ( there seemed to be a bit of that going on at the muster )
    You have the Family Classic on this weekend dont you ?

Chris
    Yeah mate the Classic this weekend. Weather looks to be shaping up well. I am off the rest of this week. I plan to launch my little tub (new project) in a secret creek chockers with wild bass tommorrow, then maybe a night moon session at Mondy tommorrow night...Kids day thurs, then off to the MASA comp fri (mostly working though).

I often like to fish alone when I am trying new rigs, mods etc...gives you the chance to fart ass around and tinker without ruining someone elses fishing day!!!

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Yeah mate the Classic this weekend. Weather looks to be shaping up well. I am off the rest of this week. I plan to launch my little tub (new project) in a secret creek chockers with wild bass tommorrow, then maybe a night moon session at Mondy tommorrow night...Kids day thurs, then off to the MASA comp fri (mostly working though).

I often like to fish alone when I am trying new rigs, mods etc...gives you the chance to fart ass around and tinker without ruining someone elses fishing day!!!

Cheers Steve
    Totally agree on the solo ....... having a couple of days of it was worth while - I also had the chance to potteraround & look at the sounder in areas after I fished them.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks for the reports guys. Good to see you are making the most of your move Chris by chasing your beloved Barra more often.

Were all the hookups that you got on the slick rig in the photo? If so were they on the single hook or on the additional treble? - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rc@hinze View Post
    Thanks for the reports guys. Good to see you are making the most of your move Chris by chasing your beloved Barra more often.

Were all the hookups that you got on the slick rig in the photo? If so were they on the single hook or on the additional treble? - Richard
    Hi Richard

Yes I'm enjoying getting out to chase barra

That particular slicky caught the last fish ...... still shows some chaffing on the leader.
    The identical set up was used on the other hookups with the exception of a shadalicious which was rigged in a similar fashion.

*2 fish were hinge hooked on the main hook
    *1 fish was mouth hooked on both ...... ( if you look closely on the first photo - you can see the protruding treble which punctured the membrane below the jaw)
    *1 fish was was jaw hooked on the treble .

I know 1 fish was also top & bottom jaw hooked because the main hook was straightened & so to was the owner ........ that fish jumped off

2 fish lost ( bricked) both had chaffed through leader.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I wondered if you would have lost that fish if it didn't have a second hook to get leverage against to open them up?

I have been reading in Rod Harrison's book about the main hook that connects on a hard body is the front treble because of the way barra hit their prey. I know my hardbodies mainly have the front hook connected. Maybe we are off track with single hooks on the top of plastics? Good for weed maybe and traditional jighead design but not as good for hooking Mr Barra.

Quote Originally Posted by rc@hinze View Post
    I wondered if you would have lost that fish if it didn't have a second hook to get leverage against to open them up?

I have been reading in Rod Harrison's book about the main hook that connects on a hard body is the front treble because of the way barra hit their prey. I know my hardbodies mainly have the front hook connected. Maybe we are off track with single hooks on the top of plastics? Good for weed maybe and traditional jighead design but not as good for hooking Mr Barra.
    Hi Richard
    If i didn't have that stinger ...... I would not have straightened the jig head - without a doubt.
    I'ts a compromise (small treble) & risk that is taken ........ i'm looking for improving a hookup rates ..... It at least gives me the opportunity to then land a fish.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Jeez Chris - you've gone and become a total qld-barra nut......didnt take you long to convert

Sounds like a looooong weekend - glad you got some reward out of it, with the homework on new techniques etc.

Whilst I love a bit of company in the boat (OK make that a deckie to pass the drinks ) I find the more I fish by myself, the less inclined I am to have someone else come with me. I can do what I want, when I want, try weird things that get funny looks......lol

Mate, on top of the other suggestions already listed, get a TENS machine for the elbow.

Cind

What's happened to the Manscape??? where's the soup strainer gone?lol you look bald without the fuzz face Chris.
    Well done on the research and reconnaissance trip.

Cheers Roo.