Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Barra, abuse,what cheeses you off, and how to tie KNOTTS

Re: Barra, abuse,what cheeses you off, and how to tie KNOTTS

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    and to this day whitto the call of nine still equates to a nut. ..got cheesed off yesterday , go to hook up the boat, plug the lights in, but wait ,half the plug still in the ute socket from last weekend, and lookin at a bunch of bare wires in the other end. ..lucky there is a spare boat round the corner, ..so got to go for a run in mr hats new rig..nice..
    deano..
    It was very funny at the time....your right we were like everyone else that day and didn't lift a scale.

Mate you'll be right a new plug a screwdriver a coldie near by and a Champion Ruby and you'll have that sucker fixed in no time.

I have no doubt the Hats Long Shaft will do the job beautifully.....Mate we have to get up there sooner rather than later
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Angry Re: Barra, abuse,what cheeses you off, and how to tie KNOTTS

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Boys,

I had a bimini twist give way on me the other day on a snodger bass at a secret bass creek....thats the first time its ever happened....when I went to retie it, the 4lb fireline just kept breaking in my hand!!!!! dud batch!!! So it pays to check you knots...and your braid....I did it 4 times and it broke everytime...tried the same thing on another setup...4lb braid (different spool, different year!!) and it was strong as an ox.

Now, here the thing. I got the breaking stuff at a 'chain store' that has a W.

Do they get the same stuff the tackle shops do..or do they get possibly seconds, hence the often cheaper prices at these stores...or am I dilusional!!!
    cheers Steve
    Steve xactley the same happened to me with 4lb fire line at Somerset and it was like casting wire; Rubbish! and it was a new spool for that trip on a new outfit! Stripped the bloody lot off and straight in the bin. Never again, it was on special when I bought it but they don't give it away. Barra jack closing down sale at Noosa maybe? Possibly there was a bad batch?

Any way I steer clear of it now. It is hard to go past Harro's bionic if you can get it.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Steve xactley the same happened to me with 4lb fire line at Somerset and it was like casting wire; Rubbish! and it was a new spool for that trip on a new outfit! Stripped the bloody lot off and straight in the bin. Never again, it was on special when I bought it but they don't give it away. Barra jack closing down sale at Noosa maybe? Possibly there was a bad batch?

Any way I steer clear of it now. It is hard to go past Harro's bionic if you can get it.

Big D,

Mate I will never go away from fireline in 4lb for spin.....it has proven itself to me too many times....I think this was a bad spool....had one a few years back, and saw it occassionally when working in the tackle industry. Its just the best casting line I can find....and no wind knots ever...I didnt know what they were until I put other braid on spin outfits...and got them.

cheers Steve

Hey lee lee hows ya Nitro going are you happy with it.

What cheeses me off is when the mexicans turn up in droves and its a catch and kill misson. At Faust this year a bloke telling us how many barra he had caught and when he gets home he will the talk of the fishing club with a freezer full of fillets.We asked him if he ever had eaten a fresh water barra and he said no, so that night he cooked a fillet up and he couldn't get through one bit.I don't mind people taking a average size one to eat (if they do plan to eat it). I bet ya on the way home would be a bin full of fillets.Thats my bitch. Gav

Quote Originally Posted by gav73 View Post
    What cheeses me off is when the mexicans turn up in droves and its a catch and kill misson. At Faust this year a bloke telling us how many barra he had caught and when he gets home he will the talk of the fishing club with a freezer full of fillets.We asked him if he ever had eaten a fresh water barra and he said no, so that night he cooked a fillet up and he couldn't get through one bit.I don't mind people taking a average size one to eat (if they do plan to eat it). I bet ya on the way home would be a bin full of fillets.Thats my bitch. Gav

Gav .....

Please - dont think that it's just the mexicans .... - they come from all over the place

While the current regulations allow fish to be taken away for later consumption (put & take fishery) - It still erks me when I see a boat venturing out for a day on the water with an ice box as wide as the boat - you just know what their intention is. ....... These dams are so much more than a cheap source of protein.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Big D,

Mate I will never go away from fireline in 4lb for spin.....it has proven itself to me too many times....I think this was a bad spool....had one a few years back, and saw it occassionally when working in the tackle industry. Its just the best casting line I can find....and no wind knots ever...I didnt know what they were until I put other braid on spin outfits...and got them.

cheers Steve
    Agree Steve, my barra the other night was on 4lb fireline. I think it is ok up until 10lb, but too stiff afterwards.

I have had some vanish leader in the past that snapped like silk - rubbish and that is where it ended up.

Steve

You are on the the money Nagg I cant see the sense in taking a esky full of mud mullet when you can drive another 50km and go and chase coral trout.They say soak them in milk and everything else but is it worth the hasle.The mrs and I release all our fish as we would like to come back another day and have another lash at them, and what a sight when you see them swim back to the hiding spot . I can't see the sense in killing a great fish which is or sport. Gav

Big D,

cheers Steve
    Well from all reports i must have scored a dodgy spool hey.

$#it happens, maybe it was old stuff Others seem to swear by it.

The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

I got another thing I do like now Hairtail went for a jack sesh last night met 2 hairtail one leaped into the boat shite myself the thing was real cranky and bite anything that came within cooee of it jaws.... YUK

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    I got another thing I do like now Hairtail went for a jack sesh last night met 2 hairtail one leaped into the boat shite myself the thing was real cranky and bite anything that came within cooee of it jaws.... YUK
    Well you got something, DEANO and I got bugger all today.
    Mind you one throw filled the cast net with poddies.

The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Fair dinkum Nath ........ you got a hairtail up here

BTW .... they are good on the fang

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Well you got something, DEANO and I got bugger all today.
    Mind you one throw filled the cast net with poddies.
    yes i think we need to do a nite sesh at that bait spot......the old saying, find the bait , find the fish.... ..that area is always full of mullet..1 cast 20 baits... ..was good to get out of the house though dazz....
    deano...
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

That's 4 sure and the opposition was very impressed with the mud crab.

The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Fair dinkum Nath ........ you got a hairtail up here

BTW .... they are good on the fang Man when it came in the boat with a leap

Chris
    They are horrible I never moved so quick bloody thing was 6 foot long and tried to eat my rod holders man they are savage lucky the lip grippers where in quick grab and throw... They remind me of Lancett fish out wide except they fall apart but yes ugly ell x tigerfish

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    yes i think we need to do a nite sesh at that bait spot......the old saying, find the bait , find the fish.... ..that area is always full of mullet..1 cast 20 baits... ..was good to get out of the house though dazz....
    deano...
    Yeah Prinny I got my 20 odd baits same spot yesty lots of bait there will have to reccy it for sure!!!