Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Barra, abuse,what cheeses you off, and how to tie KNOTTS

Re: Barra, abuse,what cheeses you off, and how to tie KNOTTS

geez, Id love to say that hangin off Peppered Point, with a dozen blokes in black banging out casts.............

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    geez, Id love to say that hangin off Peppered Point, with a dozen blokes in black banging out casts.............
    And at least 2 blokes trying to remove Trebles from their noggins......
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Be no issues with drop ins and blow flies I reckon Whitto, couple of rounds across the bow of any one coming to close would sort em out.

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Be no issues with drop ins and blow flies I reckon Whitto, couple of rounds across the bow of any one coming to close would sort em out.
    That'll stop their farting in church Brian

Oh blow flies yeah love em, if there's no invite well FO is the words I would be lookin for....

Got another one dip shites buzzing fisho's in general, remember the half witt Brian with Benny earlier this year anyhow ended up driving in circles at the second cut through in pitch dark funny how for his stupidity we simply floored it and drove past

Oh and what about you whitto with some selected english folk??????

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Oh blow flies yeah love em, if there's no invite well FO is the words I would be lookin for....

Got another one dip shites buzzing fisho's in general, remember the half witt Brian with Benny earlier this year anyhow ended up driving in circles at the second cut through in pitch dark funny how for his stupidity we simply floored it and drove past

yeah, "comes around goes around" Nath, wonder how long they took to figure out which way back, bloody dark nite to. Benny was a tad "peeved" about that little incident.

Boys,

I had a bimini twist give way on me the other day on a snodger bass at a secret bass creek....thats the first time its ever happened....when I went to retie it, the 4lb fireline just kept breaking in my hand!!!!! dud batch!!! So it pays to check you knots...and your braid....I did it 4 times and it broke everytime...tried the same thing on another setup...4lb braid (different spool, different year!!) and it was strong as an ox.

Now, here the thing. I got the breaking stuff at a 'chain store' that has a W.

Do they get the same stuff the tackle shops do..or do they get possibly seconds, hence the often cheaper prices at these stores...or am I dilusional!!!
    cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Boys,

I had a bimini twist give way on me the other day on a snodger bass at a secret bass creek....thats the first time its ever happened....when I went to retie it, the 4lb fireline just kept breaking in my hand!!!!! dud batch!!! So it pays to check you knots...and your braid....I did it 4 times and it broke everytime...tried the same thing on another setup...4lb braid (different spool, different year!!) and it was strong as an ox.

Now, here the thing. I got the breaking stuff at a 'chain store' that has a W.

Do they get the same stuff the tackle shops do..or do they get possibly seconds, hence the often cheaper prices at these stores...or am I dilusional!!!
    cheers Steve

steve ..... we went down this same train of thought last weekend

Me ...... pop 30lb sunline super pe on a snag (twice) - Trev says pi$$ it off.... but i just take off 20M (incase of abrasion) - not long after a 50cm barra pops the line like cotton
    Today ........ while respooling that reel with more Super pe ....... I pull my keeper knot tight (snap .... breaks in the middle of the loop formed)

Trev ..... buys a new spool of cast away - second cast it snaps duing a cast (20M from the lure) ..... no birds nest - just CAST-A- WAY

These are new spools of braid ..... one trip old for me & brand new for Trev.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    steve ..... we went down this same train of thought last weekend

Me ...... pop 30lb sunline super pe on a snag (twice) - Trev says pi$$ it off.... but i just take off 20M (incase of abrasion) - not long after a 50cm barra pops the line like cotton
    Today ........ while respooling that reel with more Super pe ....... I pull my keeper knot tight (snap .... breaks in the middle of the loop formed)

Trev ..... buys a new spool of cast away - second cast it snaps duing a cast (20M from the lure) ..... no birds nest - just CAST-A- WAY

These are new spools of braid ..... one trip old for me & brand new for Trev.

Chris
    Something to check....make sure theres no nicks in guides when spooling, and that you run it thru all the guides and not pivoting over the one guide..etc

you probably do it right..just thought I would check..

Probably just a bad batch of braid for all of us.

I have castaway on one reel now...might check it tommorrow...but it hasnt let me down yet. I have gone back to good old spiderwire stealth (very cheap if you know where to get it)...one of the first braids I ever used...loved it then..and again now.....Its one of the few lines I like on both spin and baitcaster...actually the only one.

cheers Steve

Something to check....make sure theres no nicks in guides when spooling, and that you run it thru all the guides and not pivoting over the one guide..etc

you probably do it right..just thought I would check..

Probably just a bad batch of braid for all of us.

I have castaway on one reel now...might check it tommorrow...but it hasnt let me down yet. I have gone back to good old spiderwire stealth (very cheap if you know where to get it)...one of the first braids I ever used...loved it then..and again now.....Its one of the few lines I like on both spin and baitcaster...actually the only one.

cheers Steve
    Yeh .... the first thing we both checked were guides including the line guide on the reel ( all breaks were fibres parting )

...... not a fan of the Nitlon any more Steve I still think its the best ...... the blue stuff - unfortunately its not real good for the net man

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Yeh .... the first thing we both checked were guides including the line guide on the reel ( all breaks were fibres parting )

...... not a fan of the Nitlon any more Steve I still think its the best ...... the blue stuff - unfortunately its not real good for the net man

chris
    Yeah still have nitlon blue on one reel....very hard to see...especially at night.
    I have just been experimenting with some old favorites with good results thus far...and $$ in the bank to spare.

I have gone back to 30lb on most outfits...20lb spider is same feel as 30lb I reckon...so 20lb on some (chronarch, stradic 2500, saros 3000)...ready for teemburra.

Yeah still have nitlon blue on one reel....very hard to see...especially at night.
    I have just been experimenting with some old favorites with good results thus far...and $$ in the bank to spare.

I have gone back to 30lb on most outfits...20lb spider is same feel as 30lb I reckon...so 20lb on some (chronarch, stradic 2500, saros 3000)...ready for teemburra.
    30 & 20 here too ........ you would be surprised with how much hurt you can put on a fish with 20lb - on the last trip on 1 occasion - I screwed the drag right up on my certate 3000 (20lb bionic) ...... hooked up on a decent fish ( double set the hooks) & with the fish running away from me - the hooks were torn out during its run. ( line & knots were fine) - - -- I reckon I was close to 5kgs of drag (double what I would normally have)
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post

YYYYYeeeeesssss!.....My little pommie mate and his lovely bride and their love for a particular Guide and the destruction of his fishing shirts.

I think out best work was the day fishing was extremely slow and was asked how we went.....Only to reply that we had a fairly ordinary day catching 9 Barra for the session.....The look on his face was Priceless and his wife has not spoken to me since

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    YYYYYeeeeesssss!.....My little pommie mate and his lovely bride and their love for a particular Guide and the destruction of his fishing shirts.

I think out best work was the day fishing was extremely slow and was asked how we went.....Only to reply that we had a fairly ordinary day catching 9 Barra for the session.....The look on his face was Priceless and his wife has not spoken to me since
    and to this day whitto the call of nine still equates to a nut. ..got cheesed off yesterday , go to hook up the boat, plug the lights in, but wait ,half the plug still in the ute socket from last weekend, and lookin at a bunch of bare wires in the other end. ..lucky there is a spare boat round the corner, ..so got to go for a run in mr hats new rig..nice..
    deano..
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Sink your new spool of braid in water for at least 30-60mins before putting it on your spool.

With cheaper PE's the coating comes straight off when spooling, hence all the nice green waste on your rollers or guides and you have pretty much already reduced your breaking strain straight away.

Cheers

Lee