Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some BIG Tuna

Some BIG Tuna

A buddy of mine from the states sent me these pics. Caugth at cape cod last weekend.
    Both weighed 800 lbs and another was lost next to the boat ata guesstamated 1200lbs.
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences. P.J. O'Rourke

Re: Some BIG Tuna

Holy Crap!!!!!!

That is just insanely BIG!!! Not sure if i am a fan of taking suck big fish, but each to there own i guess.

I'd be really interested to know what he uses that small inflatable buoy for though?
    Another thing that interests me is there no blood what so ever and no marks on the fish from a gaf, rope or otherwise?? Although you can see line rub marks on the last photo.
    And around the guys legs on the first pic looks really odd??

Still, very impressive... You should ask him what size gear he caught them on and how long the fight was.

He used fresh cod guts for bait and let them drift 30 ft to 50 ft back behind the boat. The tuna just slurped them right off the surface and ran.
    He fought each for 2 and half hours.
    The first fish he had on, which he lost 2 hours in, was 20ft from the boat before it snapped the 150 lb test leader.
    That was estimated at 1,200 lbs, he said it dwarfed the the other two.

His name is Kevin. He is the Man.
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences. P.J. O'Rourke

Oh my god!! imagine hooking one of those monsters

hmmm... personally i think thats a bit sad if it didnt go back into the water.

Yep, Kevin is the man alright!!!!
    I could only imagine when he had the est. 1200lb one at the back of the boat, they all must of been wondering how they were going to pull it on board.

Great stuff supertinny.

Simply awesome fish and a couple of great trophies there.

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by ubdkdd View Post
    hmmm... personally i think thats a bit sad if it didnt go back into the water.
    Compared to what commercial fisherman keep, those two amount to nothing.

Awesome catches.. I'd love to fight one of those

Do the boats keep the big blues and sell them over there?

Big $$$$$ for those babies landed fresh and in good nick.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

take them to china you can buy 2 biger boats lol very nice

do they drown them before bringing on board

You couldnt release one of those after fighting it for 2.5 hours, they would fight until their hearts blow up basically, they wouldnt swim away after that.

i dont think i would be doning much afterwards either

Some friends of mine and I fished for Atlantic Bluefin off the west coast of Ireland every year for about 5 years in the late 90's and early 00's.

We trolled for them with large black plastic squids rigged on spreader bars, which were a reasonable mimic of the sauries the tuna were eating in the area at that time of year.

Over the years, we caught 6 tuna, a number in the 300lb range, one (mine) at 458lb and a 642lb, which was a, Irish record on 80lb stand-up gear. We lost an equal number on failed hookups and other random things like that.

They're an amazing fish, from a distance when they're feeding up on the surface they look like any tuna, but when you get close you see just how huge they are - amazing. The way they attack a lure spread was incredible and they are mind bogglingly powerful when hooked. In all the years, we kept only one fish (the 642) and tagged a number of others with pop-up tags for Tag-a-Giant program http://tagagiant.org/

We sold the 642 to the Japanese for 11000 Euros, but they are too good to be caught just once, and all fish after that were released, and usually turned up off the coast of the US a couple of weeks later.

They are a seriously threatened species - check out last week's edition of the New Scientist for a bit more information.

Cheers, and thanks for posting the pics Supertinny.

Mark

Hey tinlegs. Thats a good read thanks. I would love to catch one the size you got. The little 10kg models go hard i can only imagine a 300lb+ model