Thread: the one that got away

Talking the one that got away

was fishing from tallebudgera creek and left my rod in the sand neway lost my concentration and looked away for a geeze and turn to see my rod take off into the drink... how embarrasing carnt help but think wat was on the end of it

Re: the one that got away

Thanks for such an amusing... yet unfortunate tale! As much as i find the sight of a rod taking off into the water mildly amusing, I do feel sorry for ya mate! Better luck next time! Oh and I hope it wasn't too much of an expensive loss!

I am always uber careful if I leave my rod unattended, and if it cannot be secured very well, will back the drag right off so it can be ripped off without any chance of the rod being dragged away

So.... were you tempted to jump in after it ?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

yea was pretty bummed... wasnt an overly expensive rod tho but one of my favourites so of course i jumped in iv learnt my lesson dont worry!

Definitely Stolen LOL

Can't trust those pesky fish one bit...
    Fillet and Release Squad

I did something similar a long time ago on the Lucinda jetty up north. The missus was having trouble getting a decent size Bream of her hook. I put my rod down for about 20 sec, but it was enough time for something rather large to hammer my live mullet and launch my rod about 40m into the drink
    Very stupid thing to do but I learned my lesson :grin:

Thats unlucky mate... I remember my old man doing this one when i was little fishing on the beach at Taylors beach (north QLD) didn't check his rod for a while and didn't realise the tide came in and made the PVC pipe he had his rod in close to useless.. we couldn't work out why there was a salmon juming in the same spot as if hooked on the other side of a sand bar (which was about 1m under) till we realised the rod was gone.. went for a walk along the sand bar dragging our feet found the line, pulled one end it to the fish and the other to the rod.. cleaned it and still catches fish today nearly 8yrs later..

Nidrac..

Lol great story Nidrac

I won't say who but a friend of mine went fishing in a place well known for its large eel population and for those that don't know, eels generally don't bite, they just take off. Lets just say that leaving his rod on the ground unattended wasn't very smart...
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

gotta hate that especially when its a borrowed rod and reel haha

its not me either

cheers Murf

yeah my uncle was fishing with us up the barra famr the other week and out his riod down to have a drink 1metre away and yep the first bite he got all day, lets say 3 hours later i caught the rod but not th fish. cheers Lee

Hi all
    I know someone on here that went diving for his sunnys. Looked like a big walrus sliding over the edge of the boat apparently.

I have jumped overboard to retrieve a rod. Had it resting out the back of the boat, turned away for a few seconds and it was off. Of course i sailed in after it,, what else could i do it was my favorite rod. Getting out was easy it was gettting back in that gave me trouble. I gave everyone at the ramp a few laughs when i went back in. Went home got changed and went back out for the rest of the day. Stupid now i think about it-- middle of winter jumping in the caboolture river???

Ronnie

Always love to hear stories like this.. makes me know i'm not the only one that looks like a fool out there.. I've had the same rod for the last 12 yrs, been in the drink twice, first time was in a storm during easter about 7 years ago boat ended up fliping while at anchor during the night, lost all the gear in it. blokes camping next too use caught a log in the cast net 2 days later and draged it up on the beach, which the rod was caught in.. cleaned it and worked fine.. second time were fishing up the creek and had it in the rod holder.. old man went to throw his line out.. hooked the top eyelit and pulled it straight out and into the water about 15m away.. 30-40mins later of throwing all sorts of hooks and heavy lures in the area we finally hooked on the last cast, were just about to pull the anchor up and leave...

Nidrac..

has happened to me before but i got a flogging for it! haha i went fishing down to my local jetty when i was alot younger maybe 12. anyway the rod that i was using happened to be one of dad favourite rods and he was at work so i didnt get to ask and thought it would be alright untill later on when i went to grab something and forgot to unwind the drag sure enough in the drink it went. can still remember that day to a tee.. wasnt nice explaining to dad what happened to his favourite rod!
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"