Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landcruiser Shudder

Landcruiser Shudder

Does anyone know what to do to fix the shudder in FZJ75 Landcruiser from around 65-90kph. It is not the wheel balance??
    It is bad enough that you can not sit on any speeds between 65-90kph.

Re: Landcruiser Shudder

Get your front knuckles checked. Pull your steering tie rod ends off at the knuckle end and feel if there is any tension on the knuckles. If they are too loose you will get a shopping trolley type wobble and can shake a cruiser very bad. If there is little tension pull some shims out of the top and bottom pivot bearings and see if that fixes it. If it does get your knuckles overhauled with new top and bottom pivot bearings and set the tension with a spring scale. Check your shocks, springs and steering damper while you are at it.

Check your tyres for heel and toe wear ,if the leading edge is higher than the back edge this will cause the problems you are having .
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

could be a number of things , if you have had the tyres balanced they should have checked that the tyre doesnt have any bulges or case failures . make sure the wheel bolts onto the hub properly , check that the face of the hub on the cruiser is a flat surface ie; no bolt or screw heads sticking up to stop the wheel from going on flush . check the Tail shaft , uni joints , gearbox and engine mounts . try just reving the motor with the cruiser stationary in neutral as it may have a buggered harmonic balancer .. that list should keep you buisy for a while ... lol

More information needed to diagnose problem...
    Does it do it when you back off, or under acceleration? Or does it just do it when you coast along at that speed.
    Do you have a suspension lift? What else has your car got?
    I take it that its manual.
    Can your feel the vib through steering or floor etc etc etc

It sounds to me that youve lifted it and havnt fixed castor. Which will give you a neg castor angle, resulting in a constant sway/shake from left to right in between those speeds. But isnt very bad under acceleration or at 100kph unless you hit a bump.

That or a loose hub...

Am I right?

If yo have a steering damper it might have had a heartattack so get this checked first

The Creuier has been lifted. But the shudder is getting worse. Wonce you are over 95kph it is fine. It is only in the 65-90kph when accelerating or cruising. You can feel the vibe through the steering and the whole car.

When you get a wheel balance done make sure that they actually clamp the rim by the bolt holes to the balancer and not the conical screw clamp. This made a difference with my rodeo that had a bit of a shimmy at about 80kmh

Leaf spring fronts are very solid and forgiving. It takes ALOT to put a strong shake and vibration through the whole car. Its definately castor between those speeds. Neg castor will put a pulse or shake through the car, positive will make it wonder and track all over the road.
    Has it started doing it straight after its been lifted?
    Its getting worse because your bush's and bearings are wearing in.

Its hard to explain, but if you havent used castor wedges your diff centre is rolled back (neg castor) You need to rotate back to within tollerance of castor. You might need longer U bolts. And if there is still any play from things being flogged out. You might have to remove a shim top and bottom of your swivel hubs.

Here's a pic to explain...
    In all the different lifts I had in my 75. We found that in all of them the middle fin on the diff centre was nearly alway dead level (Providing you park on something level) Use that as your guide.

Does anyone know who is a good person to take it to for them to look at to fix this??

Where abouts are you ?
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

I am at Narangba North Side of Brisbane

You can get your castor checked at any good tyre place that has laser alignment (good year is good as they do mechanical aswell etc). They will have a book with all your tolerances in it. And if its incorrect. Its just a case of undoing your rear ubolts enouigh to slide a peace of steel or wedge in there until the correct height is acheived. Then check again.

And if its not the castor, they can also repack and tighten bearings and hubs. And do wheel ballance . Should fix all your probs.

Take it in and get it aligned , balanced and tyres checked for a ruptured ply .

Mine was the same and a wheel balance / alignment sorted it out .

Still shakes a fly shit due to the stepwear on the tread though .

Best place is a truck alignment centre

Ive heard stories about the split drive shaft on Cruisers producing a shudder at speeds around 80 kms,, does it feel like it could be drive shaft?,,, to correct this,, replace it with a solid one.