Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Furuno FCV620 Pictures of arches

My Furuno FCV620 Pictures of arches

Here some pics from my new FCV620.Been a few times still trying to working it out so dont know if they are fish or not..

Re: Furuno FCV620

more from FCV620

Furuno FCV620

more from fcv620

which ones are fish???please help other Furuno FCv620 users...
    Thanks
    Mark

The clearly defined arcs are fish. The hazy blobs may be fish or bait. Colour on the bottom can be weed, broken structure or bait. Some of those shows would be getting me very excited
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

mark,

i have the same unit, very impressed with it.

the shows on the bottom would all be fish. the shows just off the bottom would be schools of fish or bait.

some good shows there. i dont use mine in 50/200, always on bottom lock as i feel this is easier to read and gives a better indication of fish/ schools.

the colour up high in your photos may be bait, interference from your motor, or something else like having youe gain set too high.

play around with the gain and you will be able to cut alot of the shows on the sounder that dont mean anything. with experience you will find the best setting for your situation.

these sounders need to be operated manually. by that i mean to get the best out of it you will need to keep adjusting gain, depth etc. this is a bit of a hassle but needed to get the best performance.

in time you will be able to identify bottom types and fish description by the colours on the screen.

hope this helps,

matty

Agree with FTR, the ones on the bottom would be fish and also the arches higher up. As for the second echo at the top I have found this is caused by a little too much gain in shallow water as most of these are taken in fairly shallow water. This second echo at the top I have found pretty useful as it is an indication of harder ground or fish as it flares and becomes bigger. One way to work out what they are is to catch the buggers then try and watch your sounder as well. I have a self focusing camera and surface monitor that can be dropped down to 80m and record whats going on. One thing I have found is once set up properly sounders dont give false echos of the bottom. They will only read more than what is there if the gain is too high(such as floating weed reading bright red or bubbles showing up) I dont think a lot of those fish would be big as they always appear to look that way in shallow water. Cheers Mal.

Thanks for the replies...

The places where I did this sounding is in Corio Bay, Victoria and the water range from 5mts to 14mts so its not very deep..The main fish caught in the bay are Snapper at this time...So you think the fish that are arcs are 100% fish?? at what size do you think??if the gain is turn down do you think the fish arcs will be smaller and the colours will be lighter and not get any dark red in them?? I see a lot of users dont really give there settings out...eg say your in 5-15 mts use gain, modes,pic adv speed etc at.... and if your in 15-60 mts use gain, modes, pic adv speed etc at....

Thanks Mark

Re: My Furuno FCV620 Pictures of arches

As you turn your gain up, you start to see lots of interference, looks like maybe mud in the water. Turn it down, until that interference has just disappeared. What's left should be fish.

Learn to use your gear manually. Once you have the hang of it, you will start to get the most from the Furuno. As your depth and speed change, you will need to adjust the gain, it's not a set and forget thing.

Bottom lock on the left is a must, IMO. It will help you pick schools on the bottom, and gives you a constant view of the bottom 6m. You should be able to set the other side to any depth range (I have a Navnet 1920 I can do it, but you maybe can't?) so you can see everything from top to bottom.

Those arches give me a woody!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Good info above, its hard to give exact settings as you will find these will be different for for each situation and depth.

Rough days will mean the water will contain sand, seaweed and others. This will then give you more interferance and you may have to turn the gain back to a point where the fish only just read or thier colour is lighter.

Have a look at the picture and imagine what the cone angle is doing when your boat is rocking around or what happens when a fish ducks in and out of the cone angle. One fish can give you the impression of several. You can see at a shallow depth the cone is very narrow and strong, hence the reason to possibly increase gain at a deeper depth.

If you have a chart plotter or know some one who has spots you can sound, go over sand, weed, rock and coral and take note of the soundings while playing with the settings. After awhile the colours will also become a guide to whats down below, red being the most solid.
    Hope this helps Mal.

Still no snapper this season from me...I got told that you need to put the color from 64 to 16 on the sounder...

stewy, I also find that if you turn the gain up so that you can pick up weaker echoes in read and you find the screen too messy then you can illiminate some of the weaker colours in the menu. I forget what the setting is called but I was showed this trick at a boat show and it worked a treat. I was used to turning the gain down but I was loosing targets. Now I can still have the gain high enough and eliminate unwanted echoes by colour.

Those arches give me a woody!

Timi, you are easily pleased LOL

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
    stewy, I also find that if you turn the gain up so that you can pick up weaker echoes in read and you find the screen too messy then you can illiminate some of the weaker colours in the menu. I forget what the setting is called but I was showed this trick at a boat show and it worked a treat. I was used to turning the gain down but I was loosing targets. Now I can still have the gain high enough and eliminate unwanted echoes by colour.
    Turn up gain till it starts getting noisy.
    Then turn up "cLutter" starting from zero till it is pretty well cleared.
    Then use "cOlour erase" to get rid of the last unwanted bits.
    Thats what I was shown anyway.
    Brendan
    (They both start with "C" ,but "L" comes before "O" alphabetically- I need to use this kind of rubbish to remember these things as the brain gets smaller)

Has any one hooked up a gps to this sounder ( does it need to be a furuno

Goanna