Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Furuno FCV620 Pictures of arches

Re: My Furuno FCV620 Pictures of arches

Nice pics "aharding" and good caught..I wish I could sound up fish and caught them like that..Im having trouble working out what is fish in 8-10 mts of water...

I thought shift just shifted the area viewed up and down starting from the bottom...so if your adjusting your depth manually or letting auto do it, what advantage is shift?

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Aharding has given some good insight into what to look for on this sounder ,I have found that with snapper I don't get arches as such more like blobs of red , there are some good pics in the sounder reading thread at the top of the page..Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I have also statred using bottom lock on my furuno and it has been invaluable for locating reds and grassys in weed/fern. The good thing is this sounder shows fish easily, big red lines are generally good fish.

i also have the 620 the onl;y problem i have with it is we always go out very early in the mornings or over night and it fogs bad do you guys get this also ? (its been back once and they gave the usual this never happens )

jeff

Hi There,
    I too have a Furuno 620. However I dont seem to pick up fish in 90m water. My old Lowrance X85 did. Is the suppression setting should be set on low and not auto?
    Duck

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    I thought shift just shifted the area viewed up and down starting from the bottom...so if your adjusting your depth manually or letting auto do it, what advantage is shift?

Cheers
    This is how and why I think the Shift feature works. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The advantage of the Shift Key is that you dedicate all of the pixels (which make up the display) on the screen of your sounder to that particular depth of water you are working. Therefore greater detail of whats in the water column you are working will be shown. If you are bottom bashing in 80 metres you really only need to see 60m - 80m.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo_Townsville View Post
    This is how and why I think the Shift feature works. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The advantage of the Shift Key is that you dedicate all of the pixels (which make up the display) on the screen of your sounder to that particular depth of water you are working. Therefore greater detail of whats in the water column you are working will be shown. If you are bottom bashing in 80 metres you really only need to see 60m - 80m.
    Mate - I agree with the theory, but I cannot seem to make mine do that. My shift comes up with a range of 0-2500 feet...any setting just moves the bottom upwards on the screen which is the opposite of what you would want - ie you would want a pre-defined area of say 20metres for example to be able to move up and down the column to a depth that you are after....

Cheers

Do you run your range in manual? If so when you employ some shift do you then adjust your range to suit the amount of shift your are using?

I do run in manual - thanks mate I will do that and see where I get to. Cheers

For every 10 or 20 metres of shift you use , you will need to back around the same out of the range, this will keep the sea bed on the bottom of the display.

I hope that makes sense.

I Took this picture on Matt Cini boat on holidays last Oct in Melbourne the biggest Snapper we caught was 7.5 Kg.

Quote Originally Posted by stewy View Post
    Here some pics from my new FCV620.Been a few times still trying to working it out so dont know if they are fish or not..

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Finally got to try the 620 today - took some photos with the phone but it was so rough the photos are blurred crap - spent an hour trolling a well known reef in around 8-10m and got a few Doggies for my trouble:

Questions ....

I didn't try the blue background as shown in most of the photos in this thread (forgot this feature). Is blue much better than the standard white - which looked OK to me?

I went out with the sounder set with 1% white line. Initially I thought there was something wrong as the bottom definition was poor although I could see fish clearly. Turned off the "1%" then magically had a hard red bottom showing, but fish then merged with bottom. When fishing deep, does anyone use the "1%"?

Compared to the old Lowrance 135x, the 620 is a quantum leap. Lots more info. However, the 135 used to show lots of fish arches where the 620 shows blobs. Is this to do with the software in the Lowrance doing more guesswork?

Some pics from sounding around in Corio Bay...Didnt stop cos i was going in..I think they might be fish..

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman View Post
    Finally got to try the 620 today - took some photos with the phone but it was so rough the photos are blurred crap - spent an hour trolling a well known reef in around 8-10m and got a few Doggies for my trouble:

Questions ....

I didn't try the blue background as shown in most of the photos in this thread (forgot this feature). Is blue much better than the standard white - which looked OK to me?

I went out with the sounder set with 1% white line. Initially I thought there was something wrong as the bottom definition was poor although I could see fish clearly. Turned off the "1%" then magically had a hard red bottom showing, but fish then merged with bottom. When fishing deep, does anyone use the "1%"?

Compared to the old Lowrance 135x, the 620 is a quantum leap. Lots more info. However, the 135 used to show lots of fish arches where the 620 shows blobs. Is this to do with the software in the Lowrance doing more guesswork?
    Now that I've had a few trips with this sounder inshore and reef I'm going to answer my own questions ....

- blue background is HEAPS better than white as the contrast to red blobs is best
    - no use using white line with the blue background
    - I get the rare fish arch and they are usually large so suspect shark or other big mother. Red blobs and thick lines denote fish but I guess could be thick weed if that's around where you fish.