Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nissan Navara D40 Boat ramp Issues

Re: Nissan Navara D40 Boat ramp Issues

Quote Originally Posted by don-one View Post
    Garry, let me know how you get on.
    Im interested as i am having the same trouble with a smaller boat (1.5t) and a shallower ramp.
    just brought a new D40 and the first time with it at the ramp yesterday and stalled it trying to drive out in 4wd low. Interesting what someone said about having to wait for it to engage but I am sure i had given it enough time to do so.
    Like you, i had to give it plenty of revs and ride the clutch to drive it out.
    not happy!
    Well I nearly tore the Gearbox out of her today.. the noise got worse as the day went on.. lukily I was taking it into Nissan as the bolts holding the gearbox in had GONE! dissapeared.. vannished so they tell me

Apparently all they need to do is repair the threads in the chasis and replace the bolts.. problem is bolts in Victoria ETA is Monday no courtisey cars so out of work till she's fixed
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Well I nearly tore the Gearbox out of her today.. the noise got worse as the day went on.. lukily I was taking it into Nissan as the bolts holding the gearbox in had GONE! dissapeared.. vannished so they tell me

Apparently all they need to do is repair the threads in the chasis and replace the bolts.. problem is bolts in Victoria ETA is Monday no courtisey cars so out of work till she's fixed
    Sorry to hear mate... Isnt it the worst feeling ever when you can work because of your broken down truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post

Pigs arse no car until it's fixed. They should find you one or rent one from a local rental car

Double pigs arse bolts from Melbourne - don't they have a demonstrator or new one in floorstock they can grab them from???. 5 minutes and a socket you should just walk out the front and get em for them and just tell em not to drive the one on the lot !!! I have actually done this with a supposed 6 week wait for rim and disc assemby on a bike - dealer wasn't happy but I had my repair as a complete sub assembly in 20 minutes.

They just aren't thinking and not providing a service especially since their product they predelivered just shit itself.

Quote Originally Posted by bingleboy View Post
    It doesn't roll along in 2nd - it has to be in Ist to handle a slow roll or even a speed bump.
    I'm not sure whats going on there mate, mine will idle along quite comfortably in second gear, I tried it on the way home yesterday.

i had mine replaced at 8300km, not even 6 months old yet. The new " heavy Duty" clutch and flywheel feel a little better although still soft, we'll see how it goes after another 10k. The problem with going after market is if there is an issue with any component slightly related to the clutch; they will blame it and not cover under warrantee. my dealer offers 200k and 6 years. so after 6 months i dont think after market is a realistic option. pity cos i really had my heart set on the Xtreme Outback one with a solid flywheel.

Fair enough point Orrsum. And the clutch does relate to the entire drive train. But I wouldnt expect nissan to come to the rescue for anything.

Nissan are and have always been a real prick to deal with (the poor dealers are stuck in the middle). Its been eco'd by people for ages "Nissan are good cars but I would never buy another 1 again" A few of the 4x4 guys I used to know worked for nissan and the stories where outragious from day dot.

People first complained about a 90kph shimmy in gq's as they where replacing bush's every 6 months to try and fix it. (not a big problem)
    "Nissan denied and tried to fix it in the gu by widenning the wheel base and running 0 offset rims to relieve pressure on the hubs"

5th gear then used to go in the gu manuals when towing.
    "Again denied and only fixed a minute number under warantee"

The 3litre patrols have been blowing up left right and centre leaving 100's if not 1000's of people stranded, some are on their 3rd engine in 2 years!!
    "Completely denied by nissan and again a minute number waranted"

See a pattern here... If it where my D40 and it wasnt doing what I wanted it to do (simply tow a boat up a ramp) id change the clutch and take on the responsability myself.

Fair call. I had decided to go the after market if it happens again, as i have heard some pretty good reports on them, be nice if i dont have to tho!

Yep, in the states if you want to change parts/clutch. The dealers have a list of recommendations. Doesnt void the warantee at all. They even recommend a tune for more torque etc which you can download from their website.

Apart from the clutch, never heard anything bad about the d40's. Missing bolts , sqeeky bush's, just the norm.

Can't believe how bad that navara is I used to tow a heavy 23 ft trailer sailer with a little 1600cc diahatsu . Going up the ramps in low range was simple. Won't talk about the highway though.

Take 2.... I just pulled the same boat from the same ramp and did not have an issue this time. put it in 4lo and was able to release the clutch and drive away in idle in both 1st and 2nd gears without a problem.

Im guessing (as "the real andy" sugessted here earlier) that the 4LO light was still flashing and that it was not actually in 4wd. a trick for new players not used to the whole electronic 4wd thing..... lesson learnt!

not exactly sure the clutch is the problem, regardless of the clutch system, low range first gear in anything should pull 6 boats up a ramp!

I tried the ranger in 4l on the weekend.Its just idled up the ramp.Something not right i say with the electronics.That was the my tipping point towards the ranger ,its still has the second lever ,not the pushbutton.I hope it works out though its a new truck after all and it should do it with ease regardless of the badge.
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

Had the boat out twice on the D40 and no problems.. I think I wasn't performiong the proceedure as per the manual (to used to manual switching, this one is electronic) It does pull my boat out in LR no problem.

Still have issues with abnormal noises.. it's going back to nissan this week
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Glad it seems to be sorted Garry. I drive an auto v6 one for work and it is a ripper combo, especially as I don't have to pay the fuel bill associated with it. The v6 is a much better match to the auto than the TD (my previous work one).

Beside the turning circle, my only issue is the electronic central locking and windows in a flooded situation - deadly.

I did try my 06 courier last weekend on a very steep ramp and it idled out, so as you said, just a pilot error due to time delay.

Steve