Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spin Rods - Master Hand on Rod or Reel?

Spin Rods - Master Hand on Rod or Reel?

Ausfishers, here is a dilema I'm hoping I can get your thoughts on.

I'm right handed and since I first picked up a rod, I've always used my master hand on the reel, regardless of baitcaster, spin or sidecast.

Then about four or five years back, I converted to left handed reeling (master hand on the rod) for bream spinning. This definitely improved my bream fishing as the feel and reaction time is about 100% better in my right hand.

But when it comes to snapper, kingies etc, I go back to right hand reeling as the strike isn't as important as the strength needed to fight big fish.

So now I'm ambidextrous on a spin rod, but I'm a bit lost on which s the best way to fish for barra. Fishing with Master hand on rod allows me to work the lure better with hops, twitches, pauses, and should allow me to stike better, but once I hookup, I struggle during the fight, it just doesn't feel right. Its the other way around when fishing master hand on reel.

I definitely prefer fishing for barra with a baitcaster, and really like the feel when slow rolling plastics, and fighting barra on baitcast gear. But I do like hopping, twitching lures better on spin outfits, and they are better at casting lighter lures.

I'm just hoping for thoughts from spin rod advocates, do you fish with master hand on rod or reel? Q1.

Q2. Do you fish spin with rod butt free of body (and rely on wrist strength for striking) or do you lock the rod into body when retrieving?

Cheers,

Matt

Re: Spin Rods - Master Hand on Rod or Reel?

Hi Matt, I am right handed and always reeled with my right up until 2 years ago. Now all spin and baitcaster reels with lures are retrieved with the left and rod held and cast with the right. Spin rod butt is held free in retrieve and play for bass. For barra retrieve, butt is free for retrieve except for playing of the fish which is against the body and away at times. Does depend also which spin rod I use as one of mine has a longer butt section and is not as comfortable away from the body.
    Funny with bait fishing,when it is done, I go back to right handed retrieve. - Richard

Right handed.. I've always used my left hand to hold the rod and right to wind. Winding with my left just feels strange, though I'm sure I would eventually get used to it.

Hi Matt

Why wouldn't you use the same set up as you do on Baitcast gear ?

I like to use my dominant hand controlling the fishing rod ....... better control & more power generated -

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks everyone so far, Richard I think I'm following the same path as you. I'm just a few steps behind.

Chris, All my baitcasters are Right hand wind, and I havent contemplated switching over actually. But now you have me thinking . For barra baitcasting I do a lot of slow rolling plastics, and I'm very comfortable with my master hand on the reel, butt of the rod is locked into the body at all times. I do feel a lot more control in the slow roll, and I also feel very prepared for the strike. Maybe I need to look at this situation as well , So here's another question, how many of you fish Left hand wind baitcasters?

Back to Spin

Unfortunately I haven't gotten to use spin much on my last two trips, as I keep having to lend my spin outfits to novices, they seem to catch fish!

With my boy just old enough to start casting himself, but right handed, I'm contemplating starting him on left hand wind right from the outset?

As it is easier to swap from right to left hand wind on spin reels, I find myself chopping and changing (for barra) and not getting comfortable with one way or the other.

Another question for the experienced, what percentage are you fishing spin over baitcast? I'm still at 90% baitcast.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt, Good question - and very interested to hear replies.

I think I am lucky, My dominant hand is left (write, throw, kick left foot too etc) but I fish right handed, as I also do with golf, cricket bat etc. So I think at this stage, according to the desired principles of dominant hand on strike, I would be set up OK...(excluding other factors I am probably doing wrong)

I have tried fishing left handed with a spin reel....felt a bit weird, but I think I could get used to it....I tried a baitcaster left handed too, but it didnt feel right having the reel upside down below the rod .

I think I will stick with right handed.....I would hate to have to sell all my righthanded lures and buy new lefthanded ones.

Cheers Steve

For spin I always cast with the right hand and wind with the left hand. For Baitcast I cast and wind with the right hand. It's more about balance than having the stonger hand doing the holding or winding. There is no right or wrong way, just do what feels more comfortable.

Steve, it sounds like being a lefty is an advantage in fishing!

No wonder I'm struggling on spin, my lures aren't sure which way to swim!

Aussie basser, I think your right! I'm just confused with spin for barra. Only time and practice will help me find my spin mojo.

So I'm off to Mondy to tonight, to make the most of this hot spell. I'll concentrate on sorting out my spin issues and get back to you on it thursday.

Cheers,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt fraser View Post
    Steve, it sounds like being a lefty is an advantage in fishing!

No wonder I'm struggling on spin, my lures aren't sure which way to swim!

Aussie basser, I think your right! I'm just confused with spin for barra. Only time and practice will help me find my spin mojo.

So I'm off to Mondy to tonight, to make the most of this hot spell. I'll concentrate on sorting out my spin issues and get back to you on it thursday.

Cheers,

Matt
    I thought you would have already been at Mondy Matt ........ have a fruitful trip

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Im right handed.

Spin - cast right handed and then swap to wind right handed. This is how I was brought up and cant seem to change.

Baitcaster - I only started on these about 5yrs ago & have found that I have taught myself to cast lefthanded and wind righthanded. No need to swap the rod over then. Works for me.

I use my baitcaster 99% of the time for throwing lures around these days, but use the spins when Im too lazy to re-rig rods etc or up the river where spin seems to get me across the other side with lighter lures.

As for holding the rod in close to body or out with the wrist, depends on the size of the little bugger on the other end.... Out for the natives so I can wrangle them around the boat and trees etc, but Kingies, Snaps etc (anything with a bit of go) I usually tuck it in close for leverage....cant comment on the barra - never been up that way sorry (YET)

Cind

Hi Matt,
    I am right handed but use spin casting gear with right hand cast and left hand wind. It happened years ago fishing for trout in shallow water and the need to click into gear when the lure hit the water otherwise lose it.
    With barra and bass I find it far easier to use spin gear with the left hand wind to work surface lures in particular walk the dog type lures.
    It feels far more relaxed!
    I guess it's pretty much a personal thing and what you feel most comfortable with.

Bad_Bazza

Hey Nagg, no I keep missing the turnoff and end up at Awoonga ! But now I've found the place, I am keen to get back again. Report up in FW reports later.

Cindy and Bazza , thanks for your comments, its amazing how different everyone fishes and what they have confidence in.

Cind, you've done well to learn to cast your baitcaster left handed!

Bazza, I'm with you about master hand on the rod for lure control.

MONDY FIELD TESTING
    After just returning from a quick Mondy trip, I fished two 15 hour sessions and fished spin for 80% of the time. I'm now fully converted to left hand wind, Right hand (master) on the rod for barra. I certainly now have so much more confidence in the reaction time and strength for setting hooks using my master hand on the rod.

So much so, I've lost confidence in my right hand wind baitcasters. I'm going to have to get a left handed baitcaster and see how that goes. But I have a feeling that my right hand wind baitcasters might be on the market soon.

Cheers,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt fraser View Post

MONDY FIELD TESTING
    After just returning from a quick Mondy trip, I fished two 15 hour sessions and fished spin for 80% of the time. I'm now fully converted to left hand wind, Right hand (master) on the rod for barra. I certainly now have so much more confidence in the reaction time and strength for setting hooks using my master hand on the rod.

So much so, I've lost confidence in my right hand wind baitcasters. I'm going to have to get a left handed baitcaster and see how that goes. But I have a feeling that my right hand wind baitcasters might be on the market soon.

Cheers,

Matt
    You might need to get some therapy Matt if you've swapped hands so quickly

Seriously, it sounds like a logical theory. I still feel unco trying to wind left handed though.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Paul,

I've actually been swapped over to left hand wind for bream (and bass) for a few years now. It was just barra fishing that still didn't feel good LH wind. Probably because all my barra baitcast work has been RH wind and it felt strange changing for spin.

But after this trip, I have huge confidence in LH wind spin over RH wind baitcast.

Cheers,

Matt

Hey mate,

Try this link should support your choice.

http://ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=152108

To avoid the junk, in summary dominant hand is better for fine motor work - hopping and twitching plastics, less dominant hand is stronger - better for stronger work like single arm rows, one arm bench, one arm chin ups all that sort of jazz oh and brutalising fish. Just what you said you had experienced.

I changed everything over to lefty probs 5 years ago and only go back when I am ripping slugs for spottys, there are just some dexterous tasks that you need a dominant hand on the reel for. Wouldn't change back as I no one borrows my reels anymore though I can only blame myself for the scratches now...

Cheers Scott