Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spin Rods - Master Hand on Rod or Reel?

Re: Spin Rods - Master Hand on Rod or Reel?

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    Hey mate,

Try this link should support your choice.

http://ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=152108

To avoid the junk, in summary dominant hand is better for fine motor work - hopping and twitching plastics, less dominant hand is stronger - better for stronger work like single arm rows, one arm bench, one arm chin ups all that sort of jazz oh and brutalising fish. Just what you said you had experienced.

I changed everything over to lefty probs 5 years ago and only go back when I am ripping slugs for spottys, there are just some dexterous tasks that you need a dominant hand on the reel for. Wouldn't change back as I no one borrows my reels anymore though I can only blame myself for the scratches now...

Cheers Scott
    Thanks Matt.....interesting insight......practice and repetition, practice and repetition.

Scott, thanks too mate.....I might give it a practice in the pool with left hand wind on spin. Becomes an expensive exercise though, changing over all my right hand wind baitcasters.

Having said that, it all makes perfect sense.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Quote Originally Posted by matt fraser View Post
    , So here's another question, how many of you fish Left hand wind baitcasters?
    Not me I'm a natural leftie, but I don't see why more right handers don't use them. Casting with one arm then passing it over to the other seems odd.

Being left handed, I cast with my left (spin or baitcast), the rod stays in that hand and just reel with your right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Not me I'm a natural leftie, but I don't see why more right handers don't use them. Casting with one arm then passing it over to the other seems odd.

Being left handed, I cast with my left (spin or baitcast), the rod stays in that hand and just reel with your right hand.
    Dicko, I'm now convinced that lnatural eft handers are born lucky when it comes to Barra baitcasting. Having that master hand on the rod for the cast and retrieve is the go.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    Hey mate,

Try this link should support your choice.

http://ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=152108

To avoid the junk, in summary dominant hand is better for fine motor work - hopping and twitching plastics, less dominant hand is stronger - better for stronger work like single arm rows, one arm bench, one arm chin ups all that sort of jazz oh and brutalising fish. Just what you said you had experienced.

I changed everything over to lefty probs 5 years ago and only go back when I am ripping slugs for spottys, there are just some dexterous tasks that you need a dominant hand on the reel for. Wouldn't change back as I no one borrows my reels anymore though I can only blame myself for the scratches now...

Cheers Scott
    Thanks Scott, I'm working my way through your linked post, I should have paid more attention to it before I started this one. There is a lot of information there to digest.

Cheers,

Matt

Having grown up & learnt to fish in the UK I was somewhat surprised when I first came to Oz to see everyone using their "wrong" hand to hold the rod... over there it has always been the accepted "right" way that the dominant hand controls/holds the rod & that the other winds the reel. One of the hazards that this avoided was given as missed bites when doing the switcheroo if you cast with the dominant arm & then had to swap arms before clicking the reel back into gear & getting ready or commencing to wind.

That said it has made life difficult & expensive when I am after baitcasters... I was not amused having to fork put an extra $50 for a left hand wind Curado recently. Anyone know the justification for this?

What is the accepted "right" way in say Japan or the US? If either of those are dominant hand on the rod then I would have thought there would be 1,000's of left hand wind baitcasters available.

Cheers,

Graham

Matt,

I'm thankful that I cast with the right and and then swap the rod over - it shares the load. Bugger using one arm for casting, ripping and fighting the fish - you'd have one arm looking like Stallone's and the other like a T-Rex's useless little limb.

SM

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post

Dicko...there is really no answers as to why people change hands. Perhaps it is because they are righthandicapped.

I cast the same as you seeing as I am a leftie also.

Matt,

I write with my right hand but do virtually everything else left handed/footed except tennis/squash. Actually, I play cricket etc left and right, so I am one confused fella.

I believe that my left is my dominant side regardless, which is what I hold my rod in upon retrieval. However I mainly throw the lure out over my right shoulder.

I think is is highly important to have total control on the rod (dominant hand) as the reel is effectively just a winch to store line on. The rod does the hard yards and is what puts hurt on the fish. You can make fish do some crazy things with different rod angles, but cannot personally say the same for the reel.

I too have tried both sides for long periods, and believe its up to each individual, as at the end of the day after 10hrs of cast and retrieve to barra with sometimes weighty lures, comfort is vital for your body and duration/stamina.

This is, as with all just from personal background, with very little apart from experience to back these comments up.

I do rememebr trying right hand on rod once at the end of the day I got my PB 127 plus several other fish. I decided to have a crack at it, and what should happen but hook onto another 110+ within first three seconds. My intial reaction was to wind my right hand and "hold on"with my left...WRONG WAY AROUND The ineviatable happened and lost that fish pronto....Have tried many times since however felt just as clumsy as it did the day I lost the 110.

Cheers and worthy thread

Matt

I am another one who is ambidextrous, I bat in cricket left handed , bowl right handed, play golf right or left handed, kick left footed, throw right handed. It makes sense to have a crack at fishing left handed

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i like to use my right hand on the rod i am right handed theres all my best control and i do get bruses on the belly. but i dont mind the let me remember the catch longer

Hands up anybody who has missed a bite whilst changing the rod from left to right or vice versa?
    Not me, not ever. You just have to be ready for a bite to happen, most people are not that intently ready for the bite.
    The milisecond for the transfer is barely enough time to register in your mind when the bite occurs, then there is the second milisecond for the impact to come up the line to your fingers.
    Jack.

I cast with my right hand for both spin and baitcast and change over to left hand while the lure is in flight so as the lure is landing I'm ready to start winding, so don't have trouble missing touchdown strikes.
    cheers scott.

I also cast with my Right hand and transfer to the Left before the lure lands with both Spin and B/Caster engaged just a split second before the lure hits the water.....I can understand those of you who don't use this method wondering why....Why do I use it, because it feels right and I don't even have to think about it at all, it is a natural thing for me to do(its a If it aint broke why fix it moment)......I have tried to cast Left hand with very poor results time and time again, just does not feel right at all.......Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

I’m predominantly a right hander and cast spin rods with the right & retrieve with the left.

I learnt this at an early age fishing narrow shallow streams casting predominantly sinking lures where you didn’t get time to change hands if you wanted NOT to lose lures.

Baitcast gear on the other hand is cast right handed & swap hands whilst the lure is in flight. Both methods feel natural to me even though they contradict each other.

I’ve tried left handed bait cast reels & they don’t feel right due to the weight forward axis point holding the rod behind the reel & narrower rotation of baitcast handles where as the balance of spin gear holding the foregrip generally balances an outfit perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Morgan View Post
    Matt,

I'm thankful that I cast with the right and and then swap the rod over - it shares the load. Bugger using one arm for casting, ripping and fighting the fish - you'd have one arm looking like Stallone's and the other like a T-Rex's useless little limb.

SM
    Firstly well done a thought provoking thread Matt.

Steve you raise a good point, after thousands of casts on the one arm with gear that is a fair bit heavier than our bass and bream gear it does take a toll on shoulders, elbows and wrists (Joints) let alone the muscles that get tired from this load say over a few days. I've seen nearly every person i know in the fishing scene suffer from this at one stage or another, then get sore backs at the end of the trip where casting distance can really fall off.

After you mentioned this idea i had a think about missing fish when being tired, or casts that are pretty poor compared to the first days casting when we were fresh. If we are not used to these reps/casts/load it may result in being off a bit with casts at the end of big days or trips, then a bit off with the action we are putting on lures if this arm isn't used to doing the desired movements etc.

Something to think about if someone is thinking about changing style, i wouldn't do it just before the tournament season etc, do it in the off season so you get thousands of reps practise as it's been documented that some movements take people 3000-5000 reps to undo a bad habit, yet a good habit tought from the start can be operating fairly well after 300 reps.

At the extreme i'd go and practise on sharks to get some time up actually catching fish with a combo/arm change, don't be too quick to judge, just practise as you never know when you need plan B etc on a long trip to Arnhem Land and you stuff up your good arm etc.

Observation
    One thing i have noticed is that the hand that is not used to the circular winding motion is at times more prone to being unco than the normal one, which is expected. Is this a trade-off with the better arm controlling the rod? Everyone being so different with different backgrounds may produce a lot of differing answers here, but it's food for thought.

Thoughts
    Sharing the load makes sense when reading the above, yet trialling other setups is a great way to find improvement if we are striving for that, nothing ventured, nothing gained. In summary give all different styles and techniques a good go, not just one go then put it in the rack, the body takes time to learn and unlearn patterns practised over a lifetime or several thousand reps.

Cheers Lyndon.