Thread: Soft Plastic Storage

Soft Plastic Storage

Hi I am getting into soft plastics and I am looking at what to store them in. I will keep them in their original packets but I will need to stand them up so they dont leak. I am thinking about a plastics tacklebox try but do they make them high enough to stand packets in? What do you guys and girls use?
    Cheers

Re: Soft Plastic Storage

I keep mine in their own packs and all stored in the individual lure bags of a Berkley lure storage case that I purchased at BCF for $16.95.

Those storage cases or wallets work and seal really well. I have found no problems since I got it.

cheers

I use a large decor food storage box. I use up to 12" plastics so the gags don't work for me. This way they don't get crushed and bent
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Do you have any problems with rust on those kinds of zippered storage cases? I haven't used one before.

Quote Originally Posted by breambandit View Post
    I keep mine in their own packs and all stored in the individual lure bags of a Berkley lure storage case that I purchased at BCF for $16.95.

Those storage cases or wallets work and seal really well. I have found no problems since I got it.

cheers

Gday Nic,

yeah you have to keep the zips lubricated after each trip.. even so i've had a few seize up on me still.

but they are an easy way to store your plastics. just don't try and over fill them like i did when i first started..

cheers
    Richard

No, I have come to hate the zipper storage bags, the zippers coat up with salt and rust, the bags split, and if you try shove a gulp packet in there and it didn't seal properly, the next time you use it, you come home with ugly stains all over your shirt and pants. If you look close enough in the photo below you can see a zipper case where the rings for the bags are coated with rust... I probably have the cheapy ones, but I still think the packets split in all of them.

I have bought a few various sizes of the plastic sealable containers branded "Sistema" that you will find in any supermarket. They have a rubber seal in the lid, and 2 clamps around the outside. Occasionally the seal needs a clean to ensure they do the job, and you can't forget to do the clamps up or you will end up with a disaster. I also buy gulp alive and spray the gulps every other week if they don't get used ( which is very rare) so they don't dry up. If there is enough juice in there, give it a shake and presto, forget about them for another few weeks.

I bought a kit cupboard to put everything into from the sweedish furniture mob, and everything works like clockwork... No hassels! I put all the Sistema containers in one of my livebait wells in the boat, occasionally forgetting for a few days to bring them back into the house after a trip. So long as they remain upright, no problem, but as I explained B4, if I don't clean the rubber seals every once in a while, they will leak.

Hope this is helpful.

Scalem

Having a closed cupboard keeps everything locked away and the softplastics smell contained.

This is how i store mine, it works well as the packets are always upright

cheers tim

No problems at all with the Berkleys zipper storage cases. the zipper is made of plastic so there is no problem at all with corrosion as some guys are complaining.

The zippers on the individual bags in the case seal with a press seal, similar to the soft plastics bags seal.

I normally store the SP storage bag inside an Shakespeare Ugly Stik fishing and tackle zipped and water proof bag similar to a sports bag, that I carry the boat with the rest of my tackle such as leader bobbins, jighead storage boxes, Hard body storage boxes etc etc, so my gear never gets wet even if it rains.

I do realise that if you are a deep sea guy that uses the 7" plastics, the lure bag is just too small and not suitable for that. For the average angler that uses the 3 to 5" SPs there is no better way to store them then in their own bags with their own individual juice, and in my opinion, the lure bag is ideal for that.

The Berkley lure bags are ok if you take out small amounts of lures. I used to use them in the begining but as my lure collection grew i essentially grew out of the lure bag concept...

As my collection grew, and i like to take out as much as i can to cover any concievable scenario, i had troubles keeping up with what stock i had. I had to devise a method to quickly sort through my collection with minimal down time.

I use a similar methods to a few here with some key differences. I keep my non-scented lures in plano tackle trays which means i discard the original packaging. These are sorted by lure type and lure size i.e 3" Bass Minnows in one box, 4" Power Minnows in another, jigheads, hard bods, poppers, shads, paddletails and so on.

With the scented stuff you sort of have to keep them in their original packaging and use the 'systema'/decor tupperware stuff to seal in the leaky juices.

All this is kept in a massive waterproof footy bag that houses 10 plano boxes a few tupperware containers, all my leaders, scissors, grips, pliers, scales, gloves and spare sunnies.

I found this system allowed me to see my options faster... it works for me anyway
    For fishing reports, fishing info, new techniques and fishing news read;
    Savvy Fishing Blog