Thread: Blackout

Blackout

... was produced by Terry Mass one of the American legends

Re: Blackout

Gee thanks for that, what a great watch, I have been totally wrecked from diving past my sensible limit when i was younger but never blacked out, makes me wonder just how close I may have come.

cheers fnq

4 weeks ago i pulled my dive buddy up from a SWB. he actally broke the surface then went into Samba.

he was 5m's away and after a few strong kicks small duck dive and i had him by his back above the water, removed his mask..

spoke calmly in his ear

'breathe'
    'breathe'
    'breathe'

and he snapped out of it within 15-20 secs

'thanks for that matt'
    'yeah no problem mate'

he returned to the boat and was in pretty good shape.

Dont dive alone. and make sure you have a buddie you can trust at the surface to watch you to the surface and recover

Good advice there mate, i'm not an experienced diver and it's hard at this early stage to know my limits. just have to be careful, dive with a buddy and keep an eye out for one another.
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

It's a shame the video didn't explain why shallow water blackout occurs!!! I tried to put it in simple terms in the diver dies thread and it's worth a read to any who intend free diving!

Ian
    Last edited by finding_time; 30-09-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added safety info, should have done it the first time
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post

as a beginner push your self hard if you like to develop your capasity, SWB wont be an issue until you improve you diving potential!

Ian
    this is very very wrong advice....

anyone at any time can have a swb/samba

experienced or not.. deep or shallow

Quote Originally Posted by kokomo View Post
    this is very very wrong advice....

anyone at any time can have a swb/samba

experienced or not.. deep or shallow
    I'll amend this so as to be totally correct with todays thinking swb occurs as mainly a result of hyperventilating and you should never never hyperventilate before any diver or swim!! Deepwater blackout like shown in the video and what this thred is about happens once the diver dives below 10m and burns the o2 in his lungs and yes it may occur in a new diver but would be very very rare !! But as stated always dive with a buddy!!

Kokomo

I'll PM you about this as we seem to be at a misunderstanding and on-line shitfights solve little but in many of your post you have made dangerous usumptions that are untrue! enough said PM on it's way!

Mods can you please remove the first post in this thread by finding_time. This is potentially leathal information for spearos starting out.

Never, Never, Never push yourself to the limits, inexperienced or experienced!!!!

Finding_time, the video clearly states this can happen even in a pool. How many pools do you know of are deeper than 10m? You don't have to dive deeper than 10m to suffer SWB, multiple short dives in shallow water can cause someone to black out.

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    It's a shame the video didn't explain why shallow water blackout occurs!!! I tried to put it in simple terms in the diver dies thread and it's worth a read to any who intend free diving!

Swindles

Mate blackout is a big problem for the experienced skin diver, and the better you get the deeper you'll dive and more importantly stay at depth longer using you O2 supply , You can also suffer a blackout in a pool but this is more a symptom of hyperventilation rather than the O2 trigger that is shown in the video! Again i'll add that you shouldn't dive alone always with a buddY who knows what to do! And dont hyperventilate it will kill you , it is a differant issue to the above though!

Ian

Ps i've amended the above, the satisfy below complaints, and to an extent i see there issue but what happens in a pool and what happens in the ocean are DIFFERANT problems and caused buy differant things!!!! Many people in spear fishing seem to want to call them both "Samba's" and show a lack of understanding of the issues and they should do more reserch!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_F View Post
    Mods can you please remove the first post in this thread by finding_time. This is potentially leathal information for spearos starting out.

Never, Never, Never push yourself to the limits, inexperienced or experienced!!!!

Finding_time, the video clearly states this can happen even in a pool. How many pools do you know of are deeper than 10m? You don't have to dive deeper than 10m to suffer SWB, multiple short dives in shallow water can cause someone to black out.
    That video is actually FULL of inaccuracy's!!!! And should be used a Basic guide!!!

Matt

No needs for the Mods mate have you ever heard of a pm?????????????? Ps There seems to be a big whole in many free divers knowledge of the actuall reasons for blackout and what actually occurs within the lungs and brain i sudjest you do some reading Some of the links i posted in the other forum are good ! I have spent a bit of time over the last weeklooking at spearo forums and the lack of correct infio out there is scary!

last years xmas work party we had a competition in the backyard pool....the good ole see how many laps you can do underwater with one breath.
    One bloke went under and was under for about 7 laps, it was getting dark into the late arvo so visibilty was low, he stayed under a little too long and was motionless on the bottom for about 15-20 seconds before we realised what had happened....
    That was some scary shit...
    He ended up being ok
    .......Ash

what is a samba?

for finding time here is an article

http://www.eiccontrol.com/productos/...alpressure.pdf

a small exert
    The simplest and most common way to report the amount of oxygen in air is to
    express it relative to the other compounds in the air. Oxygen in the Earth’s
    atmosphere has remained constant for several hundred years at 20.95%. This
    means that exactly 20.95% of the molecules in the air are O2 molecules. It
    doesn’t matter if you make this measurement at sea level or in the mountains of
    Logan, UT. The percentage (or fraction) of the molecules that are O2 molecules
    stays the same. However, the number of O2 molecules per liter does not stay
    the same at high elevations, and we need an O2 tank to climb Mount Everest –
    even though the O2 at the summit is still 20.95%. The number of O2 molecules
    per liter of air is the absolute O2 concentration.
    The absolute O2 concentration determines the rate of most biological and
    chemical processes, but it continuously changes with barometric pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by yakka View Post
    what is a samba?

Have a watch of the safety video in the other thread ... all is explained