Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Agnes / 1770 M & G report

Re: 2009 Agnes / 1770 M & G report

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    Team Bubi had fun.

The trip up was punctuated with too many stops, which drew it out into an 8.5 hour marathon. The fellas in Chicksloveit were drunker at each stop... Still, we eventually arrived at "Verandahs", and what a fine pad she is. Off to the pub for dinner, some lovely chats, and saw some faces that I was looking forward to!

Saturday dawned with a friggin' huge headache, and a bit too much breeze for this old hack. So we had some robust discussions about "where to tomorrow" and what tackle to take. Later it was off to the cookoff, and a very high standard was achieved. Tangles coming in last place was rough, I had him picked for second, but I did not try JD's creation. Bruce (Tropicrows) and I left early to watch the Crows game, and, while it was a top match, I nearly cried at the outcome.

Sunday saw us punching out to the reef, target - Boult Reef. 3 hours... Tired Skipper... "Try the 50 metre line behind it" was the message. We did. A few Tuskies, but nothing of note, had us a little frustrated, so we started to look further afield. "It's bloody 50m deep EVERYWHERE!!!" was heard by all within a 5 mile radius... So, pick out a mark "out there" and drive to it, watching the ground. About 8 ks from Boult, holy schlamoly, what's that??? Good shows, and a bit of motoring about showed us that this was all over the place. NICE!

By this time Bruce is burleying up nicely, and the rest of us dropped over the side. Mike's first legal Red comes up, and a nice Redthroat, but time is ebbing, and it's pretty rough, so off to Musgrave. The verdict? WHAT A DUMP! My clears had come unstitched, so we were all wet. I was annoyed about that, and poor old Bruce, after regrowing his lungs over that few weeks , had yodelled most of them up again, so I figured it was time for home. We burned outta that joint, had a quick meet with Stuie & team, and hammered for home and a nice warm bed.

Crossing the bar at night was fun. We DID find the wrong side of the outer Green marker, but survived. After painfully picking our way in with no moon, we finally got her off the water, and hit the bales. S...T...U...F...F...E...D...

Out again Monday - where's Bruce? He was having breathing difficulties aparrently, something to do with having no lungs - so we left him behind to manage domestic duties. First stop, livies. And, man, they were on. We loaded up on slimies, and headed for yesterday's spot X. It delivered...

I took first drop with a livie and a 5 kg Maori come up, double quick. I was only allowing one livie at a time, as Tangles was there... He took over, and after a while we had another Cod, a slightly larger Blue Maori! I chucked a second livie down (impatient) and BAM! A quick piscatorial debate and an 11kg Ambo comes in, PB! Soon after that a decent Spangly hit the deck too. Damo was keeping it real with the bottom bouncer, but the bait just wasn't doing the trick. He made a solid contribution to the take with a couple of Tuskies. Anyhoo, the bite shut down, and we moved off to check if that boat over there was Newby.

It was. As soon as we were in earshot, Newbs is hanging out of the flybridge screaming about Collingwood, really sticking in the boot. I didn't say anything about the crate they were fishing from, suffice to say "you came out here in THAT???" JD and Tranter were on the back, being raucous as usual. Good fun!

We headed home soon after, pretty happy with our results.

Tuesday was a quiet day, needed a rest. Still, I got hot feet and chased the boys onto the tub for an arvy troll around the headland. A diver and a skirt, no one can tangle that combo, right? Enough said... No fish.

Wednesday, meet up with Rhys. 5.30 at the ramp? Hey, this is Rhys, right? make it 6... Met the man on the bait grounds, and we moved around a lot, finally found some very hungry yakkas, mixed with a couple of slimies, and a lovely Bonito! Well, the Bonito went face down into a bucket with the deckwash up his schnozz, while Tangles and Damo stuck a bunch of 100lb leader and a butcher's hook on. Bunged the hook through the Bonito's top jaw, and Bruce starts to feed him out. Within 20 seconds, said Bonito has grown, and the line that was feeding was streaming out! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! WE'RE ON!!!! 15 minutes from the ramp! Anyway, Off I go after it, and I think we managed to give it a bit of line, so he got off. Lesson learned.

Off to Bustard Head following the Flamin' Riptide (what a beautiful traveller she is!) and a troll around the rocks. Livies, tremblers, divers, no luck. Zip. Zilch. So off we go looking for fish. 15 k's along, "Stop" is the message from Rhys. So we've pulled up, and started mapping out a show. And mapped, and mapped. Holy crap, this is HUUUUUGE!!! As big as a football field! We started to fish, and soon Lee on the Riptide had 7 or 8 kgs of Islander in, and I had an Islander about 45cm. Then, for reasons I shall call "my own", we had to up sticks and pull out early. Rhys followed us in, lamenting the missing of what was going to be the afternoon bite to end all. He went back to this spot christened "Cracker" next day, and did... well. DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!!

Hit the road on Thursday morning, and had an easy trip home, with the exception of a blown tire on the trailer. Clean up Friday and Agnes is over for another year.

Only, what, 348 sleeps to go?

Cheers,

Tim
    Tim, I have some great shots of that F111 you have there. I will try and post here tomorrow, but if not, give your email address to Rhys and i will send up.
    It wasnt just you banan benders having fun, but after a week with Rhys, I really had fun, learnt heaps, and met some great guys. Shame you fellas were tired and werent up for a few beers after that great run out to "Cracker"
    I will post our report after I finish typing it.

You are right about the travel on Riptide. I have been in my share of boats plus some, and have never rode in a plate boat better. Its solid, not to mention Rhys's tackle selection on board giving it another 400 KG's.

I have some great photos up on facebook if you search "Stephen Atto". A selection of fish caught and some great whale photos.

It was a week of firsts with me on the fish varieties.

Again, thanks for the humor, Flaming Riptide had its gunnels splitting for a while.
    Cheers
    Steve

Did I mention when I came back to Melbourne that none of my shirts fit any more. My arms streched six inches on those fish!

I extend my invitation mentioned if any of you guys want to come chase some great Snapper in Melb.

Cheers

Steve

Att Matt & Waz

Guys, I have some good photos of your fish back at the Ponderosa after you came back in. Send me an email and I will forward them.

steveatto@northernssangyong.com.au

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Straitjacket View Post
    Did I mention when I came back to Melbourne that none of my shirts fit any more. My arms streched six inches on those fish!

I extend my invitation mentioned if any of you guys want to come chase some great Snapper in Melb.

Cheers

Steve
    Gday Steve

sounds like you had fun on the Flaming Riptide, Rhys goes hard to put you on fish

so you have the camera all worked out then

now you put up the offer for a snapper session haha, I was down there last month picking up my Uncles motor home

your shirt should be on its way

cheers Murf

Hi Steve

Mate just had a quick look on Face book and some nice pic's.

Your sunsets turned out better than mine, I hope you have a flasher camera than me or I'll have to toss mine, and get a better one

I hope you lot where the obligatory 50+metres from those Whales

Rob T

See how I go with some of these pictures. Yes we kept our distance, but they wouldnt keep ours. Bit of a worry as the mother kept popiing up between us and the calf. Twice they went right under us as we drifted. Do they know about the 50 mtre rule?
    No Cant do the photo thing, I will have to do some research.

Cheers

On the whale thing, when we were out with Newby, we had a spot where there was a procession of whales moving through in 2 or 3s and only 100.1m away

We had another couple on the trip out to Musgrave that gave a great display of full breaching.

Most cool!

Steve

Hey Steve - e-mail addy on the way - thanks Mate. We saw the full breach thing wide of boult as well, spectacular! Also had a dolphin splash water in my face, never got THAT up close and personal with them before!

Matt.

While I'm at it, what is the deal with that customs jumbo that kept buzzing us at 1770. I thought Rhys might have tipped them off that we were mexicans doing drug runs instead of catching trout or something the number of fly by's at a few hundred metres that they did on us!

Matt.

For the record, was the mug of "JOY" passed onto someone worthy

Damo

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    While I'm at it, what is the deal with that customs jumbo that kept buzzing us at 1770. I thought Rhys might have tipped them off that we were mexicans doing drug runs instead of catching trout or something the number of fly by's at a few hundred metres that they did on us!

Matt.

What do you mean Matt?

Was it a Coastwatch aircraft with CUSTOMS marking on the side?

If so than I think they are the ones contracted for the aerial surveillance of the marine parks. If you were in a marine park at the time they would have been doing a fly by to get a visual on whether you were fishing before taking your photo for the prosecution.

- Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Rat View Post
    For the record, was the mug of "JOY" passed onto someone worthy

Damo
    I think Stuie kept it as no body had the gut's to put there hand up for a run at it, me inclusive

Rob T

Quote Originally Posted by Mr__Bean View Post
    What do you mean Matt?

Was it a Coastwatch aircraft with CUSTOMS marking on the side?

If so than I think they are the ones contracted for the aerial surveillance of the marine parks. If you were in a marine park at the time they would have been doing a fly by to get a visual on whether you were fishing before taking your photo for the prosecution.

- Darren
    That was the one. We were about 5-6 K east of Fitzroy (the northern end) at the time though - best to my knowledge, I would have been a whole lot further south before there was any green zone around me. Maybe he was just getting GPS marks for next weeks fishing. You've got me worried now cause he did about 5-6 close fly by's! We just waved. Better double check those GPS coords!!!

Matt.

That was the one. We were about 5-6 K east of Fitzroy (the northern end) at the time though - best to my knowledge, I would have been a whole lot further south before there was any green zone around me. Maybe he was just getting GPS marks for next weeks fishing. You've got me worried now cause he did about 5-6 close fly by's! We just waved. Better double check those GPS coords!!!

Matt.
    I would make sure you save your tracks if you still have them on the GPS!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Matt.

Don't worry mate, I hear that the meals are pretty good and with the free night time activities you'll be right.

Mark...