Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Agnes / 1770 M & G report

Re: 2009 Agnes / 1770 M & G report

Quote Originally Posted by vertico View Post
    newby....ive never had a problem with the bar there yet ...(touch wood)

what was wrong with it ?

sean

Seeing as how I was on Carnelpya at the time, I would say

"MORE SAND THAN WATER"

but we got over in one peace so all is good, although it could have been the size of Carnelpya @35 feet compared to my 15footer

If any of you want names to the faces in my pics, letme know, as it is I can't be bothered

Rob T

Okay tropicrows

them thar chillies are GOOD

just had a couple and a drizzle of oil on a hot dog and

how do you preserve them?

cheers Murf

vertico, ( sean )

from my knowledge of the bar crossing of Carnelpya.

1. Newby came in at an hour or so before low tide.... out going.

2. the bar has silted up from the south and is the shallowest I have seen in all my years of going there.

3. ON that day there was an easterly swell with SE winds , but the swell wrapped around the headland and made the breaking waves hit the bar at 45 degrees.

4. Newby came in square on and with a wave at 45 picking up the port stern and pushed the big rig at a bugga of an angle, at the same time pushing the bow down and with about a mtr of water under her and a draught of 800, there was a " situation ", that would probably not happen with a much smaller craft.

5. Newby powered on the port engine, but didn't work so pulled the starboard engine into reverse which brought the big girls nose straight.

Newby, that bar is OK, it's just that you probably crossed it at about the worst time. Hindsight is a good thing, and maybe you should have come into the bar a little more from the north...? . Maybe also, I should have been around to provide a pilot boat for the big rig .....

In the end, you made it in and out.......twice... all is good.

I watched Mr Bean come in and he hit it at speed and once in the bar, powered on,,, made it look easy.

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by vertico View Post
    newby....ive never had a problem with the bar there yet ...(touch wood)

what was wrong with it ?

sean
    just over a meter of water, a quartering swell and breaking waves all added up to 12 tonne of boat not getting its own way. Wave picked up the arse and pushed us at pace towards the rocks so with full forward port throttle and still going that direction, starboard throttle got slammed into full reverse to pull the boat back straight. Scary, dangerous and unnecessary. Dig the damn channel back out. Not worth the $5000 every timeI need to rebuild a trannie after slamming gears. They dont like it, neither do I.
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

So come on Phil, what are next years dates?
    Hurry up man, I have plans to make
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

Quote Originally Posted by NEWBY View Post
    So come on Phil, what are next years dates?
    Hurry up man, I have plans to make

And please not the second week in September, Poor Steve will be devestated if he misses out on the Mondy Muster 2 years running.

Quote Originally Posted by trymyluck View Post
    And please not the second week in September, Poor Steve will be devestated if he misses out on the Mondy Muster 2 years running.
    Yeah, end of August like Newby wanted. Well away from the school holidays. Also Mark has 2 wedding to go to in September.

Can we align with PBA again?

I kind of like the rivalry, the knowledge of their members and the end of week get together.

- Darren

Didn't someone suggest Two trips?

RobT

Quote Originally Posted by rob tranter View Post
    Didn't someone suggest Two trips?

RobT
    That'd mean two Visas for a rude bastard like you to cross the border? I don't reckon you'll get 'em!

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Hi
    A great week we had. A funny tale that could have been so bad.
    Got home Sat lunch time and unpacked and seeing as the missus was hanging to wet a line offered to take a run in the morning out to the straights. Straight into the brownie points. Anyway up and away early sunday morning and got about 10km down the road when looking in the mirrow thought to myself that don't quite look right so pulled over on the side of the road as the trailer started to fishtail a bit and then the trailer started to drag in the gravel. Gets out and this is what i find.
    Ended up having to take drawbar off, back home and weld new box section on and all was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr__Bean View Post

I kind of like the rivalry, the knowledge of their members and the end of week get together.

- Darren
    I believe that would take us back to October and the weather change that we were trying to avoid. Maybe the PBA would like to align with us instead???

Also, although late August is usually great weather, the fish are quiet. Its right on on the change of seasons. Winds, currents and water temp all play a part.

I am up for anything. I have 12 tonne of boat and can get out in most weather...
    NEWBY T.G.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    That'd mean two Visas for a rude bastard like you to cross the border? I don't reckon you'll get 'em!

Tim
    Ahh you did take offence, my work is done

Mate I can cross that line any time I like, actually get invited sometimes, besides if they let you move there from shitsville SA then I'm like royalty as far as Q/Landers are conserned

Mark
    That was lucky with the drawbar could have been real trouble.

Hey Newb's
    Isn't 1770 in Gladstone Council area now, why not show them some of your charm about the Bar?
    Then Carnelpya can cross anytime, if they do something that is.
    Is it Council or Waterways?

Rob T

Quote Originally Posted by Mr__Bean View Post

- Darren
    Yeah Darren, was good to catch up with some you guys last year, we will be lonely up there this time without you rowdy bunch... . I will be up with PBA, but not for the full week unfortunately. I think a move to an earlier slot would definitely present a better chance of good weather, though not sure if they have gone up earlier in previous years.
    cheers
    Brendon

For those of you that are interested, I have posted another M&G oportunity fro the Glastone area. It is a different affair to the Agnes 1.
    Just a 2 nighter but a great camping trip on Hummock Hill Island....
    Good people and gorgeous spot....
    NEWBY T.G.