Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Egrell S10 alternative?

Egrell S10 alternative?

I have an S10 at the moment and am looking at getting another one - but I'd been keen to here from anyone that would recommend an alternative to look at.....I'll be running a Certate 4000 with 10 - 20lb braid.....I like the S10 due to it's tip feeling quite radical / soft - other rods in it's rating are quite stiff in the tip....

Cheers,
    Reddybayfisher

Re: Egrell S10 alternative?

Mate...there are other alternatives but i just got back from the top end and i had a ball on my s10. In my reckoning there is no equivalent in design characteristics anywhere...

Man i just love it...too bad i cant use it more around sydney...
    For fishing reports, fishing info, new techniques and fishing news read;
    Savvy Fishing Blog

You could look at the Nitro Magnum Butt Distance Spin. Its cheaper and it has a expeditor option to replace a broken rod section. They are similar to the S10 in that they don't use Fuji SICs though
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    You could look at the Nitro Magnum Butt Distance Spin. Its cheaper and it has a expeditor option to replace a broken rod section. They are similar to the S10 in that they don't use Fuji SICs though
    I have 2 of them aswell as an S10 & would say they are a totally different type of rod.

I would be looking at some of the G.Loomis, Zenaq, Daiwa, Smith & Samurai rods. I have played with a few that I would consider trading my S10 for. Allot of the Light tuna/skipjack & mahi mahi jap rods suit our style of offshore plastic fishing pretty well. If you are in Brissy go down to Fish head & tell them what you are after.

loomis problue pbr844s 15-30lb . stronger with more sensitivity. big fish killer

Fishhead is where I am shopping and the other alternative they showed me was a Luvius - which I didn't like....

I'll have a look at the Loomis PBR844s - as they stock Loomis....

I don't think fishhead stock Nitro rods....but I presume Tackleworld would....

I originally ordered an S10 with a split grip but was told that Eric would make me one but not put a warranty on it due to the guides being moved up and the high graphite blank not able to take more load up front of the rod....the S10H and Bear S10 can be done with split grip but with a different type of blank - that is stiff at the tip...

Thanks for the alternatives...

Had a look at the Bear s10h Split grip yesterday - nice rod - at the Tackle Warehouse. Also do the Nitro range and Samurai....

I've got a BeaR S10H Split too and it is fantastic, but it is a way different rod to my straight Egrell. The Egrell has a far more responsive tip and, I think, cast lighter jig heads better, but for sheer grunt and a good deal of finese, go the Bear S10 H Split grip, but a sexier outfit is the Egrell.
    If you're a fan of the stuff Eric and Deb put out, why change?
    Tim

Was in Fish Head and they had plenty of Nitros. saw a Bear Essential overhead Eric built them and a couple of other different Egrells I haven’t seen anywhere else. Some on sale too. I need to stay out of that shop -. Have you looked at the Steez Hot Dog?

Suprised they showed you a Luvias???? Maybe speak to another sales guy. Ask to have a look at the Zenaq twitch & a couple of the other japanese rods there. The Nitro Magnum is a sh1tload lighter rating than the S10 & doesn't compare, The Godzilla would be a better match.

There is a new Steez called a power junkie which will be released soon, might be worth a look. ***edit*** Sorry I got them mixed up the hot dog is the heavier version.

I've played with the Hot Dog which is a very strong rod. I went with a Power Junkie though. I don't think there is any alternative to an S10. I've got a B10 split grip and it is a pretty radical rod. I've taken Yellowfin, Trevally and PNG Black Bass on it and can't fault it.

Are you looking for a heavier or lighter alternative to the S10? The S8 or S6 may be worth a look. I have an S4 that has taken Barra to 114cm and can't fault it.

Been to Fishhead this morning and Duncan showed me a few alternatives....had a look at the Nitro, Loomis, Smith, Luvius & T-curve........have a guess at what I walked out with...

Quote Originally Posted by reddybayfisher View Post
    Been to Fishhead this morning and Duncan showed me a few alternatives....had a look at the Nitro, Loomis, Smith, Luvius & T-curve........have a guess at what I walked out with...
    A lighter wallet and a cranky wife

Quote Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
    A lighter wallet and a cranky wife
    LOL - every time I walk in there I always end up with $50 - $100 worth of gear - whether SPs, jigheads, line etc....it's so easy to spend which is the concerning bit...

What exactly is the new rod to be used for? Throwing plastics at pelagics? deep water snaps? etc etc It might be easer to suggest rods with some more info on its intended purpose.I have found the nitro magbutt to be a far more effective weapon if you plan to throw plastics at pelagics like longtails, and if its deep water snaps your after, well there are also plenty of other options, though personally for this kind of stuff i actually prefer a stiffer tip then the s10.

Cheers Chris