Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Egrell S10 alternative?

Re: Egrell S10 alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by kevvie View Post
    Fuji guides are not the be all and end all... like any brand with good marketing its easy to think they are the only option.

There are a few Ti Sic guides around alot cheaper than Fuji and just as good.
    I'm sure there is but we are talking Egrells & they don't have ti's let alone sics. I'm just saying most of the top rods use Fuji's with sics or ti-sics so why mess with something thats proven.

On another note I just saw the new K series fuji guides & they look awesome!!! no more tangles.

http://www.tackletour.com/previewfujikseriesguide.html

i think fuji is the best as do most rod manufactures. To not use them on a premium range of rods is a bit strange and would be a deciding factor during purchase for me. I have many rods with fuji alconites(many loomis) and find them strong and corrosion free; with little or no maintanance. Getting back to the original topic s10 alternative loomis pbr844s or pbr843s(bit lighter). Lighter ,stronger more sensitive.

The old Fuji is the best debate. This could be true but unless you know the make up of every guide in the world then it’s simply an opinion. I have been building rods for 20 + years and used Fuji exclusively. Many years ago I made the decision to change to another brand which I was told was of upmost quality and was tested for at least 2 years prier to release. I went along with that information and after several months I had rods coming back with the finish peeling off the frames, the rings falling out and bad corrosion to top it of. Now this cost me several thousand dollars to repair these rods, I couldn’t charge for it as it was my stupidity for believing what I was told and not actually field testing the product first. After months of arguing to get some form of compensation from the wholesaler I gave up and went back to Fuji and had no problems since.

In having said that though I have come to see many great guides come onto the rod building market with no problems as yet. The quality is much higher now than what is was even 10 years ago. There is still a fair bit of rubbish to troll through before reaching the good gear so to speak. The one concern for me with these other brands of guides is the unknown quantity of Silicon in the ring, what grade of stainless in the frame, just because it says 316 doesn’t mean it is, and how many times can the frame bend before metal fatigue sets in. Guides aren’t always guides just like oils aint oils. Fuji has a long history which gives me confidence while other wholesalers guides could be made anywhere with substandard materials, so you be the judge.

Stu

Stuart

Its great to see someone who stuck by their own moral code and replaced the faulty guides at their own expense. It shows a certain level of integrity and this would certainly be a big consideration if I was chasing a custon rod.

It still beats me why Eric does not bite the bullet and put on Fuji Sics especially after all of the drama
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Just for the record, My post was not aimed at Eric or his rods in anyway. In fact I have a great deal of respect for Eric and the product he produces, plus he is a hell of a nice guy.

Stu

I don't think anyone has said a bad word about Eric or his work. I guess the decision to use an alternative can keep the price down and I would imagine there won't be any further issues.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Just go and buy a precision rod..bloody good gear.

Thanks to all for your responses - as noted earlier I settled for the S10H with split grip....

As alternatives to the S10 - several rods were stated and I did look at many of them.....

I hope that anyone that does a search on the S10 will find this thread and make there own conclusions.....

I hearby declare this thread closed....

I think it's time to rehash an old thread. As the title says - alternative rod for S10 Egrell. Not interested in hearing about guides on the Egrell range of rods, as I think it's been and done. There should be some newer rods on the market since 2009. Maybe even a blank worthy of a custom jobby.

TIA

I still haven't found a better rod than my old S10. I guess I got lucky, because none of my Egrells have broken or gone rusty.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

The offshore Samurai's - there are a few choices (line classes) - Fantastic rods (quality through & through) with the benefits of a detachable butt section. .... at about the same coin
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

If you have guide issues go to Mark Alderson at Victoria Point. He reguided my S1 with K guides and it is even better than new. Back to the original topic. I have the S10 bear and still love it.

No guide issues - Eric provided me with a brilliant rod so many moons ago, but it recently became shorter than it should be, hence the need for a replacement.
    Thanks for the responses.

wags have a look at the abu garcia veritas rods ,I use a 5-9 kilo for floatling for snapps,a tippy rod what loads right up..only cheap but a solid rod

built a few on a few blanks in the 10 -20lb range for soft plasiics snapper fishing and at the moment I am using a ..St. Croix SCiv 4SW70MHF 10 -20lb Inshore Saltwater Blank ....and if ya want to pay the price ..... one of the best blanks around