Thread: $23 DIY 'yak trolley

$23 DIY 'yak trolley

I just moved close enough to the water that putting the kayak on the roof would be pointless.

Empty, I can carry it but loaded up with rods in place ect, it's a hassle.

Due to my tightarsedness, I didn't want to pay $90+++ for a couple of wheels so here it is.

Trolley $19

Rubber from the chandlery $4

The wieght on the back forces the trolley up for more support and I dont' need to tie it.

It took all of 15 mins and the only pain in the butt part is contouring the cut in the trolley.

Re: $23 DIY 'yak trolley

Fantastic mate, I'd look into getting a patent on that!
    Get your name on it!
    Looks like there is enough of the platform there to still use it as it was intended.
    Cool.

I paid way too much for mine...
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

I made one similar to your except that I used the red supacheap trolley with pneumatic tyres. I also cut the handles off at about the first cross rail. With my trolley like this I can fit it into smaller places as it is only as long as it is high and I simply lift the kayak onto it at about the point of balance in the middle of the yak. This way there is much less weight to carry when lifting the front and pulling the yak behind you. I can also easily manouvre it from the back end also as with the trolley at the point of balance in the middle of the yak you just push down on the back to raise the front and push it if need be.

Just remember to lay your rods flat whilst moving your yak around rather than have them in rod holders sticking up in the air, because one day you will hit a bit of uneven ground or the street kerb or something and the yak may roll onto the rods and snap them off. I saw this happen to a guy who lost 2 $450 rods in about 3 seconds.

Kev

Ouch, that would hurt.
    I have never thought of that either...
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

i learnt that leason pretty quick myself, didnt snap any rods but came close when they hooked up to trees

thanks for the good idea, iw as just about to go and bye one of those expensive trolleys, thaks lads saved me $150

Quote Originally Posted by Just_chips View Post
    I made one similar to your except that I used the red supacheap trolley with pneumatic tyres.
    Agreed. While we've never owned a 'yak, we do own a 15ft 'glass canoe.
    First trolley I built was from one with pneumatic tires. It lasted very well considering the lack of maintenance. Once the bearings finally seized, I made one from what looks the same as yours.... no where near as easy to move on uneven ground.....

I was all set to make something similar when I was given a yak trolley.

However Might still knock one up like yours, I could use a bike chain to secure it to the fence near the boat ramp, save me carting it back to the car, and if someone went to the trouble of pinching it, its only a couple of hours work and $20-$30 to replace!

I lock mine up with a bike lock, couldn't be easier.