Thread: Does this happen elswhere

Does this happen elswhere

Media Releases

Minister orders investigation into 'rorting' of research fish carcasses

Date: Saturday, 12 September 2009

Fisheries Minister Norman Moore is requiring a full investigation into allegations that about 400kg of fish used in Department of Fisheries research in Broome were later shipped to Perth and shared among staff for personal use.

Mr Moore wants an explanation as to how the filleted fish was allegedly sent from the department’s Broome offices to its offices at Hillary’s boat harbour in July 2008.

The Minister said that he could not make any specific reference as to the veracity of the allegations.

“I am advised by my department that complaints and allegations of misconduct are referred to the CCC as a matter of course, and this has occurred in this case,” he said.

“I must say that I find the timing of these claims is interesting. Mr Starck is reported of being told of this event in July 2008 - when the previous Labor government was in power - and he allegedly showed photographic evidence to Fisheries department staff in November 2008.

“This was not reported to me until Mr Starck’s letter of last week. Without giving me time to respond, Mr Starck has provided the letter to the media.

“I have been advised by the Department of Fisheries that it undertakes a number of research projects requiring the capture of fish.

“The specific example identified in the most recent media report is part of an ongoing project that requires the annual capture and assessment of fish. Fish collected through the project are typically used for purposes such as stock assessments, genetics and comparisons of fishing efficiency. On occasions, samples are provided to the WA Museum for research purposes.

“I am advised that the research field trip carried out in July 2008 included an assessment of the impact of trap fishing and “ghost” traps.

“It is relevant to note that some fishing techniques involve the collection of large volumes of fish which may have an adverse impact on fish stocks, particularly when the fishing is concentrated in particular areas for prolonged periods.

“It is important we understand the impact of these techniques to guide future management decisions.

“Product from some research projects is sent to the Hillary’s research laboratories in frozen form. This usually includes a mixture of fish frames, fillets, excess bait and whole fish, which are used for further research.”

Department of Fisheries chief executive Stuart Smith said the standard practice for research projects in the past had been to distribute any edible remains among staff who participated in the project.

“This practice has since ceased this week, pending a more thorough review,” Mr Smith said.

Re: Does this happen elswhere

Personally I dont see a problem with that. its called a perk. Who among us has never had a little perk of some kind every now and again. I would rather think someone was having fish for tea rather than seeing them just dumped.
    The only problem would come if they were just going overboard and just illegally netting for a free feed and I would hope that wasnt the case.
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

Personally, I think that fish caught like this should go to old people's accomodation or hospitals or such like

Have you seen the base wage for a fisheries officer?
    I commend them for their role & have no problem with distributing fillets, only once their scientific purpose has been served.

I guess if they catch the fish for research they should just dump them in the trash then?

They should take a leaf out of the japaneese book...............all staff recieving fish for personal consumption should be required to report on the palatability and texture of the flesh and experiment with cooking methods .....for research purposes......seriously.

Petty

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.