Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New Toyota Prado - 3 t towing?

The New Toyota Prado - 3 t towing?

Hi All.

The new prado is to be launched on the 16th of november.

The information I have is rumuor only, so if it is off the mark, I appologise:

Toyota is releasing the Toyota Prado 3 door (these already exist OS) which has a 3 tonne towing capacity.

I did some research last night, the link below is of a 3 door prado.

Unfortunatley, the 5 door will still only be 2.5 tonne.

Can anyone elaborate on this? I loved my 04 Prado......I think I might go for a test drive in the new one.

Yes these cars aren't initially that attractive to the eye, but I am more interested in towing capacity, drivabilty, and offroading. Being a shorter wheel base, it might be really good for moreton etc.

I realise the car has not yet been released, but cars arent my strong point. So any views/opinions from someone in the know would be appreciated.

Re: The New Toyota Prado - 3 t towing?

more info...again, not confirmed:

http://dixonarchive.com/prado/pradovsprado2010.htm

plenty on the prado here

http://www.pradopoint.com/

I used to tow 2 tonne with a SWB Patrol, dont think I would like to be towing 3tonne any distance with a SWB anything. I am just imagining putting my bros 2400KC on the back of a SWB.....nahhh..pass on that thanks. May be rated as such......but its a bit like putting 4.5 tonne on the back of a Disco...might be rated to do it...but i dont want to be the one driving it. (I have towed big boats and double and triple horse floats all over the country side.....there is a big difference between the ratings...and what is safe/sensible/practical). Just my humble opinion.

Greg

Hi Greg, thanks for the tip.

My boat is 2.4 tonne which I currently tow with a Mazda Bravo which I am not the biggest fan of.......but I appreciate your advice as I have never towed with an swb before.....I was wondering how a swb would go and why an swb would have a higher rating than its 5 door brother...As it turns out, what the dealer has told me, and what is in the link I posted are very different.....In fairness to the dealer, the info at this stage is not confirmed as I mentioned from the outset.

It appears the five door prado manual will have a 3.2 t towing capacity.....I would prefer the five door anyway.

The new version is a lot a heavier 200 - 400 kilos??? I will need to go for a test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by lampuki View Post
    Hi Greg, thanks for the tip.

My boat is 2.4 tonne which I currently tow with a Mazda Bravo which I am not the biggest fan of.......but I appreciate your advice as I have never towed with an swb before.....I was wondering how a swb would go and why an swb would have a higher rating than its 5 door brother...As it turns out, what the dealer has told me, and what is in the link I posted are very different.....In fairness to the dealer, the info at this stage is not confirmed as I mentioned from the outset.

It appears the five door prado manual will have a 3.2 t towing capacity.....I would prefer the five door anyway.

The new version is a lot a heavier 200 - 400 kilos??? I will need to go for a test drive.
    Let us know when your in the market . A freind of mine is the
    manager at downtown !

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    I used to tow 2 tonne with a SWB Patrol, dont think I would like to be towing 3tonne any distance with a SWB anything. I am just imagining putting my bros 2400KC on the back of a SWB.....nahhh..pass on that thanks. May be rated as such......but its a bit like putting 4.5 tonne on the back of a Disco...might be rated to do it...but i dont want to be the one driving it. (I have towed big boats and double and triple horse floats all over the country side.....there is a big difference between the ratings...and what is safe/sensible/practical). Just my humble opinion.

Greg
    Disco is only rated to 3.5 tonnes.
    Fido

Funnily enough my pre ABS 95 Disco V8 is rated per the handbook at 4,000kg....thats a bloody lot of weight for a 100 inch wheelbase and a 2 tonn truck...If the load is 3 tonn I would be wanting to tow it, well more than a couple of k at least, with a Dodge Ram...I dont like the bloody big thing behind being heavier than the tow vehicle, irrespective of the trailer braking system.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Just for arguments sake in relation to weight ratios for a 2.5t vehicle to tow a 4t boat i think there is no problem other than the driver who just wants to go as quick as he would without the load.Look at prime movers 8t truck towing 40-60 t of trailer and load,Just my opinion.Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Mate - I understand your comment but a prime mover's sole design and purpose is to tow....they are so purpose built for this that they shouldnt be driven far without load on those diesels.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I spoke to two dealers about the upcomming release of the new prado and they both informed me, that as far as they were aware, both the manual and auto version will only have a towing capacity of 2.5 t.....which really sux! This contradicts some info I had recieved previously.

Only the three door will have a 3t towing capacity. The 3 door is apparently 40 cm shorter than the 5 door. In light of SleepyGreg's comments, any thoughts on how this vehicle might tow a boat around 2.3 t?

[quote=lampuki;1073362]Hi All.

The new prado is to be launched on the 16th of november.

The information I have is rumuor only, so if it is off the mark, I appologise:

Toyota is releasing the Toyota Prado 3 door (these already exist OS) which has a 3 tonne towing capacity.

That is right lampuki, i went into a dealership last week and the sales manager said the same thing. toyota are aiming the three door at the grey nomads for their caravans. he also told me that the gxl model will be an extra 7 or 8k on top of this model, and the top of the range model, kakadu (i think), is going to be just shy of 100k. bit rich if you ask me considering it has the same motor, gear box etc as the hilux and old prado, just a bit more bling and electronic

Hi Mulldog.......nice dog

I heard a rumour, and it was repeated at:

http://dixonarchive.com/prado/pradovsprado2010.htm

that the manual would have a 3.2t towing capacity....whilst this appeared to be on the high side for a prado, it made sense as most other car manufacturers of that sized 4x4 set the auto at 2.5 but the manuals at 3t.

Dissapointed that this now appears to not be the case!

having attended the launch last week for Prado it is definately 3 door = 3 tonne and 5 door = 2.5 tonne. Manual and auto are rated the same.

the 3 door will have better fuel economy also then the 5 door, and come in 2 grades.

drove both 3 dr and 5 dr at the launch and both performed awesome.

latest press releases of info available at www.pressroom.com.au > toyota
    just one more cast........

So the smaller car has the higher tow capacity???? Just curious as to how this is so...not trying to stirr...just trying put some logic to it!

Greg