Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The New Toyota Prado - 3 t towing?

Re: The New Toyota Prado - 3 t towing?

Hi Greg/chiefsimo.

I am disappointed that the manual does not have a higher towing capacity.....most other manufactures rate their manuals with a higher towing capacity.....oh well.

Greg, the smaller car does indeed appear to have the larger towing capacity. When I ask the dealers why the 3 door had a larger towing capacity (I won’t mention which dealer/who), they went in to melt down mode. Rather than just saying, I don’t know, they rambled on with crap which was obviously not relevant.

Despite the 3t towing rating, I am really unsure if a vehilce with a 2455 wheelbase is the way to go for towing, despite what their marketing might say!

Going back many years.....I had a MK patrol SWB....3lt donk manual tranny, and a commodore wagon 3lt engine auto tranny (company car). The boat I had at the time was a 5.33 Cruise Craft. Which towed the boat better?.......... In all areas, except reversing the boat down ramps and around the back yard.....the commodore won hands down. Eventually moved to a GQ SWB Patrol as a company car...so got rid of the MK. Heaps of grunt and couldnt complain about the performance with the boat behind....but when the boat was hooked up to my sisters GQ LWB....felt much safer and in control of the rig on the road.....especially over any distance.

Greg

What is the wheelbase of the shorty Greg?

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I was googling around trying to find the wheelbase of the GQ SWB as well to compare it to the 3 door prado.

geeez...cant remember those details from that far back...but if your googling....the ford maverick was a rebadged Patrol...might get some more info that way. I will do some digging as well.

Greg

2400mm SWB

2970mm LWB

91 GQ details of Redbook.

- Darren