Thread: & so, it's finally over

& so, it's finally over

BOSWELL ‘ECSTATIC’ THAT GREEN ZONE CONVICTIONS FINALLY SPENT
    The Nationals Senator Ron Boswell said today that he was ecstatic that the long awaited amendment that would see criminal convictions for those fishing in a green zones regarded as spent has finally been proclaimed.
    Today in the Senate a document, presented by the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts (Minister Garrett), was tabled announcing theProclamation of provisions in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Act 1975 relating to spent convictions of certain offences (agreed to 25 June 2009).
    Senator Boswell said that “the proclamation of these provisions has taken far too long but it is a relief that it has finally happened.”
    “This is an historic amendment that will right the wrongs of the past.”
    “The weight of a criminal conviction has been lifted from the more than 300 people who were convicted for fishing in a green zone before the penalties changed to include only a heavy fine for the same offence.”
    “The convictions were totally unfair, but we have changed it. Today is the day we can put this behind us and remove those criminal convictions from people’s lives”
    “This decision means that the Coalition has fulfilled the promise we made to these unfairly burdened convicted fishermen.”
    “I have been working for two years to right the wrongs that bad legislation had inflicted on these people.”
    “The decision will have the effect of altering convictions so they will be regarded as ‘spent convictions.’ This decision will effectively overturn the convictions and will apply to any amateur or professional fishermen who has a criminal conviction where the fine was $5000 or less.”
    “The issue arose from a 2006 decision when the former Coalition Government acted to implement a fairer infringement notice system where those caught in green zones were still to be issued a fine, but would not necessarily receive the ongoing burden of a criminal record against their name.”
    “However, this left the 324 fishers in a kind of ‘limbo’ where they had already been charged under the old system, and consequently had a criminal record documented.”
    “Before the election I received advice from Prime Minister Howard’s office that they had identified a possible legislative solution to the problem. I had brought the convicted fishers to the brink of a pardon, but unfortunately the election got in the way of justice officials taking action.”
    “Those convicted included grandfathers who went fishing with their grandchildren and were given a criminal record because they didn’t have GPS or proper charts.”
    “This will bring an end to this sorry saga.”
    ENDS

KC

Stike a blow. We did actually make a difference

Re: & so, it's finally over

One step at a time. Excellent news

Megga huge feather in all those who forced this to happen, especially the active members of the AFLP who without it could never have been achieved in any make shape or form. Also the pollies who fought so hard.

I had simply given up believing that basic justice even remotely was possible in this country since what it as become.

Garrett must have just about choked finalising something so decent.

Again just great news although nothing can fully right these wrongs.

cheers fnq

i agree well done.this great country is going to the dogs you can be convicted of just about anything now,but this ones at least stripped from the agenda.any kids who can reach my age(nearly 50)without some sought of conviction in this over governed country will indeed be a rarity,how bloody sad is that.
    regards john from the nanny state ,qld

Great news. For once I feel that the effort taken to write to politicians has been justified. Wll done those who have persisted in pursuing this issue, you know who you are.

Plastico

those with convictions still have to wait another 2 months yet. The Govt is taking its sweet ass time to proclaim the new legislation, if this doesn't show the contempt the Govt has or the fishing Population I don't know what does.

Bring on Anarchy i say

The ball is rolling...let's hope for momentum! Great result.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    those with convictions still have to wait another 2 months yet. The Govt is taking its sweet ass time to proclaim the new legislation, if this doesn't show the contempt the Govt has or the fishing Population I don't know what does.

Bring on Anarchy i say
    Yes agreed Scott, they should get their fingers out as it should have been sorted by now. Some good work there by Sen Boswell but lets remember the coalition did have 2 years to fix it themselves as well. With control of both houses of parliament at the time it would have been an easy fix for the Colalition if it was a priority for them. But with luck it will be settled soon, I'm glad for the rec anglers involved.

I also recon Garry Fooks needs a big pat on the back for his efforts.

Cheers
    Mike

TX KC,

Many people from Senators to once a year fishos participated in efforts to right this wrong.

Agreed, Gary Fooks has been a pillar of strength and conviction as was KC and has band of merry men in the north of our State.

Many Ausfishers assisted with signatures on petitions and submissions, letters to ministers and pollies etc.

Other senators like, Barnaby, Niel, Ian and Nick... ( you know who they are ) also put in efforts for this.

People power has had a win, albeit taken far too long.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here