Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new species

new species

got hassled by some mates to head out today..
    few phone calls and organised the day off work from the old man, to suck up the good weather as this weekend looks @#$^ house..

jagged 3 new species taken from the crew of 4
    awesome bag of fish as well.. kings parrot reefies snapper shark mackrel small spanish moses.. cheers boys

quite a few sharks about at the moment as well
    great day out

first nanni

first snapper

first shark mackrel

one of the 1000's of grey nurse shaks around

Re: new species

Great photos koko, looks like good jack country where your standing ,around those boats ,wall and pontoons ,do you have a go at them with a rod ?

haha.. no jacks in the canals... that i know of... few muddies (unsure on how healthy they are to eat) they feed on all the fish frames... and lots of well fed bream that get the left overs every day

I dont particually like line fishing.
    1) im very bad at it
    2) i find it boring cos i never catch anything
    3) Diving its self is very enjoyable I spend half the time diving around with just a camera enjoying the sea life..

The stuff we see is just amazing.. large schools of rays, thousands of bat fish
    golden trevalley's smashing bait.. spanish mackrel's darting everywhere, large cod and gropers. the elusive perlies and snapper in the deep water
    saw 5 shark species yesterday which is pretty good day out. there were some very agressive schools of bronzies swimming around

its all in a days diving that would be missed if sitting in a boat with a rod!

That's a bloody nice Moses there kokomo!
    Keep them bronzies up there please, although we would put up with them for some of that awesome viz you guys have atm!
    Great catch mate, we're off for a spear tomoz, like to see a couple of them snapper, they have been fairly thick in close so here's hoping...
    Thanks for the post mate, great pics and yarn, as always.
    Cheers.

got that moses in a very secret spot. a bit of reef about the size of a car, I have this little mark that Im just waiting to produce something special praying for a cobia or something along those lines.. it would be totally untouched..

Did a 1:30min dive in almost 25m's and it kind of sucks going all that way for nothing so plugged that moses just before coming up.. dive buddies were laughing

they totally shut me up on the next bomb when he shot the nani.

this was the dive that got the moses

What's a King Parrot? Do you mean a Blue-Barred Orange Parrot?

As a fat old man flat out doing 20 seconds in 8 metres, that's an awesome dive kokomo!
    Stay safe, cheers.

Yeh man, 1:30 is outstanding!
    What style of training do you do to achieve these types of bottom times, other than underwater pool laps? I'm maxxing out at between 20-30 seconds in shallower water and would love to try to bump that up.

Mate....pleeeeease there can't be 1000's of grey nurse sharks about at the moment....because those in the know say there are as few as 500 left on the entire East coast , thats one of the main reasons we have these new marine parks popping up

http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bi...taxon_id=68751

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    Mate....pleeeeease there can't be 1000's of grey nurse sharks about at the moment....because those in the know say there are as few as 500 left on the entire East coast , thats one of the main reasons we have these new marine parks popping up

http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bi...taxon_id=68751

my comment was in spite...

those in the know that all the grey nurse 'science' is very very poorly done. those in the know know that there are 1000's... I have heard it on very good authority that the 'scientists' are offically about to increase the estimate size of the population.. this is good news for all of us

this year I have seen them on every single dive.. without fail from shell harbour, sydney heads, coffs, boat rock, shag rock, flat fock, cherubs, smiths, flinders, hutchies

Figured that mate, as was mine...rkn they should have a tongue in cheek smilie face for these sort of comments,.....

Grey nurse shark was one of the main reasons put forward for the Byron Marine Park,..... dodgey

What about the newly proposed Marine park in the Evans area? Another example of the over-represented NSW Greens flexing their muscles!

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    Yeh man, 1:30 is outstanding!
    What style of training do you do to achieve these types of bottom times, other than underwater pool laps? I'm maxxing out at between 20-30 seconds in shallower water and would love to try to bump that up.

never train in a pool alone... its to risky..

90% of my training i do on land.. I would do 3-5 sessions a week of just static tables or apena walking (holding your breath and walking)

what ever you do make sure you do it safely and with a buddy.

check out Deeper Blue forums