Thread: Green Zone Crabbing

Green Zone Crabbing

How would you be if your crabpot drifted/was dragged by a turtle or boat into a green zone?

In other words nowhere near where it was set previously.

Your name and address is on the pot and it is now in the G/Z.

By some chance you find the errant pot and recover same, with out any intention of continuing to crab in that area.

Or you may not find it, remember all your details are on the pot.

Where do you stand with the authorities?

Have fun Haji-Baba

Re: Green Zone Crabbing

your allowed to fish 1m outside the greenzone..

if they catch you fishing 1m inside the zone pay up..

i suggest you should just pay the fine and get on with it

Personally I wouldn't be setting my crab pots anywhere near a green zone.

It so happens I set four pots at least 1 mile away from a green zone.

Next morning one was missing, after two long searches that morning and afternoon I still have not found the missing pot.

I am sure it did not drift away as where I set them there is little or no current.

That only leaves theft or draged away or broken/cut rope.

Three were still exactly where I set them late on the evening before.

None had any weed attached to the float ropes.

Therefore I am fairly sure that it did not drift.

The question still remains, where is it now and how do i know it is not in the adjacent green zone?

If some one stole it, run over the rope/float, ok. but if by chance it was relocated by a turtle or something else where do I stand.

I have no proof that the pot was set legally but some how finished up in a G/Z.

Could be tricky.

As we all know pots do drift away and could finish up anywhere.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

I hope a turtle has dragged your pot over a mile and then dropped it in a green zone. Then there could be 2 cold & wet EPA officers spending Farther's Day sitting in the mangroves and getting bitten from head to toe by sand-flys while they stare through binoculars for hours at your crab pot float.
    Sort of warms the heart doesn't it

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Personally I wouldn't be setting my crab pots anywhere near a green zone.
    I just dont agree with this logic... basically the green zones are larger

you are allowed to fish 1m ouside them.. so why not.. it just comes with a bit of risk

Quote Originally Posted by kokomo View Post
    I just dont agree with this logic... basically the green zones are larger

you are allowed to fish 1m ouside them.. so why not.. it just comes with a bit of risk
    The reason I said I wouldn't be setting my crab pots anywhere near a Green Zone is because my most productive spots are no where near any Green Zones.
    Is that logical?

Hey haja i have seen the marine parks and wildlife lift pots that had been placed in a green zone and move them outside the zone and drop them back in if there is only 1 pot in the zone then you may be able to convince them that it was moved or drifted there and if you released any crabs found in said pot unharmed at the time you may be ok

i asked the queston 1 day about if you are fishing in the zone and they catch you they told me if they thought you were there by accident then they would give you a talk ect and let you go but if they thought you were targeting the green zone on purpose then they would book you ie: 4 pots in the zone and anchored up fishing and live in the area ect

Yes Robers

I totally agree. If you try to do the right thing I think you will survive.

My pot went missing and despite a dilligent search at high and low tide didn't find a thing.

My thoughts then were that another boat had cut the line and in the shallow water at low tide the remaining rope should have floated.

Or I would be able to see the pot.

Not so.

My next thoughts led me to believe that it had been taken or dragged away.

Because i was only one mile from a green zone I wondred if it had ended up there how would I stand.

All my details were on the pot.

Anyway it seems to be gone but what annoys me most, it was one of my best North Queensland pots.

Made to order.

I now have only three left.

Have Fun Haji-Baba.

I can see a very good case for recording the location of your pots in a log book.

I record the drop points (gps) of my pots so that I can more easily find them.

Then you have some information to plead upon.

then there are some courses of action that me are logical... if you find your pot.

1. ... now you are taking your chances and this is only my thaught..........proceed into the green zone and immediately and in clear view turf what is in the pot straight over the side..........hold the pot up to show it is empty........ and proceed out of the green zone.

2....if you locate your pot in a green zone, ring the EPA ( do they answer after hours?)......explain the situation including the GPS mark where the pot was dropped and ask their advice...........

3. If you can manage to find a governement official........dpi, fisheries, police ( good luck)......get them to empty and remove the pot.

4. get someone on another boat to act as a witness.

It certainly isn't an issue that has been thaught about.

Even with the DPI rules on crabbing.....where do you stand on escaped pots.....if you have 4 pots out and 2 additional pots of yours are found by the DPI that were lost.......

At least if you have them recorded as lost you have something to plead upon.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Yes Old Boot,

Just the considered comment I was looking for.

It is something I never would have worried about until my pot went missing.

I am sure that if you try to do the right thing and release the catch in the pot you would be ok.

Just needs to be taken care of carefully.

The G.P.S. comment is relevant as that is what I do now but only in very open water.

I haven't been in the habit of crabbing around Bribie for many years as I make the most of it when i am up north.

I really don't think the Fishing Inspectors are as autocratic as some people have made out and any reasonable person/story will usually be considered at the time.

Have Fun Haji-Baba