Thread: Can you eat stargazer???

Can you eat stargazer???

My father inlaw caught a stargazer up at di off the beach and asked me if you could eat it ??? Has anyone eaten one or know if you can???

Re: Can you eat stargazer???

very good chewing

Stargazer is one of the best - better than Barramundi in my opinion but watch the bile. Even if intending to fillet and skin it might be best to very carefully slit open the gut without breaking the bile and remove it. Some Stargazers have a very large bright green bile and and if allowed to taint the flesh you get a whole new taste experience. Yuck!

I am not a huge fan but in many restaurants, Monk Fish = Big Dollar Meal.

Nick

i caught 1 of these in the maroochy river must have been around the 40cm threw it back as i didnt know what it was(then found it in the bible)
    will be keeping (eating) the next one.

pretty ugly looking fish, but readily available in fish markets, they are OK to eat, as long as don't remember what they looked like when you caught them. OH, and I reckon there is a million things better than bland old Barra to eat!

Excellent eating but be very wary of any caught near Platypus Bay as they are highly prone to ciguatera poisoning. A good friend poisoned his whole family from one 2kg stargazer caught at Inskip Point whilst waiting for the barge about 25 yrs ago, took about a year to come right afterwards.
    Jack.

Apparently good eating, caught one on a plastic fishing for flatties a little while back, felt so sorry for the poor ugly bastard i put him back, but now i come to think of it he did have some solid fillets on him.

My old man caught one of these a couple of years ago and I was supprised how good it was on the chew. Ugly looking thing though