Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spanish Mackerel Rigs

Re: Spanish Mackerel Rigs

I use 60lb single strand. no problems
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Hey mate
    I use 80lb braid straight to a 4 x hook 12/0 ribbin fish set up (all good)
    Secondly when anchored up, 1 x hook 12/0 through the back of a fusalir reef fish (purple / yellow tail)

They cant resist !

Lynchy

I've only caught a few spaniards so I'm no expert but I've only landed one without wire and that was on a bottom bashing rig (lucky). Whenever I've been told to use mono, I've lost the fish and the lure. I've landed 6ft sharks on the same mono but not the spaniards. I also use 80lb leader tied to 50lb braid, then a small swivel, then 30cm 40-60lb single strand tied directly to the lure or hook eyelet. Have lost fish to swivel clips etc. The more I learn from these clever Ausfishers above, the more fish I catch.

Cheers
    dave

For trolling try 1.5m of 50lb mono tied to a 150mm or longer lure. Try a Qantas coloured RMG 150 Crazy Deep.
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

skipalong, you must have learnt to fish for macks at the same school as me. All sounds very familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman View Post
    Wolfies are dynamite for Spaniards. A couple of times I've been smashed next to the prop trying to get the float to drift away. NEVER had a session where one has been untouched.
    Damn straight. Just got back from my trip up north. Didn't catch my Spaniard but got a 102cm Barra instead. I caught half a dozen Wolfies. Both times I trolled one I got a hook up, unfortunately both times it was a shark (Unfortunately not a big shark as I was fishing from a Kayak). I guess no Spannies around at the time. So I kept the rest for later.

I lost 4 good fish that I just couldn't stop. Next time I'll use a shorter rod with less curve and a big over head reel instead of the 4500 Baitrunners, in the chance of stopping one.

yerh mate spaniards arnt all the fast, only there first screamer run, wouldnt be suprised if they were some bigger sharks hehe would have been fun from a yak mate, but keep persisting and you will be rewards with some quality fish

justin