Thread: Reef Combo Help

Reef Combo Help

I'm wanting a good reef combo or rod and reel for reefies of wooli or further out when i sus out the chart and was looking at the starlo stix 701 snapper what fish is this rod capable of holding,Ive always had cheap brand rods and of course they break,so getting a new old boat so need a new outfit.ive seen some vids of this rod and man they were big snapps ,any advice will be great .

Cheers Rob

Re: Reef Combo Help

Rob, depends on how much you want to spend. I have a couple of Penn 330 GTI combos spooled with 50lb mono on the Penn Mariner 24kg rods from the not so trusty BCF. Now before all you readers scoff and shoot me down, for a $150 combo, they have done everything I have asked of them and more. Big Fingermark and GT off Hinchinbrook, red reefies and also trolled up a few nice mackerel. Yes there are better out there, but as for value for money they do the trick for me.

However, as I am waiting for a new boat as well, I have shouted myself some new tackle for the reef and trolling. I did a bit of homework and came home with two Daiwa Saltist 40 overheads teamed up with some UglyStik Bluewater 24kg rods, all spooled up with 50lb mono for about $400 each. I stick to mono as I fish with the kids and don't trust them not to get tangled in braid which could hav disaterous consequences.

I know this probably doesn't help too much, but these are a couple of options...

Wal

Re: Reef Combo Help

Thanks wal i ended up going with $89.00 Ugly Stik boat fishing rod - 2 piece 6'6" boat rod medium to heavy bottom bashing and a Okuma Avenger 80a Fishing Ree $95.00 l got a boat now so of to wooli on sat to try it out cheers for your help.