View Poll Results: Based on the NSW Model - Would you be in favour of a General Fishing Licence ?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - If implemented on the NSW Model

84 41.58%
  • No - I am Happy with the current Qld Fisheries management

100 49.50%
  • I will post my Alternative Below

18 8.91%
Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Forget the $30 a year..that is nothing...based proportionally (sp) the fee would start at about $300 per annum. Still want a license?
    Hi Pinhead,

Great to see you have not lost any of your 'Anti Govt' venom on this subject over the years however the $300 a year is a ridiculous figure conjured up to exagerate your position...and you know it.

Sure, if you work on 'Pinhead Maths 101' the figure could be stretched to somewhere near the $300 however you base this entirely on coastline length, population and creative accounting. You conveniently neglect to consider the vast length of coastline from Cairns to the Northern Territory populated by relatively few that would significantly impact your equation.

I am no expert however believe a figure somewhere in the vicinity of the $30 would be acceptable to the average person and a starting point for the debate.

Regards Cameron.

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

you don't seem to get it Scott:
    This Govt has wasted money everywhere with bugger all to show for it. What makes you think they would leave money in a trust fund? They make the laws and they can change the laws.
    A buy back of licenses..what a joke...please have a look at what is happening in Moreton bay in this regard.

Once again..how much income did the NSW system get from licenses only in 2007?

it appears you are very trusting of this current Govt...I know I am not.

I would be happy with the way Qld fisheries were managed if:
    1. Everyone has to abide by the same size and bag limits.
    2. Any closures are based on actual research and results on the specific areas not on so called worlds best research and guesswork.

This idea that by paying a fee we then become stakeholders in the fisheries is ludicrous. We are all stakeholers now..whether you fish or not..all citizens own it now.

With your proposed model who would control these trust funds? Who would select the so called experts to be on these boards? What would constitute an "expert" to be able to be part of these boards? Would the "stakeholders" get a vote for them or would they be appointed by some faceless beaucracy?

I really don't need any more jobs for the boys thanks...and if I become a "stakeholder" by paying a fee would I have access to these boards to voice my concerns. or do we just have to follow along and abide by what they decide. Just more rules and regualtions in our lives..as if there are not enough already.

I think you would need to start at a minimum of $100 per annum for any fee to have any benefit in Qld.
    PinHead

So your happy with the way Queensland fisheries are current managed ?

Or your proposal on how it can REALISTICALLY be improved is ?

Regards Scotto

Forget the $30 a year..that is nothing...based proportionally (sp) the fee would start at about $300 per annum. Still want a license?
    Based on your in depth discussion with the power to be I take it

Lets stick with THE FACTS & Original Proposal crew

Regards Scotto

how about you provide some facts then Scott..i have asked many questions yet you have provided no answers.

Okay Poseidon..let's have the coastline length...that should bring us back to about $150 per annum.

anti Govt venom..you better believe it..they are corrupt and incompetent.

I would be happy Scott if their actions have been based on true scientific research .

If you think $30 a year from every fishos pocket would achieve much I suggest you think again...and don't use NSW as a model..more people and smaller area...not comparable.

Scott..if you feel so strongly about wanting a rec fishing license then write to your local MLA and suggest it to him/her. See what response you get from him/her.

two differnt states with 2 totally different fishery management regimes and climes, NSW for years had died in the wool and outspoken pro commercial fisher ministers.
    QLD by contrast has had pro environmental extremist ministers.

When drawing a line and placing fully sustainable fishery's management in the centre of that line each state was at opposite ends in culture...still as always in NSW independent reviews place fish stocks as doing well.

Still no one outside of the magic of paying money can give one advantage and still ignores all the proven disadvantages...why??, we are already stake holders, financial stake holders......where is the legislation offering this to any citizen as a higher marquee? you will not find it, where is the benefit in powering up fishery's and giving more to their mates while as Anglers having no higher say in Angling management??

Lots of magic flying around but nothing solid becoming yet.

Want to be a stakeholder without using the word as a con job??, pay the licence into a full corporation (not for profit NGO) with all of the gross lawful rights that befits them, before doing this gain under legislation the right for the NGO to be managed toward Anglers basic rights and access, regulations etc fisherys still involved but they must stay behind within reasons all moves and now actually present scientific argument against the NGOs (Anglers) reasoning not just re-word their personal shaft them all extremist beliefs or as seen recently with snapper and the world wide roving mercenary for hire computer program that allows FOR A FEE anyone to drive their square pegs into it's round holes .......relegate fishery's environmental anti Angling Zealotry to second string and watch how fast fishery backs away from that! loss of absolute control, less money, serious harm done to the card holding environmental Zealots personal aspirations inside department.

An angling licence with basic rights, lawful protection and fair and proper control over their Angling future?? yeah right what planet is that on.

QLD fisherys/government departments cannot even call us by our proper name without choking on their tea and biscuits, they continue collectively to lump us into fishing so as to keep the tar and feathers happening. How many here do not call us as Anglers first? Freudian in the extreme.

Still awaiting one singe advantage that is not shrouded in smoke and mirrors?

Curiously also what will become of to the precautionary principle legislation and the legislated definition of 'fishing' under this special licence??? fishery's culture/corruption?, not to mention present multi disciplinary ruling government culture and corruption. Sooooo many state Angling reforms needed across departments that money (a licence) CANNOT achieve but simply cover deeper under more useless ink.

Still trying very hard to view any real world advantage , change for changes sake as seen a hundred times under enforced regulation rarely succeeds outside of a propaganda coo to initially fool the great unwashed, then more tougher punitive regulation to bandade yet again.

QLD fisherys dropping their self serving firewall culture against the common Angler be a better first step.

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post
    Based on your in depth discussion with the power to be I take it

Lets stick with THE FACTS & Original Proposal crew

Regards Scotto
    It does not sound to me that he is the one in bed with them.
    Why is a fee needed for the government to run it better?
    Maybe the wise Government should just privitise the fishery straight off and then it could be run better still, seems to work better that way with everything else.

Some food for thought:

NSW scheme from their 2007-2008 figures:
    Total available - $8.4 million dollars.
    The total available was made up of allocations from the trust and amounts carried forward from the previous year.

Now NSW has a population of approx 7.04 million people.
    Qld has a population of approx. 4.34 million people.

So..the NSW fishing fee equates to approx 84 cents per head of population
    Then we use that figure for the Qld population and we have a total of $3.65 million available...less than half what NSW has.

NSW has a total coastline (including islands) of 2137 kilometres.
    Qld has a total coastline (including islands) of 13347 kilometres.

NSW fees then equate to $3930.74 per kilometre of coastline
    Qlds approximated fees would equate to only $273.47 per kilometre of coastline.

Now how big would a license fee have to be to equal NSW's? We would have to pay $1.93 for every person in the state as opposed to NSW's 84 cents and that would still only give us $629.00 per kilometre of coastline.

(This is based on the figures from the summaries of NSW DPI)

( I think my maths is correct but it is Saturday night and I should be away fishing)
    Yeh pinhead the math is wrong based on the figures you have put in unless you have another figure other than the $8.4 milllion. I am guessing you divided NSW rev by population then multiplied by it the Qld population. If so when Qlds popualtion is over half of NSWs how did your end figure come out less then half of the NSW rev figure. Needs a rework that one i think. Also if you then take into account that Qld has a higher percentage of rec fishers per capita than NSW it will boost the figure again. After that you could add in the extra revenue that Qld would collect as it attracts a higher amount of tourist based fishing than NSW. Getting an acurate estimate of fees would have to include these points. Also why does it have to equal the NSW figure anyway and why does it have to be broken down to a dollar figure per Km of coastline ? are you wanting boat ramps etc where people dont live or fish. Much of the Qld coastline is lightly fished or even not fished, another large percentage falls under native title which is unfished by recs or only very lightly with consent of the native land owners therefore not under threat and in need of improving. Its not about dollars per km of coastline is it, its about providing benifits for rec fishers in the areas that are most highly fished and for improving areas of rec fishing where there is going to be the most benefit.

Anyway check the math.

read this Chris: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...6-3102,00.html

sell your license..then buy one at a cut price because it was not being used and back fishing you with a pocketful of cash.
    The Govt could not even get this right and people want them to implement a rec license scheme..haha
    I read about it a while ago mate, but I'll read it again th renew the venom. I not sure why you directed it at me though you are preching to the converted. I am vehemently opposed to a gov't department in charge of this. I agree 100% that they are too incompetent to manage such a thing because there is no accountability in QLD gov't we have seen this by labor getting re-elected.

An NGO like Eco on the other hand could be different. Setting up 5-10-15 year plans to be voted on by the members/stake holders and having the elected comitttees keep us up to date and informed will be requirement to remaining elected to the board.

FNQ, as time goes on your writing gets harder and harder to read. It's the fishing equiv of reading Shakespeare in grade5. Love your zealotous oposition to the zealots though.

Cheers chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post
    PinHead

So your happy with the way Queensland fisheries are current managed ?

Or your proposal on how it can REALISTICALLY be improved is ?

Regards Scotto
    The problem is that we now have two state government departments managing the fisheries, one that is capable, one that is based on the green vote. The one that is based on the green vote got the support from sunfish. Explain to me how two seperate departments who work completely independantly from each other can effectively manage a fishery. To further complicate issue up north we not only have two state based departments, but a federal one as well. Its a joke. How do you think this mess of governemnt departments can deal with a licence?

The solution is simple, one department and one voice for all groups...

Yeah that is true Chris, Today I cannot be bothered, have learnt it's a total waste of time countering the moderates dumb us all down argument on their home turf and terms, better to cut to the chase of what they are are most often hiding or working hard to remain unsaid.

Sometimes it takes a few posts to uncover the hidden zealot like content behind that moderate post, sometimes it can be nothing more than gullible innocence.

Just read it slower to allow a fuller comprehension, it's a public forum so not saying it will then make any more sense or even needs to

cheers fnq

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Sounds like the NSW licence has been a dazzliing success with a fishery that is astounding and facilities to match.Congratulations.Lets all roll over and take one for the team QLD.I would like to know how many Forums this debate has been posted on and if any information this post has created is being utilised for any other purpose.Am i paranoid or not,but these days nothing surprises me.Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

I voted NO

Quote Originally Posted by bigjimg View Post
    Sounds like the NSW licence has been a dazzliing success with a fishery that is astounding and facilities to match.Congratulations.Lets all roll over and take one for the team QLD.I would like to know how many Forums this debate has been posted on and if any information this post has created is being utilised for any other purpose.Am i paranoid or not,but these days nothing surprises me.Jim
    I have no agenda - other than I am sick of seeing recreational anglers shafted continually !

As an exercise for my own interest I have posted this same poll on the following two web sites & It is interesting to see the different view points :-

* fishntales.com

* Saltwater Fly Fishing Aud

What I am really interested in is NOT the issue of do we want a license or not - BUT rather are we all currently happy with the current system for recreational fisheries management in Qld ?

Otherwise - How can it be managed better ?

"I" personally do not see the Qld government providing No-Strings-Attached funding to improve the quality of recreational angling in our state ?

So how do we raise enough capital & support to manage our fisheries better & possible buy out commercial effort from specific key recreational fishing area's in the aim of creating recreational fishing havens ( RFH's ) ?

I was involved in the NSW system from the beginning and owned a tackle store for 17 years - I sat on the head advisory council in NSW ( ACORF ) for over 10 of those years. I have heard ALL of these objections before - AND seen what can be done if a general recreational angling licence is implamented with the same frame work as NSW.

While not perfect it IS a LOT better than what we currently have in QLD currently & I believe it is not a matter of IF - BUT WHEN a license is imposed on us !

So IF we had a choice - wouldn't it be great to have the majority of control over how it is implemented & run ?

The first step is to get the wider angling community to discuss th topic & then gain support for a system that WE CAN have a say in - OR we can stick our heads in the sand & complain about all the reasons why the governement won't do it ?????

Again - this is only a POLL to guage opionion :-

Yes - If implemented on the NSW Model

No - I am Happy with the current Qld Fisheries management

I will post my Alternative Below

Regards Scotto
    Last edited by Scott Mitchell; 07-09-2009 at 07:12 AM.

Scott..it would not make a cracker of difference with this mob if there is a license or not..you will still get shafted..end of story..ask anyone who deals with the BSA..complete waste of money.

Scott..it would not make a cracker of difference with this mob if there is a license or not..you will still get shafted..end of story..ask anyone who deals with the BSA..complete waste of money.
    With that sort of attitude Pinhead - that is exactly what will happen

It can't be done , It can't be done, It can't be done - Hey look it didn't happen

Who would have thought !

Regards Scotto