View Poll Results: Based on the NSW Model - Would you be in favour of a General Fishing Licence ?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - If implemented on the NSW Model

84 41.58%
  • No - I am Happy with the current Qld Fisheries management

100 49.50%
  • I will post my Alternative Below

18 8.91%
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post
    Sunfish has a great new Chairman in Barry Pollock at present & I believe we NEED to support Sunfish - before we head off with "another" splinter group that divides our numbers again.

Regards Scotto
    I have no faith in Sunfish after the Morteton Bay saga, they are funded by Government funds hence they are puppets

Splinter groups like ECOfishers QLD stand up for the recreational angler without political flavour, it's an orginisation formed by and for recreational anglers.

Are we a threat ?

Damo

PS: divided we fail .. Yes

ECOfishers QLD and ECOfishers NSW are working together ..... Unity !

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Hasn't happened in NSW as yet - because it is LAW & LEGISLATED !

Let's stick to the facts - Scotto
    sorry Scott..you are niaive..who makes the Laws? a law is only a law after the legislation has passed.

Answer..the Govt makes the laws...who has the power to change the laws..the Govt.

Sunfish..Govt flunkies..hardly said BOO about the green zones.

Scott..where can I see the latest NSW annual financial report..from the license fees?

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

I just learned there are rules for us and some other rule for select others in the charter industry.A licence for us as well you have to be kidding.Sorry if i sound a bit cynnical but these buffoons are running around in government makiing stupid decisions passing rediculous laws while we pay their outlandish salaries.And who knows where the money will end up.I for one have had a gutfull of fees,permits,bullshit water restrictions,speeding cameras,potholes and just about everything else this govt has put out.Blah Blah Blah.Bloody heck that feels better.NO FISHING LICENCE RUN BY THESE CLOWNS.Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

some food for thought:

NSW scheme from their 2007-2008 figures:
    Total available - $8.4 million dollars.
    The total available was made up of allocations from the trust and amounts carried forward from the previous year.

Now NSW has a population of approx 7.04 million people.
    Qld has a population of approx. 4.34 million people.

So..the NSW fishing fee equates to approx 84 cents per head of population
    Then we use that figure for the Qld population and we have a total of $3.65 million available...less than half what NSW has.

NSW has a total coastline (including islands) of 2137 kilometres.
    Qld has a total coastline (including islands) of 13347 kilometres.

NSW fees then equate to $3930.74 per kilometre of coastline
    Qlds approximated fees would equate to only $273.47 per kilometre of coastline.

Now how big would a license fee have to be to equal NSW's? We would have to pay $1.93 for every person in the state as opposed to NSW's 84 cents and that would still only give us $629.00 per kilometre of coastline.

(This is based on the figures from the summaries of NSW DPI)

( I think my maths is correct but it is Saturday night and I should be away fishing)

PH, if those numbers are right, the amount of money in NSW trust accounts is a miniscule amount and if that is all that is needed to cause real change then it goes to show what a woeful job government agencies are doing; assuming the NSW rec fishing scene is actually improving..
    I wonder how much the increase in this year's rego will add to Qld Govt coffers : ..that might actually be an amount to make real change. I am not whingeing about money. I can afford it at present.
    I just DON'T TRUST GOVERNMENT. I wonder how cheap rego was when it was first introduced.
    Does anyone know what percentage od SIP fees is returned to impoundment infrastructure and fish stocking?

Blusta..the only figures I could find was from a trust fund report showing total amounts avaialble so i would presume this includes the license fees etc.
    http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass...rt-2007-08.pdf

even if that is incorrect my point is that..with a much smaller population and a much larger coastline there is no way known we could have a system whereby we pay the same as NSW and be able to achieve much at all.
    If the license fee is too high the the once or twice a year mums and dads will not take their kids fishing at all..just leave them home to play on the playstation etc

The biggest problem that I see is that the government act as our rulers, rather than acting as a part of the machine.

What role does a governor have in an engine - to prevent the engin from destroying itself by running faster than it is safe to do so - Management.

What really controls the engine is the throttle.

Apparently the government is trying to throttle the lot of us...

and the machine is spluttering because the choke is on.

My vote is no to licenses - unless there is full accounting for the funds, and that those funds are fully used in the management/improvement of the fisheries and related resources.

The management committees should actually be made up from key recreational anglers across the state in specific zones

But On the Sunfish Note :-
    Divided we fall - And all we need now is another fragment group

To Quote Warren Steptoe from his Sunshine Connection column in Modern Fishing Jan 09'

Like other fishing "umbrella" organisations in this country. Sun fish hasn't been doing too well lately. Among rank & file people who fish, they lack credibility , and criticism that they're not making an effective stand against various ills assaulting recreational fishing is common.

What ever you think about them though . doing away with Sunfish and starting over is probably not the best way to gain effective advocacy for recreational fishing. It has taken a long time and a lot of effort by sincere people to get Sunfish to where it is today and to set up an alternative is almost unthinkable.Being realistic , it's just not going to happen in today's world. Not in any kind of short term anyway. END quote

Sunfish has a great new Chairman in Barry Pollock at present & I believe we NEED to support Sunfish - before we head off with "another" splinter group that divides our numbers again.

Until such time as our advocacy body has enough No-Strings-Attached funding to operate effectively - how it is , is how it's going to stay !!!!!

Regards Scotto
    Sounds like you are somehow involved with Sunfish?? You are the first person I have heard say such a thing. Problem with Sunfish is that damage has been done and I doubt they will ever regain credibility, certainly not in my eyes anyway.

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Also what happens to those of us that pay to be in a club.And have the benefit of the facilities that they provide us with because of the fee we pay.Would we get a discount on our licence fee.I think not.We're better off to dig a canal to our driveway and put in a ramp with all the trimmings.We already pay premium rego's for our rigs so where is that money going.The list is endless.Fishing Licence just shut up.Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Talk about jumping the gun, once a fishing licence is introduced it will be game over just as it is in NSW, the fishery's will forever have a non democratic stranglehold on Angling. Voices of dissent are fire walled, nothing changed, fishers now deal with even more lockout zones and more to come + casual and grass roots the 70% anglers voices are entirely dismissed.

Ever since the NSW fishing licence (licences are no higher than a privileged bestowed to those who need controlling) introduction.

Nothing has been accomplished (definition of) with the licence that was not simply and easily possible without......nothing (definition of).

The political will is not evident from government until they see a monetary and personal bank account return or a democratic imperative, why do we need to bribe them with power further statutory control and money to achieve basic treatment.

All financial stake holders in NSW had large areas of once free (as in freedom) areas removed completely from their pastime.

Buyouts using Anglers money occurred.....why? because fishery management was for so long so fully incompetent that they needed an ignorant patsy to bail them out.
    QLD fishery has for a long time now been far over zealous siding with the extremist's in regulation choice as befits and parallels what the labor party on environment has become.

State government is happy to spend money to unjustifiably take away with QLD fishery's blessing hugely vast areas of fish able water without a licence (tax) requirement from any environmental extremist group in an effort to achieve or facilitate those aims.

Taxing a pastime that is healthy and socially responsible and has done no justifiable damage to the environment can never be justified at any rational level. nop matter what the twist of logic expressed.

What will happen as did happen is NSW was the committee got stacked, needs to go hat in hand to fishery for all ok's, is traded with and against. Pays to fund what is solely fishery responsibility.

Fishers who only fish plastics and will not eat there catch, have no one they think highly enough to give their catch to or will not on poor principle....get stacked onto committee's, as was the case in NSW on it's introduction. These type we hear from on ausfish every now and then, the fully blinkered but just like a mad aunt harmless in their self interested ramblings........until they land on a committee and can actively do lasting damage to what fishing was naturally and freely is. Just look at incoherently long and scientific strangled list of fishery bag and length limits in QLD, our godlike and appointed representatives did that with fishery's blessing/pushing...then look at those individuals placed, not elected to represent onto committee seats, individuals often repressing at best 2% of Anglers.

It get worse, those without free (as in freedom) personal stake int Angling get onto committees, people like business owners with a view to profit not Angling and get to vote on behalf of the only pure anglers out there...those that fish once a quarter or less on the spur of the moment with the kids for whiting of a jetty/shore closest to home on kmart rods with super thin mild steel hooks instead of telling the kids to just shut up and watch a DVD.... one here needs to look no further at what the elitist SIP did to the pure and most often the vocal proponents self interested low moral stuff everyone else justification of why that was ever ok.

Seriously we have gotta be smarter than this, why take a fascist's best offering as the only crumb available and seriously for what end?go into hock to save the government the fiscal responsibility......it's scary but not unexpected these days where inward looking self interested individuals run all of the games in town.

I ask for anyone to give just one +ve aspect of this tax that is not obtainable without it, stocks are good, participation is simple ATM, access sucks due to lockouts...will the licence change this? What will it actually do? outside of fuel the fishery machine and their zealot hangers on for funding?

Just one valued +ve outcome that couldn't be achieved otherwise?, QLD anglers face first and foremost problems outside of the scope of any fishing 'paid for privilege' (licence).

Thank god NSW did it first, one of the problem with it's non democratic introduction was there was nothing not already a balls up to compare it with, if NSW is even 50% of how good it can be or why they needed it, we simply do not want or need it.

cheers fnq

Having fished & seen the benefits of the NSW model for a number of years ...... I would be more than happy to see the same model adapted in Qld .
    ATM many might not see the benefit - as the population increases - you will. The buyout of commercial fishing licences has meant a boon to recreational anglers in the more populated areas ( & even the lesser so)
    if funds are funnelled into the fisheries - ie fish stocking & facilities - we can only see benefits ( The SIP scheme has been a resounding success in Qld) .
    OK there is a bit of a pain $30pa - but every visitor will be required to buy a licence ( Qld would have the highest level of visiting interstate & OS anglers) .

BRING IT ON & IMPROVE THE FISHERY

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

FNQ,

There is a positive mate, the things we want changed about how we are being treated as stake holders can possibly change. Right now what you are suggesting is that "we should just go get a better government to do it for us" unless I have read your text wrong.

Well unless you have been living under a rock the majority of stupid Queenslanders continue to vote these fools into power!!! The QLD labour gov't is a joke when it comes to RecAnglers I agree but thats what we have and if history is any guide it will not change until we do something to make it change..... the majority of the poulation isn't going to do it for us are they? Under these or similar terms we can get better outcomes no matter who is in government.

The thread starter is losing credability in even sugesting sunfish in any way shape or form as our voice. The second they publicly backed MBMP they were dead in the water. New Chairman or not they are shot and need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

If it was based on the nsw model and actually was given the tick I may be pursuaded. BUT and a big BUT is your only as good as your last win.

The only problem with this is how the fisherman has been done over in previous battles. How can we be expected to try something as a licence, then get an outcome in our favour. I feel something has to be done but the big question is what. We as a spieces are not getting what we pay for now,,, why?

Trust is the biggest hurdle we face, and anglers have #*&$ all of it.

I believe will will have a user pays system that's the way things are going no matter how much jumping up and down you do. Will it benefit us? Time will tell.

Dave
    Avast ye matey!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnm View Post
    Members of committees are government appointees or approved by the government.

How would you propose that the independent members be appointed.

Legislation can be changed very easly.

Not worried anout the $$ although expect increases if introduced.

Governmemt will shift as much of its current expenditure for research, inspectors etc to the fund so we would be unlikely to be better off. The cost of running the fund and the committee would also have to come out of the monies raised.

Lets stick to the ORIGINAL PROPOSAL

Would you suypport a reneral recreational angling license in Queensland IF IT WAS BASED ON THE NSW MODEL :-

1)ALL money raised goes into two transparent Trust accounts – One for Freshwater ( taking over from the current SIPS program – This would be kicked off with a minimum of the average funds raised under the current SIPS over the last 3 years as a starting guide for allocation ) Plus a New Saltwater Trust – where All remaining fund would be held. No funds can be spent without written approval from the management committees.

2) Administration costs to manage the program would be capped at 10% from License contributions – This employs government staff to administer & manage the program.

3) The 1st priority would be to establish a selection of Recreation Fishing havens ( RFH's ) throughout Queensland in Key recreational angling areas IE: Great Sandy Straights – where ALL commercial fishing would be brought out of the designated areas– with no exceptions.

4) All remaining funds would be managed by a selection of committees consisting of recreational anglers from ALL zones with-in the state IE – Freshwater Committee – Saltwater Committee & a Head Committee – consisting of recreational anglers with expertise with in their areas.

5) What are your thoughts on costs ie:-

3 Days = $6.00
    1 Month = $12.00
    1 Year = $30.00
    3 Years = $75.00

6) More back ground can be viewed @ http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/licence-fee

Let snot get bogged down in - what if's & I recons - Stick with the facts

It's a debate worth having - Scotto