View Poll Results: Based on the NSW Model - Would you be in favour of a General Fishing Licence ?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - If implemented on the NSW Model

84 41.58%
  • No - I am Happy with the current Qld Fisheries management

100 49.50%
  • I will post my Alternative Below

18 8.91%
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

I would like to dispute suggestions that we have to adopt a licence model before one is pushed on to us. Labor is the only party that would consider introducing one and I think the Qld government is well aware of how unpopular such a move would be. If we let em know the repercussions of shoving a licence on to us, they will probably be smart enough to stay away from it, at least this term when they are on the nose across the state. I reckon suggesting a licence is a done deal is just giving in. To me a licence is just another nail in the coffin of my personal freedom. Whether you like it or not, gun licences at least have a social imperitive. Fishing licences are all about revenue collecting and centralising the control of a resource. I will NEVER support having to pay to fish in my own creeks and rivers. Bugger em.

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

A lot of old hard heads on here with stubborn mindsets about how things should be. Tunnel vision is rife and the goggles are firmly in place.

'No' is the easy answer isn't it, but surely there must be a way to get better outcomes for recreational fishers in decisions affecting the fishery. A licence would be equivalent to 'buying' a stake in the fishery which we a not currently recognised as having, and consequently we would have more influence on management decisions.

Honestly, the way some of you are going on you would think you are broke. How much does a new outfit cost you? A single fishing trip out in the boat? A nominal figure of say $30 would be a drop in the ocean compared to what most of you already spend, so why does this bother you so much financially?

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    If we let em know the repercussions of shoving a licence on to us, they will probably be smart enough to stay away from it.
    You really were born yesterday weren't you
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    You really were born yesterday weren't you
    Actually Jeremy, I have spent quite a few years working as an electorate officer for an Australian Government Minister so I do know a little about how politics work. And I reiterate my "informed" opinion that the Qld Labor party is the only one that would look to introduce a licence, and that they are currently scared of doing anything that would lose them more votes. No need to be snippy, it's only my opinion, not right or wrong.

I think to persuade the Qld rec anglers there would have to be very open and independent committees, managers and information.

The current ( or funds from 2 - 5 years ago ) expenditure by the State gov has to be held in place and must rise with at least CPI. ( or pollie wage rise %'s )

Any increases in boat rego, trailer rego, boat licence fees or taxes imposed by the state government MUST be directed into the " Fishing Licence " trust fund.

Monies held in trust are not only for boat ramp improvements, pro licence by-backs, arti reefs, etc, but must be channeled into independent research and information collecting to further the sustainability of the fishery.

The current level of spending on recreational activities and infrastructure by the state government is appalling, in respect to the level of funds collected from rec anglers.

I repeat, recreational fishing is one of the largest economic resources the state and federal governments has, yet funds collected from this industry are diverted to many other areas.

What is needed is a strong representative voice. This voice must be politically independent and truely represent the recreational fishers of Queensland.

It is even thought that recreational fishing in qld or aust is a big enough industry to have it's own portfolio... food for thought there people !!!! WA has one .

As mentioned earlier, the current DPI&F appear to be doing their job in relation to providing a sustainable fishery, but with the interference from the EPA ( who hold a stronger position within government ) our fishery is being strangled by the extreme green side of politics.

I have said earlier, that Scott's post is important and also has merit, as seen in NSW, but I too feel that Qld is different. What makes us different.

Well, the GBRMPA zoning off central to far nth qld for a start.

Scott's question is what are our thoughts, and a lot of good replies, for and against.

My retorical question would be... what exactly would the trust fund spend the money on ?

I mean, there was the multi million dollar payouts in NQ from general revenue, there were the commercial licence buy backs from Pumistone passage, Fraser Island, Moreton and Straddie, Hervey Bay ring netters, MBMP zoning buy backs and much much ,more. All this from general revenue, so why the licence?

I will admit that the GBRMPA zoning buy backs cost the fed gov many times what they expected and the state MBMP buy back was a disaster and a complete WOFTAM !!!!! It is not the money in general, but HOW it is spent and WHERE.... that's the current problem I see.

Can anyone imagine what the 220 million dollars spent in the GBRMPA zoning debacle could have bought in the way of independent scientific research ?

I understand there is a need for a commercial fishery, but at what expense ?

The NT are going gangbusters with tourism based recreational fishing. I would like to see Queensland remove their crown, but this can only happen with a truly transparent government, sensible policy, stakeholder regional management, independent trust fund managers and a concerted effort by the vast majority of recreational anglers to do what they can to provide a sustainable fishery for the future.

What is also needed is people like Scott, who has the drive and passion to do something about what he loves to do and wants to continue to do. We have to harness recreational anglers into a force that will see Queenslands recreational fishing future, secure and sustainable .

All IMO…….

Cheers Phill

As per a moderator, please try to not get personal, simply offer opinions, facts and thoughts……

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by honda900 View Post
    Scott,

If you think that the introduction of a licence in any way shape or form will have any impact on your "rights" you are kidding yourself.

Have a look at what is proposed for NSW where they have licensing.

Wake up, the government is only looking to make more money on the increases they have imposed upon us already, ask your self why, "bad management", Inefficient public sector delivery of key infrastructure project and plain old incompetence.

NO to Licences;

Catch cards and the like will be bad enough, we are just about to cop it from the changes to the RRFF review, watch and see how we are screwed over.

Regards
    Honda.
    Do you "Disagree" that NSW anglers are better off now than they where prior to the licence ?

If you are serious about understanding alternatives to what is currently on offer - you really should do some research. In NSW they borrowed $20,000,000 from treasury to buy out ALL of the commercial effort from the designated RFH's to proved an IMEDIATE benefit to NSW recreational anglers - this was a loan & will be paid back in time - while still allowing a reasonable surplus to allow other beneficial activities to be paid for ie: research , more inspectors etc

The NSW license has been in place for many years now & I do not believe recreational angling has dropped off or become less popular in that time - if anything the evidence is of the contrary !

Again - How could YOU provide better infrastructure/ management to preserve our fisheries in Qld ?

Regards Scotto
    Last edited by Scott Mitchell; 05-09-2009 at 02:59 PM.

A general recreational fishing licence WOULD clearly show how many serious recreational anglers you had in the state - as you would ALL now be "Financial stake holders" . You would have a louder VOICE in political circles - You would have capital to invest in campaigns against recreational angling - IE: green zones & marine parks , WE would have a data base of ALL the SERIOUS recreational anglers - to communicate with, in an effort to gaining better support to protect the recreation that we passionately enjoy !

Or we can continue to whinge & complain about how hard done by we are

Interesting thought using licence funds to "invest in campaigns against recreational angling". I would have thought of it would have been to campaign in favour of recreational angling, hope this was a typo.

Database would not be available, information about those paying would be held by the Department collecting the licence money and cannot be released to anyone, so how would anybody be able to use it to communicate with anglers.

The issues would be who would administer the funds, Ecofish - know nothing about them and their web site is bare. Sunfush - no way.

Quote Originally Posted by STUIE63 View Post

well I will continue to whinge and complain as you put it and not suggest to the government another tax . and if they really want to know the financial stake I and other rec fishers have then why not add up what we spend on boats , bait and gear . the thousand I spent on a rod and reel one month ago is more of a stake than $30.00 a year

Stuie
    Now if we're already paying for improved fisheries management via our rego - how do we keep track of the revenue raised - and how do we have a say in where it is spent ?

No matter which way we raise the revenue - it has to be placed in a TRANSPARENT trust account - audited annually - and managed with the input of the wider recreational angling community with-in Queensland .

Now if there is a way to do this with out introducing a seperate license fee from scratch - with the template clearly outlined before it was implemented - I would be all for it. So all we need to do now is ask the Government to seperate ALL of the revenue raised from our regos & any "surplus funds" they may have available & put it all in a NEW transparent trust account & ask the wider angling community how we would like it spent !

I think we're onto some thing - I know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit !

Regards Scotto

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post

I voted NO, and I am not happy with DPI.

Why should I pay for my recreational activity. I already pay tax, I pay rego on my boat and car. They get tax on my insurance premiums. For what? I pay a licence fee it ends up the same as NSW, still get shut out of fishing areas and where does the money from licence go? Forget it, unless the money goes into a trust to be spent the way rec fisho's decide then its just a joke. It will never be that way, it will just feed some political party.

As for DPI management, I think that deserves a topic on its own. There is no shortage of capable talented people in DPI but at the end of the day its still a government department, choked by government process.
    The Model being proposed here is based on the NSW one which allocates ALL of the money raised from the license into 2 trust accounts - one for freshwater & one for saltwater. These accounts are managed by committees - consisting of recreational anglers from all over that state. Money is allocated towards research , angler education, habitat rehabilitation , possibly more buy outs etc etc etc - BECAUSE IT IS MANAGED BY RECREATIONAL ANGLERS

The Government CAN NOT just spend the money from the trust accounts - WITH OUT the majority of vote from the TRUST FUND COMMITTEES - which are made up of RECREATIONAL ANGLERS

These arguments against the current government will continue to hinder progress until the wider recreational angling community in Qld stop coming up with excuses as to why it won't happen & start voicing & support the motion THAT IT CAN HAPPEN with support from the MAJORITY of the recreational angling community in Qld. Take control of YOUR OWN DESTINTY & ACT or You will still be winging about how hard done by we all are when OUR fisheries are taken from us !

I love change - You go 1st

Regards Scotto

PS: The marine park shafting cannot be attributed to licenses & I am not sure how we better deal with these issue in future - although having accurate numbers of paid stakeholders has got to be better than guess work ?
    Last edited by Scott Mitchell; 05-09-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    A lot of old hard heads on here with stubborn mindsets about how things should be. Tunnel vision is rife and the goggles are firmly in place.

'No' is the easy answer isn't it, but surely there must be a way to get better outcomes for recreational fishers in decisions affecting the fishery. A licence would be equivalent to 'buying' a stake in the fishery which we a not currently recognised as having, and consequently we would have more influence on management decisions.

Honestly, the way some of you are going on you would think you are broke. How much does a new outfit cost you? A single fishing trip out in the boat? A nominal figure of say $30 would be a drop in the ocean compared to what most of you already spend, so why does this bother you so much financially?

Jeremy
    you can call me old..you can be me a hard head and you can call me sstubborn..do I have tunnel vision..absolutely not.

Your attitude is one of the new age pinky types..do you think you need to pay a fee to have a "stake"..no way..we are the citizens..we already own it...how many times do you want to pay for something you already have. The Govt are our employees..they are there to look after what belongs to all of us.

It has nothing to do with the $30..it is the principle..nothing more than a money grab if it was introduced. Did you complain about the rego increases? the fuel subsidy etc etc..I know I sure did.
    My local member cannot tell me where all the money has gone..this Govt has had the biggest increase in income of funds from when the GST was intriduced than at any time in the history of the State..where has it gone?

How about we add some more taxes onto the price of of fishing rods..another $5 each..$10 extra on all reels..another 25% on all tackle..how about it jeremy..only 5 or 10 bucks here and there and let the Govt have it...they do such a great job with OUR money.

I have never seen people so keen to give money to a totally corrupt and inept Govt as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post
    The Model I am proposing is based on the NSW one which allocates ALL of teh money raised from teh license into 2 trust accounts - one for freshwater & one for saltwater. These accounts are managed by committees - consisting of recreational anglers from all over that state. Money is allocated towards research , angler education, habitat rehabilitation , possibly more buy outs etc etc etc - BECAUSE IT IS MANAGED BY RECREATIONAL ANGLERS

The Government CAN NOT just spend the money from the trust accounts - WITH OUT the majority of vote from the TRUST FUND COMMITTEES - which are made up of RECREATIONAL ANGLERS

These arguments against the current government will continue to hinder progress until the wider recreational angling community in Qld stop coming up with excuses as to why it won't happen & start voicing & support the motion THAT IT CAN HAPPEN with support from the MAJORITY of the recreational angling community in Qld. Take control of YOUR OWN DESTINTY & ACT or You will still be winging about how hard done by we all are when OUR fisheries are taken from us !

I love change - You go 1st

Regards Scotto
    surely you do not honestly believe that..a Govt can change the rules any time they feel like it..plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    surely you do not honestly believe that..a Govt can change the rules any time they feel like it..plain and simple.
    Hasn't happened in NSW as yet - because it is LAW & LEGISLATED !

Let's stick to the facts - Scotto

There is only one group the Govt would have controlling anything like Scott's proposal and that is Sunfish..just the thought of that should start some laughter.
    The management committees should actually be made up from key recreational anglers across the state in specific zones

But On the Sunfish Note :-
    Divided we fall - And all we need now is another fragment group

To Quote Warren Steptoe from his Sunshine Connection column in Modern Fishing Jan 09'

Like other fishing "umbrella" organisations in this country. Sun fish hasn't been doing too well lately. Among rank & file people who fish, they lack credibility , and criticism that they're not making an effective stand against various ills assaulting recreational fishing is common.

What ever you think about them though . doing away with Sunfish and starting over is probably not the best way to gain effective advocacy for recreational fishing. It has taken a long time and a lot of effort by sincere people to get Sunfish to where it is today and to set up an alternative is almost unthinkable.Being realistic , it's just not going to happen in today's world. Not in any kind of short term anyway. END quote

Sunfish has a great new Chairman in Barry Pollock at present & I believe we NEED to support Sunfish - before we head off with "another" splinter group that divides our numbers again.

Until such time as our advocacy body has enough No-Strings-Attached funding to operate effectively - how it is , is how it's going to stay !!!!!

Regards Scotto

Your attitude is one of the new age pinky types
    you got me there LOL
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Members of committees are government appointees or approved by the government.

How would you propose that the independent members be appointed.

Legislation can be changed very easly.

Not worried anout the $$ although expect increases if introduced.

Governmemt will shift as much of its current expenditure for research, inspectors etc to the fund so we would be unlikely to be better off. The cost of running the fund and the committee would also have to come out of the monies raised.