View Poll Results: Based on the NSW Model - Would you be in favour of a General Fishing Licence ?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - If implemented on the NSW Model

84 41.58%
  • No - I am Happy with the current Qld Fisheries management

100 49.50%
  • I will post my Alternative Below

18 8.91%
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

well I will continue to whinge and complain as you put it and not suggest to the government another tax . and if they really want to know the financial stake I and other rec fishers have then why not add up what we spend on boats , bait and gear . the thousand I spent on a rod and reel one month ago is more of a stake than $30.00 a year
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

I voted NO

I have complete faith in the managment of QLDs fisheries it's the other goverment orginisations that allow pollution, mangrove destruction and industries into our fish habitats that we should be worried about They are destroying the fish breeding grounds ! make them get a bloody licience to pollute !!!!!!!!!!

It's the political back door deals that I can't stand !

Our recreational pastime should be preserved without political favour nor a new tax !

Unless this this is managed by rec anglers, as it is a rec angler tax I want nothing to do with it and will appose the concept !

Damo

I voted NO, and I am not happy with DPI.

Why should I pay for my recreational activity. I already pay tax, I pay rego on my boat and car. They get tax on my insurance premiums. For what? I pay a licence fee it ends up the same as NSW, still get shut out of fishing areas and where does the money from licence go? Forget it, unless the money goes into a trust to be spent the way rec fisho's decide then its just a joke. It will never be that way, it will just feed some political party.

As for DPI management, I think that deserves a topic on its own. There is no shortage of capable talented people in DPI but at the end of the day its still a government department, choked by government process.

i would have to say no no no to any more taxes, fees, to the goverment as they are already stripping to much monies away from us all in a hundred other ways, i cant see how it could help in the managment of our fish stockes. personaly i think its just another revenue maker for the government. sad thing is its going to happen sooner than latter.

If this proposal was to be implemented there is no way that the levels of funding that is currently applied to rec fishing would continue. The funding that is currently being applied to rec fishing would be either reduced or it would not be increased and would eventually be not sufficient to pay for the boat ramps and so on that our registrations currently are supposed to contribute for.
    So we would end up still paying our regos but that money would not contribute to rec fishing facilities and policing and on top of that we would be paying our licence money in to the Transparent fund and that would be providing the money for the boat ramps and so on.

I'd be all for it, if the model posted was to be maintained (in a perfect world).
    With what I spend on the boat, bait, lures etc in a month, the 'proposed' cost of a fishing license is a drop in the bucket, so to speak.

Sure, I can't help but be weary of what the current government might end up doing with our dollars, and as a scientist (professionally speaking), I'm disgusted with the so-called science that lead to the implementation of the green zones (or what i've read about it)....

But even if only 50% of the license fees ended where they should be, I feel we'd be much better off than where we are now. Plus, as previously mentioned, it would show some sign of solidarity. As it stands, do the pollies really know how many serious, amateur fishermen/women there are in the state? Wouldn't that give us a stronger voice?

I think we have to try, I believe that ECO is our best shot at it. If ECO and it's members were the ones that administered the cash then I would say absolutely yes! This is our best chance to take control. It has it's risks certainly but right now were looking down the barrel.

If it were implemented, the longer an organisation like ECO held and managed the funds the harder and harder it would be to take away.

As Rec Anglers start to see the benefits of it like the tailor returning in masses to Fraser as an example (if the beach netters were bought out). The bigger the momentum will be. More data collected by Rec Anglers from Rec Anglers to provide irrefutable evidence to Gov't of what the data actually says the harder it will be for them to screw us and get away with it.

The tourism minister would have to eventually see how much benefit it is to his portfolio too.

At the end of the day ladies and gents a fishing license is coming. Like it or not it's coming. Look what has just happened in W.A. it is outragous. For those of you out there saying "Don't give them an idea" you are the ones being naive. You don't think some slimy polly hasn't already considered it?

It's easy to sit back jadded already by such bad treatment in the past and say it's going to happen again. Well it IS going to happen again, you can bet your bottom dollar. If we don't do it they bloody well will! Why not have a crack??????Give it a real good shot at taking control for the benefit of all. If it lasts 10-15 years it will be super hard for them to change it. The power will be with us and it will be us putting the major pressure on DPI-F for policy changes because we will have the lions share of data, we will have the lions share of lobby money and we will be the ones that will show EPA that we are the major stake holders in this whole fight. We don't actually need 5000 or 10000 anglers to drive through the city to show our might. There will be a small band of Rec Angling brothers devoting their spare time with fists full of Dollars doing it for us.

Imagine if it was implemented tomorrow and a body like ECO (I keep saying ECO because they IMHO are the only truely viable solution right now) were managing it for 10-15 years and the majority of Rec Anglers were super happy with things like fishing havens, beach netters being bought out, resulting in the fibreglass forests returning to Fraser, inshore netting ceased or at least curbed considerably and things were looking good? Then they tried to make motions to change it so it went into consolidated revenue..... imagine the uproar if ECO used some of those funds to make a TV appeal to stop it happening? (I dont think we Rec Anglers would mind some of the cash being used to inform us we were being screwed to kick us into action)

The whole US system revolves around lobby groups. They are so powerfull they are even influencing our Gov't (PEW).

LETS BE THAT POWERFULL LOBY GROUP!

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Chris

P.S. hey FarNQ, if this were to take place and we did get a win in the early stages would you consider putting your hand up as an ECO rep to have a say in where the NQ portion of the money was spent??? Your exactly what ECO would need in the NQ arm IMHO! Maybe ECO could change the constitution so that the Vice President has to be a member from NQ?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Oh and I forgot, I would leave the licence fee's for fresh and Salt separate. I'm no expert but the Fresh Water guys got off thier backsides to get thier Scheme started and from all reports are going well, no need to involve them in our fight in the early stages. Sure have the salt and fresh as allies and lobby partners but things seem to be sailing nicely for them no need for us to potenially muddy their waters in our fight.

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

When the NSW license was introduced some 15 years ago it was $25- per adult - per year , It is now $30- Per adult per year. This is the sort of increase that you would expect over that time period. As far as where does the money go - the trusts are transparent & audited annually, You can get a copy of the annual budget from NSW DPI&F. ALL the money spent is approved by the trust committees - which consist of recreational anglers from each zone with-in the state.

Not sure what NSW Fisheries expenditure was prior to the licence - BUT I am pretty sure they never had the same amount of funding as they do under the current license scheme They even employed more inspectors with money from the trust which was another long debate - but voted worth while in the end. We did not want to become employers - rather stake holders with a voice !

Or we could ask the Government to just provide more funding for recreational angling because we believe we need it. I am sure they would review this favourably after public health , roads & infrastructure

REMEMBER - The PROPOSAL is to SUPPORT a general recreational angling licence BASED ONLY ON THE NSW MODEL :-
    • ALL money raised MUST go into transparent trust accounts - audited annually.
    • There MUST be trust account committees in charge of the expenditure - made up from recreation anglers who have key communications from with-in their zones across the state.
    • Administration costs to DPI&F must be capped at 10% - to aid in administration of the program. SIPS is currently 25% I believe ?
    THE BIG SWEETNER in getting this across the line ON OUR TERMS will be the commitment to create RFH's - Recreational Fishing Havens - where ALL commercial effort will be brought out from key recreational angling area's across the state. I am not that familiar with suitable Queensland waterways - but these must be spread across the entire state to provide true value to the wider recreational angling community.

The first step however is to get people talking about it.

Regards Scotto

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post
    No personal agenda & not looking to get into politics - just sick & tired of having our rights as anglers taken away , restricted access , marine parks & unsustainable fishing practises

Yeah so we'll all just sit here and sob

I still do not see any constructive alternative to a general recreational fishing licence ( Based on the NSW model as disclosed ) ?

ALL of those who have voted NO must be happy with the way our fisheries are being managed ?

A general recreational fishing licence WOULD clearly show how many serious recreational anglers you had in the state - as you would ALL now be "Financial stake holders" . You would have a louder VOICE in political circles - You would have capital to invest in campaigns against recreational angling - IE: green zones & marine parks , WE would have a data base of ALL the SERIOUS recreational anglers - to communicate with, in an effort to gaining better support to protect the recreation that we passionately enjoy !

Or we can continue to whinge & complain about how hard done by we are

Just a thought - Scotto
    Scott,

if you think that the introduction of a licence in any way shape or form will have any impact on your "rights" you are kidding yourself.

Have a look at what is proposed for NSW where they have licensing.

Wake up, the government is only looking to make more money on the increases they have imposed upon us already, ask your self why, "bad management", Inefficient public sector delivery of key infrastructure project and plain old incompetence.

NO to Licences;

Catch cards and the like will be bad enough, we are just about to cop it from the changes to the RRFF review, watch and see how we are screwed over.

Regards
    Honda.

there is only one group the Govt would have controlling anything like Scott's proposal and that is Sunfish..just the thought of that should start some laughter.

Scott..do you really think this Govt would leave funds in any sort of trust account? They need every cent they can get. I am afraid you are dreaming if you really think this could work with the current Govt we have.

A few examples of how they are trying to save money:
    Attempting to lower the surveillance time periods for sex offenders from 15 years to 5 years.
    close a wing at Woodford maximum security prison and put those prisoners on prison farms.

The only reason for any of this is to save money.

You mention buying out commercial fishermen..have a look at the system where they are supposedly buying out pros after the implementation of the green zones..that is another farce.

before I give up more money where is the increased boat and trailer rego going??? and GST on bait and fishing gear I pay enough money to the goverment on fishing and boat stuff for FA!!

A recreational fishing licence = a new tax

Every licence I have in my wallet has been assessed by an authority and granted as being competent, I know how to fish !

Hence just another tax

I voted the alternative, as NO meant I was happy with the current management.

Why are we looking towards the NSW model for guidance ?

Why not look to the NT model ?

The NT is probably the best managed recreational fishery in Aus. With no ficence and/or fees required.

It can be done.

"Us" coughing up extra to manage "our" fishery and associated facilities when we are already paying for it, (it many forms) is not the correct approach in my view.

While our indigenous brothers and sisters have the RIGHT to fish irrespespective of zonings, bag limits, size limits and gear regulations the is no way in hell I will pay for the SUPPOSED PRIVILEGE of being able to wet a line.

The system already has enough inequities towards rec fishos. I will not support any more.